Trying to decide between Verizon iPhone and DROID BIONIC?

adam1882

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Fragmentation in iOS? Hardly.

We develop apps for iOS and Android, as well as a number of other mobile platforms.

iOS has virtually no fragmentation, with device specific options limited to one or two specific features.

We have more than 20 Android configuration builds now, and we add more with practically every contract. The Android platform will die because of this fragmentation, as the cost to develop a meaningful "universal" Android App is more than three times the cost of developing that same App on iOS with a fraction of the revenue opportunity.

With no hardware restrictions whatsoever, the chances of one of our apps running on the next new platform to show up without significant modification is next to nil.

Contract programming on Android is more than three times the cost of the same app for iOS when we bid it out, and we are rarely under bid...

Support contracts are also more expensive as the OS still has significant issues with stability.

-t

I agree with everything u have said about apps but i don't think anyone can say there isn't any fragmentation on iOS there is a very small amount but nothing compared to Andriod. It's a shame for Andriod really because it does let the platform down.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything u have said about apps but i don't think anyone can say there isn't any fragmentation on iOS there is a very small amount but nothing compared to Andriod. It's a shame for Andriod really because it does let the platform down.

He knows, he said directly in his post:

iOS has virtually no fragmentation, with device specific options limited to one or two specific features.

Virtually =/= literally. He wasn't trying to say there was no fragmentation, he said it's miniscule compared to Android.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me some examples? and caps on are for yelling, there is no need for yelling here we are just having a conversation, if you talked to me in real life you wouldnt be yelling at me, trust me ;)

the fragmentation that I am talking about is not software numbers but rather software that dosent run because of so many hardware/screen/ram/manufactures out there...with apple they have pretty much a few models, that is it, so even if there is some fragmentation..at least all the apps run and run good, so please go ahead and tell me about your fragmentation?

Is that some kind of an attempt at making a threat over the internet? Classy.

All the apps run? So what about Facebook for iPad? I guess the app runs, so if I take you at your use of words, technically, yes! It can run. But does it run well? No. It's sad I have to change between my devices just to use all my apps effectively.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Android phones seem to perform good for 3-4 months then start acting up. A few months later it's antiquated. I think it speaks volumes about how good the iPhone 4 is to be mentioned in the same conversation as the very newest phones that just came out. And it's been out 15 months. 15 months from now, do you think anyone will be talking about a Droid Bionic??

dmilleville90

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from a Motorola Droid 2 to an iPhone 4 a couple of days ago. While i know the Bionic is much better than the Droid 2 i find the iPhone to be way better. The best way I can describe the iPhone 4 compared to android is polished, from the design to the operating system, everything feels polished and refined. I couldn't be happier with my IP 4. I had so many issues with my Droid to the point where I couldn't take it any longer.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
IMO, Android phones seem to perform good for 3-4 months then start acting up. A few months later it's antiquated. I think it speaks volumes about how good the iPhone 4 is to be mentioned in the same conversation as the very newest phones that just came out. And it's been out 15 months. 15 months from now, do you think anyone will be talking about a Droid Bionic??

No, I doubt that they will be. Furthermore, I doubt the Bionic will even be a thought 15 months from now....

madisonjar

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is that some kind of an attempt at making a threat over the internet? Classy.

All the apps run? So what about Facebook for iPad? I guess the app runs, so if I take you at your use of words, technically, yes! It can run. But does it run well? No. It's sad I have to change between my devices just to use all my apps effectively.

Really? No what it meant was if we were talking in real life you wouldnt be yelling at me, people dont go around just yelling at each other when having a conversation.

If I were making a threat to you it would go something like this, if you yelled at me in real life, it would be the last time you ever did that. Or if you yelled at me in real life, i would make sure you had something to yell about...somewhere along those lines, it wouldn't be hidden in secret code...so when I say you wouldn't be yelling at me in real life, trust me...it means if you and I were talking you wouldn't be yelling at me. Also while I don't know whats wrong with Facebook for iPad as you never really stated anything, I will assume that there will be problems with programs as people make programs and they can all be coded bad, my point about fragmentation is it is really non existent as the hardware models and software is all controlled by apple, whereas with Android (as even a developer stated, who knows probably a lot more then you or I on this issue) that you have to make Different versions for alot of different hardware and software models...thanks.

RemmyZero

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree. Today alone I've talked and looked something up on the Internet. If a grown adult can't multitask then they have bigger issues then worrying about which phone to purchase. I personally love being able to do 3 way calling and talk/surf. I've had many conference calls with co-workers regarding work and other things.

well i'll stand corrected then but i'll still say i've never missed it and don't really need it. and to be fair, i've never had any of my acquaintances/coworkers/friends who have at&t comment that it's a feature to die for....i can send a text while i talk and that's all i need.

to be fair, i still hardly call that a reason to say the verizon iPhone is "crippled". plus the verizon LTE devices support "surf & talk" so give it time and that won't be a real issue for any carrier i suspect.

when someone says a phone is crippled i would think that's because of a major issue, i.e. - no 3G capability, no MMS capability, no support for flash, no support for office docs, email isn't push, poor reception, horrible battery, etc. etc....

and of my *personal* opinion/experience, i haven't met many adults who can type on a computer and talk to someone standing next to them at the same time without losing place in one task or the other several times during the course of the activity. come to think of it i haven't met many 20 or 30 somethings that can do it either....lol....

edit******************

i have to add that at this point i truly think the iPhone on screen keyboard is garbage, highly inaccurate and tough to use. the word prediction/correction and space on the android keyboards is far superior, and this is coming from a guy who has used the storm 1 and storm 2 keyboards as well! i'll be fair to say i think my zagg shield is messing with the touchscreen but i haven't pulled it off to confirm this yet. either way the spell correction and prediction software is horrid.

there are many little nuances in the iPhone that make it annoying....can't move photos between albums from your picture roll for instance...what's up with that? can't use it as USB mass storage...why not? no SDcard support...in this day and age??

3rd party apps for customization are nil unless you jailbreak. and honestly i have just as many app crashes on my iphone as i did on my android, the difference is the second time i press an icon the app will usually run on the iphone, ha ha!

sometimes the phone shuts off and won't turn back on unless i fiddle it into recovery mode....i dunno why, just happens.

regarding the screen, having come from a droid X, thunderbolt, etc. i missed the big screen at first but am very happy with the size and clarity on the retina display.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually bought a Bionic, and have now decided to sell it. I've gotten used to using the iPhone. While it's not nearly as customizable, it is one thing: RELIABLE. I know I'm not going to miss any calls, my data will stay strong, and unless I abuse the living heck out of it, my battery will still be going strong at the end of the day. I have decided I love them both, but until VZW can get their LTE issues straightened out, and Android can last 24 hours on a single charge with rather heavy use, I think it's iPhone all day long for me (pun intended).

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Really? No what it meant was if we were talking in real life you wouldnt be yelling at me, people dont go around just yelling at each other when having a conversation.

If I were making a threat to you it would go something like this, if you yelled at me in real life, it would be the last time you ever did that. Or if you yelled at me in real life, i would make sure you had something to yell about...somewhere along those lines, it wouldn't be hidden in secret code...so when I say you wouldn't be yelling at me in real life, trust me...it means if you and I were talking you wouldn't be yelling at me. Also while I don't know whats wrong with Facebook for iPad as you never really stated anything, I will assume that there will be problems with programs as people make programs and they can all be coded bad, my point about fragmentation is it is really non existent as the hardware models and software is all controlled by apple, whereas with Android (as even a developer stated, who knows probably a lot more then you or I on this issue) that you have to make Different versions for alot of different hardware and software models...thanks.

I got paid to yell at people in real life.

I was a Drill Instructor my last two years in. LoL

Sent using smoke and mirrors.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone trying to decide between a Verizon iPhone and a DROID BIONIC? If you absolutely can't wait for next month and a possible iPhone 5 to consider, and have to get one of these phones now, this is the thread for you.

If you have questions or need help deciding, fire away!

I've never been an Android fan. I like the iPhone because of the ease of use, battery life is WAYYY better than android phones, better UI (to me at least), better build quality, the OS is a lot more stable also.

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Loved many things about the Android platform. Mainly the upgradable memory via the SD cards. And probably most was the removable battery. I do sort of hate not being able to change it myself. Now i know i CAN but that opens up a whole different can of worms. It just seems that apple like to keep the iphone reigned in close.

But at the end of the day i chose the ip4 because the phone is like a bic lighter. It works first time every time.

Sent using smoke and mirrors.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73