Using FaceTime as baby monitor

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone think of a reason not to do this? I'm considering setting up my wifes iPhone along with mine to do an all-night audio/video baby monitor. FaceTime uses wifi, so you're not using any minutes, right?

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Keep the phones plugged in, because FaceTime saps battery quickly and they'd die pretty quick. And, does your kid sleep in the dark? If so, how will you be able to see anything?

It does seem like a novel idea.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well he's only 2 weeks old, so we'd put a night light on for him either way. And keeping the phones plug in... That's a good idea. I don't think it would work otherwise.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I do wonder about how notifications would be...do they interrupt FaceTime? Also consider if you have new email sounds, etc.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should....

If it were me, I'd get one of these: Panasonic BL-C131A Network Camera - and use my iPhone to view it when I wanted to... but that's just me. :D

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should....

If it were me, I'd get one of these: Panasonic BL-C131A Network Camera - and use my iPhone to view it when I wanted to... but that's just me. :D

FaceTime is free, that camera is $200. I think the camera would be awesome, but even better than the camera is saving $200.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
2 weeks old? isnt it a better idea to sleep the baby in the same room as you? my boy is a week old and he sleeps in the same room as us but in a crib with a bassinet.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
2 weeks old? isnt it a better idea to sleep the baby in the same room as you? my boy is a week old and he sleeps in the same room as us but in a crib with a bassinet.

Yeah, so does ours, but I was thinking about in the next couple weeks. We might give it a try soon though; he is such a noisy sleeper always grunting.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I want video. That app doesn't have video. How is that better? Oh, and it's not free like FaceTime is.

Because if you are on FaceTime and for some reason it loses connection, and it does that, you will need to go in to the room to reset it. That might not be bad until you realize your child wakes up :(

While I agree free is nice, it's your child and really what is a few dollars. Even if you buy it and don't use it. Considering real baby monitors can cost $20 and up. I picked it up and have used it, not in my own home, my kids are way past monitors, but when we are away and we put the kids to bed. If we can't hear them I use the app to call my Wife's phone.

Now for my official dad advice ( father of 2 ). If you really want video, which is nice, get a real video monitor. One of the new ones that use infrared so you can see in the dark. We had one from 8 years ago and it worked ok in the dark but not great.

Btw. CONGRATS!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner