So here's my story: I'm moving to Brasil in one month. Since the USA uses CDMA technology, and basically every other country in the world uses GSM, I needed to buy a new phone. Retail goods are extremely expensive in Brasil (converted to USD, a 16GB iPhone 4 is ~$1,200), so I decided to buy an unlocked iPhone yesterday from the Apple Store in order to save myself some cash.

As a result, I've got a beautiful iPhone with no SIM card. When I plug the phone into iTunes, I get a message saying to insert a valid SIM card with no PIN lock...it appears I'm unable to continue setup until I have this. Is there a way I can setup my iPhone without having the SIM card without voiding the warranty? Basically all I want to do is setup my apps, etc...it's tough when you're just staring at something like an iPhone, knowing what it's capable of doing, but you can't do anything with it!

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by tmac9wr; 09-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    09-05-2011 11:58 AM
    You can "HACKTIVATE" by jaiilbreaking but will void warranty if you don't restore before bringing to apple store
    OR
    Insert ANY sim card and connect to iTunes... AT LEAST 1 of your friends or family member have a working sim card I'm sure
    tmac9wr likes this.
    09-05-2011 12:22 PM
    You can "HACKTIVATE" by jaiilbreaking but will void warranty if you don't restore before bringing to apple store
    OR
    Insert ANY sim card and connect to iTunes... AT LEAST 1 of your friends or family member have a working sim card I'm sure
    Ok great! Thanks! So when I remove the 'dummy' SIM card and input my new, functioning one upon arrival in Brasil, all the info will remain the same?
    09-05-2011 12:42 PM
    All the settings and stuff will remain the same except that you will have a new phone number.
    tmac9wr likes this.
    09-05-2011 12:56 PM
    All the settings and stuff will remain the same except that you will have a new phone number.
    Great, thanks again! Now I just gotta find a SIM card...maybe in my old BlackBerry...
    09-05-2011 01:13 PM
    Ok great! Thanks! So when I remove the 'dummy' SIM card and input my new, functioning one upon arrival in Brasil, all the info will remain the same?
    Good luck, in the process make sure you closely follow the instructions!
    09-05-2011 01:15 PM
    If its an iPhone 4 you will need a Micro Sim.
    09-05-2011 02:30 PM
    Yes you can cut one out yourself or purchase one from a carrier for around $10
    09-05-2011 02:44 PM
    I had a couple SIM cards, but unfortunately they weren't Micro SIMs. If I buy a Micro SIM from somewhere, will I need to activate it in order to set up the phone? Also, does the fact that this is a GSM phone make it so it won't work with a network based on CDMA?

Thanks again!
    09-05-2011 04:27 PM
    You can buy a micro sim from AT&T I'm sure .. Or buy a sim cutter online to cut your old card to make it fit .. Gsm phone will not work on CDMA or vise versa they are two different technology .. A CDMA phone doesn't even use a sim card that's why there is no sim slot . If I was you I would just go to apple and ask nice explain the situation and in sure one of them would pop a sim card in and hook it to iTunes to get past the activation screen
    tmac9wr likes this.
    09-05-2011 04:43 PM
    You can buy a micro sim from AT&T I'm sure .. Or buy a sim cutter online to cut your old card to make it fit .. Gsm phone will not work on CDMA or vise versa they are two different technology .. A CDMA phone doesn't even use a sim card that's why there is no sim slot . If I was you I would just go to apple and ask nice explain the situation and in sure one of them would pop a sim card in and hook it to iTunes to get past the activation screen
    yea that's true...maybe I'll do that tomorrow at work.
    09-05-2011 04:48 PM
    Kudos to buying ur iPhone, like previously said in the forum, you have to hacktivate it

Sent from my White iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    09-05-2011 09:42 PM
    Kudos to buying ur iPhone, like previously said in the forum, you have to hacktivate it

Sent from my White iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    He does not need to hack to ate it as its already unlocked. All he has to do is pop in ANY micro sim card (can be inactivated as well) and the phone will activate as its an unlocked iPhone
    09-06-2011 10:03 PM
    I think he said he didn't have an active sim

Sent from my 16 Gig iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2011 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD