Sell my iphone 4 now and use my backup until iphone 5 or sell my backup?

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I just purchased a Thunderbolt for 180 to use as my backup phone and I use my iphone 4 as my primary phone. I was planning on selling the thunderbolt online for near 250 or so and make some $$ but I started thinking. What if I sold my iphone 4 when the iphone 5 was announced and use my tbolt until I use my upgrade to get the iphone 5? I purchased the Iphone 4 out of contract for 400 about 4-5 months ago and I think I can sell it online for about that same amount right now. Obviously, the sooner I sell it the more I will get back relative to iphone 5's release. What would you guys do? Thanks.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I just bought mine off contract for 350 USD (16GB). I used a local classified site to buy it, but anything at or above 400 didn't go extremely fast. Then again its only a local site.

I would sell the android as it doesn't keep its resell value as much as the iPhone does, but thats just my opinion.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My hubby desperately needed a new phone and wanted an ip4 (and I was lusting after a white one) so I put my one year old ip4 on eBay last Tuesday (warranty ran out Friday) and it sold for $453. All of the ones I watched were going for at least that. Two "water damaged does not work" phones went for $390 & 398! People are crazy!

I know you all probably think I'm crazy for picking up 2 ip4's so close to the new ones release, but I'm just not as hard core as some of you! :p (well that, and I have the in-laws line available for upgrade in another month!) ;)

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap that is insane (price for the iphone 4 especially the water damaged ones)!

I have an upgrade eligibility on Sept. 24th (the last yearly upgrade available from Verizon). So, I hope we will hear something concrete about the new Iphone 5 (4S?).

I don't know which route to take. I could sell the Thunderbolt now and make a little chump change or I can sell the Iphone 4 and make back what I paid, and still keep my backup when I get the Iphone 5.

Cell phones eat up too much of my time!

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If you really want the ip5, and you sell your ip4 BEFORE 5's release, you can upgrade and still have $200+ in your wallet at the end of the day.

You are correct...once the new one hits the market, there will be a flood of ip4's being sold and the prices WILL go down.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you really want the ip5, and you sell your ip4 BEFORE 5's release, you can upgrade and still have $200+ in your wallet at the end of the day.

You are correct...once the new one hits the market, there will be a flood of ip4's being sold and the prices WILL go down.

Yea, thats what is what I would do if I sold my iphone 4. That's why I would use the Tbolt as a piggy back ride until iPhone 5 came out. Then it is another 2 years with Verizon when I upgrade. Hmmm. Any other scenarios you can think of? I appreciate all the help so far.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't be of much help where vzw is concerned. I'm on at&t and we have a 5 line family plan, 2 lines with data and unlimited family text so the main line (mine) gets a 1 year upgrade* versus 2 because of the price we pay each month. That's why I was willing to sell my old ip4. Of course my husband thinks I'm a genius! ;) LOL!

*for now anyway...

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Geez, i thought the price i paid was just about right. The local site i use is usually overpriced. We had some water damaged ones too. 32 was going for 400. a couple 16gbs at 250ish.
Glad to have got it for 350 :)

I didn't really think about the rush of iPhone 4s in the market. I would probably sell it as soon as you feel confident enough that the 5/4g/4s comes out this fall. As soon as an announcement comes you'll probably see a lot of people doing the same thing you are thinking of doing.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Geez, i thought the price i paid was just about right. The local site i use is usually overpriced. We had some water damaged ones too. 32 was going for 400. a couple 16gbs at 250ish.
Glad to have got it for 350 :)

Yep! It's probably a break even between selling it local or on eBay, considering their fees. I made enough to get the 2 new phones without going out of pocket, so I'm happy.

I totally didn't get the water damaged phones selling for so much unless people are going to try for a warranty exchange?! :confused:

Last edited:

E350

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This is what i did 1 month ago,
Backed up my Iphone 4 on iTunes, reset to factory setting and sold on craigslist for $425. ( bought with upgrade for $199 at ATT )
Bought rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150, using it till new Iphone 5 comes out in fall.
Will buy new Iphone 5 with upgrade for $199.
Sell Rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150.
The End
T.

Last edited:

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This is what i did 1 month ago,
Backed up my Iphone 4 on iTunes, reset to factory setting and sold on craigslist for $425. ( bought with upgrade for $199 at ATT )
Bought rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150, using it till new Iphone 5 comes out in fall.
Will buy new Iphone 5 with upgrade for $199.
Sell Rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150.
The End
T.

Well, I sold that Thunderbolt that I bought for 180 and sold it for about 275 plus 15 in shipping. I don't know if I can do without my Iphone 4 lol. I have an upgrade available starting Sept 24th so I might buy another junk android phone :D and try this scenario again. I read an article somewhere where you would want to sell your iphone 4 2-3 weeks before the release date of the 5th one.

NickB2005

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
yeah I agree I would sell it before the iphone 5 gets announced because as soon as it does officially the market price is going to drop like crazy

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR