Confessions of a smart phone hopper

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So, being an iPhone owner and pretty loyal (with some exception) to Apple, I guess it kinda goes with the territory to be anti-Android by default. Well, I figured if I was gonna be anti-Android, I couldn't base those decisions on blogs and reviews, but I'd need to find out for myself. So, I went out and got one of the top of the line Android phones - figured if I was gonna do it, might as well do it big. I got the Samsung Infuse 4G. At first, this phone was amazing. Ran very smoothly, had a similar to the iPhone UI, so I was able to not have to experience a lot of a learning curve, some awesome homescreen widgets, and that beautiful 4.5 inch screen! (which Netflix looked AMAZING on btw).

Three weeks in, and the honeymoon phase was over. At first, I thought Android really showed me up. Then I realized that Apple knows what it's doing (even if it is a bit more closed off than then open platform of the Android market). Here's what were the deal breakers for me: I had to use apps in order to kill off tasks that were using too much CPU and causing the phone to slow down, I had to use another app just to get decent battery life, in short - lots of micro managing that I wasn't used to having to do with the iPhone. Then those widgets ... oh, how I loved the widgets ... but apparently they use more data than expected. I check my data usage often since I'm on the 2GB plan, and I average maybe 10-25mb per day depending on my usage (I'm around a lot of wifi). I noticed that in a 4 hour period away from wifi, those widgets used over 127mb of data. What the heck! .. I'd be over my limit in no time! On top of all this, the Android platform needed a good reboot or battery pull every couple of days just to stay snappy. So lame.

In short, I soon had buyer's remorse and couldn't wait to get back to my iPhone. I timed it perfectly as I barely made it back to Best Buy in my 30-day period to return that phone. Now, I can honestly say that I don't like Android - not just because I love Apple and it's to be expected and I read some tech geek's review - but because I actually tried it for myself. I wanted to love it. I wanted to love that Infuse. But fate, and smart technology, overpowered that.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I totally know what you mean. But for me it was the other way around, I had a droid x and I thought all that stuff was normal for a smartphone. Then I tried an iPhone and realized what I'd been missing lol

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Haha, yeah. After a couple weeks I was just thinking this can't be right. At the end of the day, the only thing missed is that gorgeous screen - but even that caused a quick battery drain.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was on a Blackberry before I got my iPhone. I was constantly frustrated and annoyed at little things that my BB wouldn't be able to do/didn't do well.

Then I got an iPhone...

Now i'll never go back :)

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 and decided to give android a try. I had a Galaxy S and then a Moto Atrix 4G. At first it was fun to mess around and flash custom roms, etc.

Then I got bored of having to mess around, flash custom software and constantly reboot it just to get it to run as smoothly as my iPhone 4 did out of the box.

The hardware in the top of the line Android phones kicks arse, but the OS needs work and is too fragmented.

I am happily back on my iPhone 4

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b6 using Tapatalk.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I am tempted to jump on the Android train.

Like the above, they're fun to have for a little while but once you get over the"oh widgets are awesome!" phase, you won't really have much left. So if you can get one for cheap I would recommend trying one but if not, stick with iphone.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Can we correct the topic subject now? Every time I see that this topic has unread replies I picture Bill Gates on a pogo stick with a Windows phone in his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

friendly

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I also know people who think that their droid is good, never saying anything because I don't want to bother them or start a discussion, but I know they never tried an iPhone :)

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing, only in the opposite direction. Was an android user, but decided to try the iphone since I had never used one before. Really happy with the iphone, and I love the integration with apple tv. I don't really have a whole lot of bad things to say about android though. Both platforms seem to have their ups/downs, in my opinion.

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I miss about android phones is the fact that I don't have to go through 4 phones before getting one that don't have light leakage, yellow screen. Now my phone has "lines" going left to right on the screen. Once iOS 5 is out I'm taking it to apple for another (6th) phone.

I hated the widgets use on my droid 2, drained the battery quicker than anything. I can't even do half the stuff on the droid as I can on the iPhone.

redneck86

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The main two things i miss about my Blackberry(world edition, cant remember series number) is the physical keyboard and BBM which was about as good as it got when it came to IMs.

The main things i dont miss about my BB is the massive memory leaks with 3rd party apps to control it and the track ball that crapped out every month or so.
I went thru 5 track balls and 2 phones( due to the sensor under ball going out) I had the phone for 15mo.

I did miss crackberry but then i found its iphone counterpart.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I totally know what you mean. But for me it was the other way around, I had a droid x and I thought all that stuff was normal for a smartphone. Then I tried an iPhone and realized what I'd been missing lol

You're exactly quoting someone, for a second time...

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I had tried the Sony X10, HTC Magic, Motorola Atrix and maybe a couple others I cant think of... I'm happy with the iPhone 4, had the 3GS and 3G for a while before the iPhone 4.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I had a Blackberry Curve back in the day, then the Nokia E71x, then the iPhone 2G, then another Blackberry, then the iPhone 3G, then another Blackberry, then back to the 3GS, then the iPhone 4, then I tried another Blackberry (lol, notice a trend?) then once again back to the iPhone 4 ... then most recently that Android .. and voila, back to the iPhone 4 yet again. I'm not too sure why I kept going back to Blackberry so much when I knew it couldn't beat out the iPhone for my preferences. Oh well. The iPhone is like that one relationship you keep going back to even though you try to have flings with other people during "breaks", hahaha

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing, only in the opposite direction. Was an android user, but decided to try the iphone since I had never used one before. Really happy with the iphone, and I love the integration with apple tv. I don't really have a whole lot of bad things to say about android though. Both platforms seem to have their ups/downs, in my opinion.

I'm in roughly the same boat. I'm currently on a Droid X. Prior to the DX, I used a Droid. Prior to that, a couple of Blackberry phones, some Windows Mobile Phones, and a Treo that I loathed with all my being. The Gingerbread update for my DX ruined my phone. Verizon's solution was to send me another DX, also with the Gingerbread update. Instead, I decided to hit eBay and get something different. I've never had an iPhone, though I've played with a few prior. The previous iterations have done nothing for me in terms of UI and form. The iPhone 4 seems to grab my attention more, and I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces as soon as the phone arrives in the mail (soon, I hope). If it doesn't work out for me, I'll probably sell it off and give WP7 a try. Except for the miserable Treo, each of the phones have had things I've loved and things I've loathed. I'll go with whichever has the least stuff to loathe.

Vakks

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm incredibly tempted to try out an Android. You can't ignore its presence in the market so it must be good. I've had a Blackberry, and I currently got an iPod Touch 64GB (another reason why I don't want an iPhone at the moment) so Android it is.