Hey all,

I just purchased a Thunderbolt for 180 to use as my backup phone and I use my iphone 4 as my primary phone. I was planning on selling the thunderbolt online for near 250 or so and make some $$ but I started thinking. What if I sold my iphone 4 when the iphone 5 was announced and use my tbolt until I use my upgrade to get the iphone 5? I purchased the Iphone 4 out of contract for 400 about 4-5 months ago and I think I can sell it online for about that same amount right now. Obviously, the sooner I sell it the more I will get back relative to iphone 5's release. What would you guys do? Thanks.
    08-03-2011 08:54 PM
    I just bought mine off contract for 350 USD (16GB). I used a local classified site to buy it, but anything at or above 400 didn't go extremely fast. Then again its only a local site.

I would sell the android as it doesn't keep its resell value as much as the iPhone does, but thats just my opinion.
    08-03-2011 09:00 PM
    My hubby desperately needed a new phone and wanted an ip4 (and I was lusting after a white one) so I put my one year old ip4 on eBay last Tuesday (warranty ran out Friday) and it sold for $453. All of the ones I watched were going for at least that. Two "water damaged does not work" phones went for $390 & 398! People are crazy!

I know you all probably think I'm crazy for picking up 2 ip4's so close to the new ones release, but I'm just not as hard core as some of you! (well that, and I have the in-laws line available for upgrade in another month!)
    08-03-2011 09:30 PM
    Holy crap that is insane (price for the iphone 4 especially the water damaged ones)!

I have an upgrade eligibility on Sept. 24th (the last yearly upgrade available from Verizon). So, I hope we will hear something concrete about the new Iphone 5 (4S?).

I don't know which route to take. I could sell the Thunderbolt now and make a little chump change or I can sell the Iphone 4 and make back what I paid, and still keep my backup when I get the Iphone 5.

Cell phones eat up too much of my time!
    08-03-2011 09:46 PM
    If you really want the ip5, and you sell your ip4 BEFORE 5's release, you can upgrade and still have $200+ in your wallet at the end of the day.

You are correct...once the new one hits the market, there will be a flood of ip4's being sold and the prices WILL go down.
    08-03-2011 09:54 PM
    If you really want the ip5, and you sell your ip4 BEFORE 5's release, you can upgrade and still have $200+ in your wallet at the end of the day.

You are correct...once the new one hits the market, there will be a flood of ip4's being sold and the prices WILL go down.
    Yea, thats what is what I would do if I sold my iphone 4. That's why I would use the Tbolt as a piggy back ride until iPhone 5 came out. Then it is another 2 years with Verizon when I upgrade. Hmmm. Any other scenarios you can think of? I appreciate all the help so far.
    08-03-2011 10:08 PM
    Unfortunately I can't be of much help where vzw is concerned. I'm on at&t and we have a 5 line family plan, 2 lines with data and unlimited family text so the main line (mine) gets a 1 year upgrade* versus 2 because of the price we pay each month. That's why I was willing to sell my old ip4. Of course my husband thinks I'm a genius! LOL!

*for now anyway...
    08-03-2011 10:35 PM
    Geez, i thought the price i paid was just about right. The local site i use is usually overpriced. We had some water damaged ones too. 32 was going for 400. a couple 16gbs at 250ish.
    Glad to have got it for 350

I didn't really think about the rush of iPhone 4s in the market. I would probably sell it as soon as you feel confident enough that the 5/4g/4s comes out this fall. As soon as an announcement comes you'll probably see a lot of people doing the same thing you are thinking of doing.
    08-03-2011 11:22 PM
    Geez, i thought the price i paid was just about right. The local site i use is usually overpriced. We had some water damaged ones too. 32 was going for 400. a couple 16gbs at 250ish.
    Glad to have got it for 350
    Yep! It's probably a break even between selling it local or on eBay, considering their fees. I made enough to get the 2 new phones without going out of pocket, so I'm happy.

I totally didn't get the water damaged phones selling for so much unless people are going to try for a warranty exchange?!
    Last edited by BrindawithanI; 08-03-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    08-03-2011 11:42 PM
    I can't believe how much these phones still bring for being a year old!
    08-14-2011 09:12 PM
    This is what i did 1 month ago,
    Backed up my Iphone 4 on iTunes, reset to factory setting and sold on craigslist for $425. ( bought with upgrade for $199 at ATT )
    Bought rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150, using it till new Iphone 5 comes out in fall.
    Will buy new Iphone 5 with upgrade for $199.
    Sell Rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150.
    The End
    T.
    Last edited by E350; 08-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    08-18-2011 10:11 AM
    This is what i did 1 month ago,
    Backed up my Iphone 4 on iTunes, reset to factory setting and sold on craigslist for $425. ( bought with upgrade for $199 at ATT )
    Bought rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150, using it till new Iphone 5 comes out in fall.
    Will buy new Iphone 5 with upgrade for $199.
    Sell Rooted htc Inspire 4G on craigslist for $150.
    The End
    T.
    Well, I sold that Thunderbolt that I bought for 180 and sold it for about 275 plus 15 in shipping. I don't know if I can do without my Iphone 4 lol. I have an upgrade available starting Sept 24th so I might buy another junk android phone and try this scenario again. I read an article somewhere where you would want to sell your iphone 4 2-3 weeks before the release date of the 5th one.
    08-18-2011 02:00 PM
    yeah I agree I would sell it before the iphone 5 gets announced because as soon as it does officially the market price is going to drop like crazy
    08-19-2011 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD