Hi all,

Looking at getting an iPhone 4, possibly 5 if its released soon? but as this is my first ever Apple product, I have no experience of the email side of things, and coming from a Blackberry background, I really need the push email.

My main email accounts are with live.co.uk & hotmail.co.uk, and I remember that Apple & Hotmail weren't always best friends in the early days, so do they play nicely together these days?

I can of course also use gmail & yahoo, but I'd rather not have to if possible (do these accounts also support real time push emails?)

Or should I be considering something else?

I'd be most grateful for any insights or help you could offer.

Yours,

A future Apple user
    08-07-2011 01:46 PM
    Both Hotmail and Live support the exchange activesync protocol which allows for push email. The iPhone supports activesync in its native email application. Just make sure you select "Exchange" as the account type when setting up for the first time. Auto discover will take care of most of the settings, you just need to supply your email address and password during setup.

UPDATE:
    The server address is m.hotmail.com. Enter this when prompted. Just tried it on my iPhone, works a treat.
    Last edited by auntiewiv; 08-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    08-07-2011 02:14 PM
    Both Hotmail and Live support the exchange activesync protocol which allows for push email. The iPhone supports activesync in its native email application. Just make sure you select "Exchange" as the account type when setting up for the first time. Auto discover will take care of most of the settings, you just need to supply your email address and password during setup.

UPDATE:
    The server address is m.hotmail.com. Enter this when prompted. Just tried it on my iPhone, works a treat.
    Cool thanks

Just as an aside, do you think its worth getting an iPhone4 now, not sure its going to be worth the wait for another 2 months?

Thanks again
    08-07-2011 02:51 PM
    i know i had an issue when i got my iphone because gmail wasn't instant. then i used gmail exchange and it came in just as fast as my berry sometimes a couple seconds before my berry.
    08-07-2011 03:16 PM
    I would wait for the iPhone 5 release. Then you can either have iPhone 5 or pick up a cheaper iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is still a very good phone.
    08-07-2011 03:20 PM
    Cool, thanks guys, appreciate the info
    08-07-2011 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD