Okay so posting this makes me feel like a jerk but...

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Some of my friends got a brand new iPhone with water damage by just telling the truth to the Genius Bar rep . Btw, the iPhone replacement was free for them. When I brought my iPod touch 2nd Gen for water damage problems to the Genius Bar and told the truth, they say "Well, all I can do is either replace your iPod touch for a 10% discount or you can just keep. I can replace it for a 10% discount only if you let us recycle the iPod touch." This is exactly what the rep told me. I remember. LOL. They also said the same thing when I dropped my first iPod touch 2nd gen. They could only offer me a brand new iPod touch 3rd gen probably because Apple stopped making the iPod touch 2nd Gen in 2009. I didn't take it because I knew I was going to get an iPad soon. I looked all over the web and I brought it to this place at my local mall that fixes iPhone water damage and glass damage. But basically what I am trying to say is just try. You have no idea what the Apple rep will say to you.

SteezyAR

Aug 2, 2011
www.SteezyAR.com
Honesty or deviance aside, nearly every cell phone in the last 8 years (this includes the iPhone) have moister triggers that go off when exposed to water.

The second they pop the back off your phone, they'll know.

So lying will only make you look stupid, on top of being a jerk.

Yup this is true. I have a friend who tried to do the same and they said it was OBVIOUSLY submerged. :(

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well it was just a question everyone, didnt mean to come off as some arrogant guy trying to scam a company.

Regardless, tomorrow I am making the voyage to my "local" Apple store to talk to the reps there and see what they can do for me.

And yes, I will be telling them the truth :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well it was just a question everyone, didnt mean to come off as some arrogant guy trying to scam a company.

Regardless, tomorrow I am making the voyage to my "local" Apple store to talk to the reps there and see what they can do for me.

And yes, I will be telling them the truth :)

Good for you... but not sure how you can make the claim that you weren't trying to figure out a scam with statements like this:

Does anyone know of any way that I could possibly trick (for lack of a better term) the Verizon or Apple reps to give me a new phone? Any way to make it look as though this is a manufacturers defect and has nothing to do with the water damage?

Sounds rather "scam-ish" to me... but I'm not judging you.

iMalum

Jul 21, 2011
iphonechroniclr.wordpress.com
I agree with @BizFox. Honestly is the best policy at the Genius Bar (for the most part). Once the water strip comes in contact with water, it changes color. It's pretty definitive. There's really no way to get around it.

You should just tell the Genius that you accidentally got the phone wet. Ask if there's anything they can do. It really all depends on the Genius you get and their mood. I know people who have gone to the same Apple Store with the same problem, but had different outcomes (e.g. one of my coworkers dropped his iPhone --cracked screen-- and the Genius gave him a new iPhone on the spot because it was "the first time.").

Just be honest, keep your fingers crossed, and just see what they say. Whatever will be, will be.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Does this site actually allow discussion on how to engage in warranty/insurance fraud? Most that I frequent do not.

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I. Went there to with. Friend who iphone was over heating we had 2 guys try somthing that did not fix the phone so we had another guy who did not fix the proply and 4 guy looked at it and gave her new phone and did not even charge. Tip stay at the store and don't leave

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I. Went there to with. Friend who iphone was over heating we had 2 guys try somthing that did not fix the phone so we had another guy who did not fix the proply and 4 guy looked at it and gave her new phone and did not even charge. Tip stay at the store and don't leave

Thank you for your reply, but please be aware that the last post in this thread, prior to yours, is dated August 5, 2011.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73