My sleep/wake button has stopped working on my iphone 4. I haven't even dropped it, or gotten it wet, or anything like that - it just stopped working. I got my phone right when it came out, so the one year warranty has expired. Has this happened to anyone with an expired warranty? Seems like this has happened to other people, but they were able to get their phone replaced while still under the warranty.

Anybody know what my options are for getting it fixed without a warranty?

thanks!
    08-02-2011 05:51 PM
    Make an appointment and talk to the genius bar...they are very commonly known for fixing/replacing iPhones with defects like this even out of warranty.
    08-02-2011 05:57 PM
    This happens with anything. Things break. Yes go to Apple and try. It doesnt hurt. Maybe next time purchase Apple care to be 100% sure your covered.
    08-02-2011 06:24 PM
    I agree. Take it to an Apple store. I wouldn't be surprised, if they don't offer a free replacement, if they at least fix it for free. Just be nice.

P.S. Please keep us posted, ok?
    08-02-2011 07:26 PM
    I agree. Take it to an Apple store. I wouldn't be surprised, if they don't offer a free replacement, if they at least fix it for free. Just be nice.

P.S. Please keep us posted, ok?
    I took my 3GS for the same issue no water damage out of warranty by 60 days I was nice and honest and they looked at it unplug cables and plug them in ( didn't fix ) they told me I'm sol and would have to pay 199 for another 3GS hmm so I guess it depends who you talk too but in my case wasn't impressed I was willing to pay some money to fix but def not that lol who needs a power button anyways lol
    08-02-2011 09:20 PM
    I would still try apple, I agree with the above, it can't hurt and worse case they will attempt to charge you $199.
    08-03-2011 10:04 AM
    Here's an update for those that want to know...

I just got back from the Apple store. Because I'm 42 days over the warranty expiration date, the guy said it would cost $200 to replace my phone but he went in the back to talk to his manager and came back and said they'd take $50 off and replace it for $150. If I got it replaced, it would be with a refurbished phone, right? I'm assuming they wouldn't give me a brand new one. I told him I'd have to think about it.

I'm wondering if I ever had to do restart it, I could just unscrew the bottom screws, take the back cover off and see if that would give me access to the sleep button. Any idea if that would work?
    08-03-2011 12:47 PM
    Yeah, the replacement is probably going to be a refurb... but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It will be tested, poured over and will come with some sort of warranty.

If you're just 42 days out of warranty, I don't think you'd be eligible for an upgrade through your carrier for almost another 10-12 months... so a replacement out of pocket would cost you ~$600-700.

And do you really want to have to take your phone apart every time you want/need to restart it? That's assuming that you can take it apart enough to get to the internal switch without dismantling the whole thing.
    08-03-2011 01:09 PM

I just got back from the Apple store. Because I'm 42 days over the warranty expiration date, the guy said it would cost $200 to replace my phone but he went in the back to talk to his manager and came back and said they'd take $50 off and replace it for $150. If I got it replaced, it would be with a refurbished phone, right? I'm assuming they wouldn't give me a brand new one. I told him I'd have to think about it.

I'm wondering if I ever had to do restart it, I could just unscrew the bottom screws, take the back cover off and see if that would give me access to the sleep button. Any idea if that would work?
    I think there's a Cydia app that is a sleep button
    08-03-2011 01:38 PM

That stinks...i wouldn't pay $150 for a replacement with a new model just around the corner, i'd simply take the $150, and deal with the dead sleep button, then put it towards an iPhone 5.

Just a little FYI too...there are ways to restart the phone if it is jailbroken using apps.
    08-03-2011 01:38 PM
    That stinks...i wouldn't pay $150 for a replacement with a new model just around the corner, i'd simply take the $150, and deal with the dead sleep button, then put it towards an iPhone 5.

Just a little FYI too...there are ways to restart the phone if it is jailbroken using apps.
    I would pay the $150. Resale of a iphone with dead sleep button will not be good. I can still sell used i4's for $400-475 on CL depending on the size. He/she will get more than their money back. Trust me I know. I have sold 3 or 4 used i4's recently
    08-03-2011 01:43 PM
    Sorry to hear that, redsox82.
    Last edited by Ham Solo; 08-03-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    08-03-2011 01:45 PM
    I would pay the $150. Resale of a iphone with dead sleep button will not be good. I can still sell used i4's for $400-475 on CL depending on the size. He/she will get more than their money back. Trust me I know. I have sold 3 or 4 used i4's recently
    If he can get the lower price without a change in his carrier contract then yes, that would be obvious, i was going about my comment thinking that the lower cost of the replacement iPhone would also, in turn, renew his contract (since that would be the contract price he was getting).

All the better though if it has no contract effect, make more than enough money to buy a new iPhone 5 when it is released.
    08-03-2011 01:57 PM
    If he can get the lower price without a change in his carrier contract then yes, that would be obvious, i was going about my comment thinking that the lower cost of the replacement iPhone would also, in turn, renew his contract (since that would be the contract price he was getting).

All the better though if it has no contract effect, make more than enough money to buy a new iPhone 5 when it is released.
    Its a no contract effect. Thats a out of warranty charge by Apple and thats why its a replacement/warranty iPhone and not one out of a retail box
    08-03-2011 01:59 PM
    Its a no contract effect. Thats a out of warranty charge by Apple and thats why its a replacement/warranty iPhone and not one out of a retail box
    Gotcha!
    08-03-2011 02:32 PM
    And do you really want to have to take your phone apart every time you want/need to restart it?
    No, but the thought of handing over $150 to a company that has more money than our country does is even less appealing. If I had dropped my phone and it broke, then I'd probably get it replaced. But because I've always been so careful and the freaking thing broke anyway, I kind of don't want to pay the $150 out of principle.
    08-03-2011 02:45 PM
    No, but the thought of handing over $150 to a company that has more money than our country does is even less appealing. If I had dropped my phone and it broke, then I'd probably get it replaced. But because I've always been so careful and the freaking thing broke anyway, I kind of don't want to pay the $150 out of principle.
    Would it be fair for them to give you one when other people pay $69 for Apple Care to extend their warranty? No other phones even give a option to extend it. Apple does.
    08-03-2011 03:22 PM
    Pay the $150 and take this lesson with you for next time you get a new iPhone. When it gets close to the warranty expiring just go in and complain about anything and they will replace it. No more broken stuff a month after your warranty is over.
    08-03-2011 03:43 PM
    How much money Apple has is completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that Apple has what you want, and they have an established price for it. Either pay or don't, but blaming Apple for having "more money than our country does" is unfair, and frankly, it's a rather ignorant statement. Besides, Apple does a better job of handling their money than our country does.

No one has said that you have to make the purchase. But to paraphrase Yoda, do or do not - there is no whine.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-03-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    08-03-2011 05:54 PM
    How much money Apple has is completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that Apple has what you want, and they have an established price for it. Either pay or don't, but blaming Apple for having "more money than our country does" is unfair, and frankly, it's a rather ignorant statement. Besides, Apple does a better job of handling their money than our country does.

No one has said that you have to make the purchase. But to paraphrase Yoda, do or do not - there is no whine.
    I'm all for capitalism and I know that I can take my business elsewhere but that's neither here nor there. All I'm trying to say is that I'm annoyed that my phone broke through no fault of my own after barely a year. I understand that I had the option of purchasing the extended warranty but I figured I wouldn't need it since I'm extremely careful with my electronics and my original iPhone that I got 4 years ago and my iPod that I got 7 years ago both still work just fine. I know a lot of people like to sing Apple's praises (I do too...sometimes), but I think my complaint is legit.
    08-03-2011 07:17 PM
    I'm all for capitalism and I know that I can take my business elsewhere but that's neither here nor there. All I'm trying to say is that I'm annoyed that my phone broke through no fault of my own after barely a year. I understand that I had the option of purchasing the extended warranty but I figured I wouldn't need it since I'm extremely careful with my electronics and my original iPhone that I got 4 years ago and my iPod that I got 7 years ago both still work just fine. I know a lot of people like to sing Apple's praises (I do too...sometimes), but I think my complaint is legit.
    It's a tech toy...you're foolish and naive if you assume just because Apple made it that you're safe from the possibility of problems in the future. I, for one, think Apple is a company that makes quality products, and i trust in their reliability...but when i bought my Macbook Pro, i made sure i got an extra 2 years worth of warranty on it, just because i felt that i'll be keeping it past its standard one year warranty, and i'd want the extra security blanket.

The fact that you're careful with your stuff is a moot point...and it sucks that your iPhone had an issue out of warranty, but your complaint is only as legit as your common sense level going into it...Apple offers a cheap extended warranty for their products across the spectrum, so do i blame you for being mad that your phone screwed up? Not at all...but you had an option and took a risk by not taking it, live and learn as they say.
    08-04-2011 06:54 AM
    Unfortunately it's not a valid complaint. Stuff breaks, that's life. You were the victim of bad luck and nothing more.

You should be happy they offered you one for only $150. I forget when they changed officially but in the past in this situation you would have been paying the full retail price or slightly discounted off retail. But it was far higher than the subsidized price.

Take the offer.
    08-04-2011 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD