Score a saving on iPad Pro (2021): $100 off at Amazon

  1. jdong217#IM's Avatar
    So I'm studying in Hong Kong until the end of this year and I'm considering buying an unlocked iPhone 4 since it's not that expensive. Just a few questions about how this all works.

    1) I would have a sim card from Hong Kong. If I brought it back to the U.S. would me for local use, I should get a new sim card right?

    2) I normally use Verizon when I'm back in the U.S., but since this would only be compatible with AT&T, how would I be charged by them? I mean, if I want to get a U.S. number and use AT&T's service, how do I go about obtaining a sim card? I've lived in the U.S. all my life and never seen sim cards for sale anywhere

    3) If the iPhone 5 does come out this year and it does indeed have 4G service and I buy it in Hong Kong (unlocked obviously), if I brought it back to the U.S. could I get 4G service with AT&T?

    4) There's absolutely no way for me to use Verizon if I bring back an unlocked iPhone?
    Last edited by jdong217; 09-06-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    09-06-2011 12:21 PM
  2. Alli's Avatar
    The answer to your most pressing question is no. There is no way to use a GSM sim unlocked phone on Verizon, which is a CDMA carrier (doesn't even have a sim slot).

    If you bring a sim unlocked phone back to the US, you would have to go to AT&T (or T-Mobile) and buy a sim. You would basically be doing pay as you go.

    We don't know anything about the iPhone 5 yet - it hasn't even been announced by Apple.
    09-07-2011 06:05 AM