iPad and iPhone?

paul100

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I already have an iPhone 4, but I am thinking about buying an iPad. Would it make sense to buy both devices, or just stick with my phone? And if having both makes sense, which iPad should I buy?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Of course it depends on your needs and "disposable" income I guess, but short answer is Yes it makes sense to have both. My Wife had one long before I did. I was perfect;y happy with my iP4 for everything. Then my Company offered to buy me a new Laptop. I said I don't want a laptop, but i'll take an iPad!:) Boy am I glad they got me one!! I use it for work as well as personal stuff all day.

You may not "need" one, but you will be glad you got one!:cool: I say get the iPad2 or be patient and get the iPad3 later this year.

Reactions: mikesa_tx

jumpman2033

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have both. I use my iPad 2 extensively at home to check email, browse the internet, play games etc. It allows me the freedom to move around my house anywhere and have a nice big screen to look at. When i leave home i switch over to the iPhone. I didn't want to carry around anything big so i rely completely on my iphone outside of the house.

My computing combo and usage:
Desktop - download, print, sync
iPad - Internet, email, games
iPhone - Everything outside of house

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What do you need the iPad to do?

My wife and I bought an iPad 2 because she needed something small to carry around on sets and stuff when she is working, that also provided easy and quick access to pictures, emails, videos and stuff that she has saved on the thing...it also came in handy for her as a google source so she could search out information if it was needed on the fly.

At home, the iPad plays a much more subtle and less legitimate role...i use it a lot for internet browsing, and maybe the occasional game or FaceTime session, but other than that, it has no real "purpose", just kind of a convenient way to use the internet primarily.

The iPhone's we have are much more utilitarian...my wife's is her lifeline, and without it, she is very crippled when it comes to communication in all ways. Mine is to a point, but not like with hers...i deff find the iPhone to be a more useful tool, at home and especially away.

I would not be effected really without an iPad, though my wife would certainly be...i guess it boils down to whether you can afford to have both like Brickman said above...its definitely a cool gadget to have around.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you need other people to justify your purchase, you don't need it.

Sit down and make a list of what you would use it for.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have both, I carry my Macbook Pro and iPad 2 in my work bag as well as always have my iPhone 4 on my belt clip. iPad is great for surfing the web and and showing off pictures to my team, actually I think the only reason I carry the macbook pro is to be able to edit Microsoft Office files, none of the office compatible apps offer 100% compatibility, nothing is better than having the real thing IMO. At home the iPad is great to have on the coffee table to quickly browse the net and have a chat with Facebook friends.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both. I mostly bring just my iPhone to work. At home, I use both at the same time. iPhone for texting, the rare phone call, the Visual Timer app for grilling, reading e-mail, taking photos of what my dog/fish/tortoises/garden are doing right now, and then at the same time iPad for Words With Friends, reading forums, reading Zinio magazines, Flipbook, cooking from recipes on Evernote. I just read an article that, to paraphrase, was about "Do I need a computer _and_ an iPad?" and the answer was, think of the iPad as a second screen- you're doing computer "stuff," but multi-tasking. I realize that most of my iPhone/iPad use sounds frivolous. I admit it.

Now I'm about to travel with the iPad for the first time and I have been so satisfied with what I can do with it, as opposed to what I have to have a laptop for, I am considering not even taking the laptop with me.

avwh

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You probably only "need" an iPad if there are things you do on the iPhone that would be much easier on a bigger screen, or if an iPad can eliminate the need for something else (DVD player, laptop, etc.) when you travel.

Some laptop users can't replace that "horsepower'" with an iPad; lots of users without a need for a high-powered computer can do their daily tasks on an iPad instead.

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently asked this same question as I have a MacBook Pro iPhone and now an iPad 2 I love having the iPad 2 it is so portable and I enjoy using it around the house or when I am just laying on the couch.

Iammedina

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of switching to everything Apple and I first wanted a Mac. So I was thinking what I would use it for and I ended up getting an iPad 2. Now I'm going back and forth about just getting the iPhone 4 or waiting to see what happens in Sept, if (most likely) the iPhone 5/s is released.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had an i4 since it came out last year, and picked up an iPad 1 yesterday. I love this thing. Kind of makind my Dell Studio laptop obsolete.

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone and an iPad. I love them both and use each one differently. However, I don't think my iPad could ever replace my MacBook Pro.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have both as well I use phone for mostly everything but love iPad is great for email printing on the fly web browsing and traveling with movies etc .. The wife loves her phone but prefers the laptop vs iPad for web browsing but iPad is great for family games and fun too
I would take a iPad over a new comp any day I would say my laptop gets maybe using 10 perent of the time except when JBing unlocking or building my iTunes that is :p

All in all do you need a iPad .. No
Is it worth getting one ... Yes

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods