While I often record video with my phone there is something about it that really annoys me.

If you hold the phone vertically and record video and afterwards you'd upload it to Youtube or put it on your Mac the video is shaped rectangular!

Even if you put the video in full screen mode the video just stays rectangular but only bigger.

If you were to upload it to Youtube you'd have the same problem! Rectangular video and black edges!

Now if I were to hold the phone horizontally it broadcasts it in widescreen (used the complete Youtube Window)

Is there no possibility at all to make these video's widescreen or screen fitting?

VLC media player but shows my video horizontally....

Quicktime and iTunes do it correct, but rectangular.

Sigh...

I checked iMovie and there seems to be no function that would allow me to change this + it takes alot of time to render a video each time!

I hope you guys can help me..
    08-17-2011 07:06 AM
    double tap the video while recording to see what ur actually shooting.
    08-19-2011 04:48 AM
    It's hd video. It was designed to be shot in landscape mode.
    08-19-2011 06:25 AM
    Quicktime Pro has a orientation setting you can adjust which will change this...but honestly, why go through all that when you can simply shoot video in landscape mode? It solves all the problems before you even record anything...i guess i just don't see why this is such an issue for you when he solution is almost mindless...
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-19-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    08-19-2011 07:33 AM
    Quicktime Pro has a orientation setting you can adjust which will change this...but honestly, why go through all that when you can simply shoot video in landscape mode? It solves all the problems before you even record anything...i guess i just don't see why this is such an issue for you when he solution is almost mindless...
    Sean, if you record your video in landscape mode and want to view it back on your iphone in landscape mode is impossible, the video will automatically flip to the normal view deeming the landscape viewing useless.

So I figured recording in normal mode would fix this (and it does) but with the black edges.

But thanks 4 info, I'll just record in landscape mode from now on.

:o
    08-19-2011 08:17 AM
    Say what? I always record in landscape, and then turn to view in landscape.
    08-19-2011 01:37 PM
    Sean, if you record your video in landscape mode and want to view it back on your iphone in landscape mode is impossible, the video will automatically flip to the normal view deeming the landscape viewing useless.

So I figured recording in normal mode would fix this (and it does) but with the black edges.

You are 100% wrong (assuming your iPhone is working normally). If i record a video in landscape mode, it will play just fine in landscape mode. Perhaps your phone has a problem, if that's the case, i would suggest a restore or a trip to the Apple store.
    08-19-2011 04:15 PM
    Check other apps for better video capture. If you're more on videos, you can switch on to different video apps from time to time. Load 'em up, bro.
    08-21-2011 11:10 AM

Um no. You can view videos recorded in landscape mode in landscape or portrait mode.

NOTE: If you have the screen rotation locked (set to portrait only), all videos will play back in portrait mode regardless of what view they are recorded in. I bet money that is your issue.

---
    - Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b6 using Tapatalk.
    08-21-2011 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD