Opinions Please! is the 4 worth it?

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
i am the type of person who analyzes everything.. so, on October 1st I have the opportunity to get an iphone 4. My question is, is it worth it? I have been reading on the web of many people having issues with it, like camera stops working, reception, etc.

If I get a later model (in october) from the 2010 ones, has apple fixed the 'proximity sensor' issue?

or is it better just to get the 3gs?
thank you in advance...

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
For the average user, yes the I4 is sufficient. For those of us that love technology and want to take advantage of the latest and greatest (i.e. 4g/LTE, Dual Core, etc.) I would wait for the I5.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You should just wait for the 5 to come out. I think that is what I am going to do when my wife is eligible for her upgrade. October 1st is so close to the i5.

I would wait.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
But is anyone having problems with it? did they fix the proximity sensor issue since the phone came out?

also, I'm always leary of getting a phone when it first comes out...

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The only time I had a proximity sensor issue was because of the screen protector. I cut out a notch in it and then had no issues (ie cheek dialing). Without the screen protector I had no such proximity sensor issues. I have had Blackberries & Android based phones and the iPhone by far is the only device that I have had zero issues. It just works. :)

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
No proximity sensor or any other issues here. If I remember correctly the proximity sensor issue was software related and long since fixed.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b6 using Tapatalk.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i am the type of person who analyzes everything.. so, on October 1st I have the opportunity to get an iphone 4. My question is, is it worth it? I have been reading on the web of many people having issues with it, like camera stops working, reception, etc.

If I get a later model (in october) from the 2010 ones, has apple fixed the 'proximity sensor' issue?

or is it better just to get the 3gs?
thank you in advance...

I have had the iPhone 4 since launch day and am very happy. The iPhone(next) is rumored to be released on 10/7, so if you want the iPhone4, I would wait until then. Rumors are that the current iPhone 4 will be the new "entry level" iPhone, and as such, will be reduced in price - expect it to be in the $100 range. So waiting another week (after the October 1 date you mentioned above) would save you about $100. And you will get iOS 5, too.

There have been reported issues that Apple has addressed (antenna, proximity sensor) with software and design changes... but to be honest, I have not experienced any of them on an ongoing basis. I have always upgraded my OS, so that no doubt helped... but the iPhone 4 is a solid piece of technology that will serve you well into the future.

Personally, I don't see the iPhone 3GS being available after the release of the iPhone(next), so I would avoid it as the dead-end product that it is becoming.

But that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Hank, you mentioned if I get the 4 I would get ios5? I'm new to all this, doesn't the iphone 4 come with ios4?

Thats the plan, to hopefully see a price drop in the 4 when the 5 comes out..

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Hank, you mentioned if I get the 4 I would get ios5? I'm new to all this, doesn't the iphone 4 come with ios4?

Thats the plan, to hopefully see a price drop in the 4 when the 5 comes out..

iOS 5 will be available to iPhone 4. Old hardware with new software around $100

iPhone 5 with ios 5 will be new hardware with new software around $200.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
iOS 5 will be available to iPhone 4. Old hardware with new software around $100

iPhone 5 with ios 5 will be new hardware with new software around $200.

dmt316 beat me to the punch... but yes, depending on what version of iOS is on the iPhone 4 when you get it, you can always upgrade for free... so as long as the version works with your hardware, you can upgrade and get the newest software features. There is always the possibility of the software outpacing the hardware... and in that case (like with the iPhone 3G / 3GS) some software features are disabled because the hardware can't/doesn't support the feature... I guess that's always a possibility.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine has been great. Best phone on the market now even though its 14 months old. But the new one should be here in 6 weeks. Not that far away.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Got it.. thanks.

one more question, to upgrade the software, do I have to jailbreak the phone? or can you upgrade without doing that?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Got it.. thanks.

one more question, to upgrade the software, do I have to jailbreak the phone? or can you upgrade without doing that?

Plug it into iTunes and hit update. Thats simple. Once you are on 5.0, all updates after that can be done OTA.

totallygone

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I have had no problems with the iPhone, and I have had it for a few months now. No regrets. There are so many apps available for almost anything you want.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Number 5 for sure! I'm not really happy with 4. Connection problems quite often, battery gets empty super quick. Well 5 is not a guarentee that this gets better, hope dies last.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Number 5 for sure! I'm not really happy with 4. Connection problems quite often, battery gets empty super quick. Well 5 is not a guarentee that this gets better, hope dies last.

Not seeing "connection problems quite often", and no "battery gets empty super quick". Perhaps your issues are the result of how you use your phone. I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent, but how do you use your phone? Are you jailbroken? Streaming a lot of video/audio? Lots of location based activities? Just curious to see what is causing your battery drain.

I expect iOS 5 and the iPhone(next) to have better battery life - I am already seeing a big improvement over 4.3.3, which was fantastic, IMHO.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my iPhone 4 and would recommend it to anyone without question. However, two things to consider here are; one, the next iPhone is less than a month and a half from being released, and two, the iPhone 4 is going to be at least $100 cheaper than it is right now once the next iPhone comes out. That said, I would wait it out before jumping on anything.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR