Considering buying an unlocked iPhone while I'm in Hong Kong. Tons of questions

jdong217#IM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So I'm studying in Hong Kong until the end of this year and I'm considering buying an unlocked iPhone 4 since it's not that expensive. Just a few questions about how this all works.

1) I would have a sim card from Hong Kong. If I brought it back to the U.S. would me for local use, I should get a new sim card right?

2) I normally use Verizon when I'm back in the U.S., but since this would only be compatible with AT&T, how would I be charged by them? I mean, if I want to get a U.S. number and use AT&T's service, how do I go about obtaining a sim card? I've lived in the U.S. all my life and never seen sim cards for sale anywhere

3) If the iPhone 5 does come out this year and it does indeed have 4G service and I buy it in Hong Kong (unlocked obviously), if I brought it back to the U.S. could I get 4G service with AT&T?

4) There's absolutely no way for me to use Verizon if I bring back an unlocked iPhone?

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The answer to your most pressing question is no. There is no way to use a GSM sim unlocked phone on Verizon, which is a CDMA carrier (doesn't even have a sim slot).

If you bring a sim unlocked phone back to the US, you would have to go to AT&T (or T-Mobile) and buy a sim. You would basically be doing pay as you go.

We don't know anything about the iPhone 5 yet - it hasn't even been announced by Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR