3G and Data Issues

shawnluke05

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

About a month ago, I returned to Verizon to get the white iPhone 4.

I had Verizon previously for about 7 years.

Anyway, since having my Verizon iPhone, I have noticed that my data on 3G is extremely slow in a lot of places.

I live in Ohio and I am mainly in Columbus and surrounding areas but also go to Cleveland about 3 times a month.

I have noticed that I have a "o" icon where the 3G icon should be and that I literally can't connect to the internet. This is happening more and more everyday. I know that a carrier can't have service in every area, but at&t in my opinion had better 3G service in these areas than I am getting with Verizon.

I have tried resetting the network settings but that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

Could this be a problem with the phone itself, or is it Verizon's network?

I didn't know if I restored the phone if this would help the issue.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

I hate to have it exchanged for a refurb since I have only had it about a month, but it's becoming a real problem using the phone when the data connection shows a "o"

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

About a month ago, I returned to Verizon to get the white iPhone 4.

I had Verizon previously for about 7 years.

Anyway, since having my Verizon iPhone, I have noticed that my data on 3G is extremely slow in a lot of places.

I live in Ohio and I am mainly in Columbus and surrounding areas but also go to Cleveland about 3 times a month.

I have noticed that I have a "o" icon where the 3G icon should be and that I literally can't connect to the internet. This is happening more and more everyday. I know that a carrier can't have service in every area, but at&t in my opinion had better 3G service in these areas than I am getting with Verizon.

I have tried resetting the network settings but that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

I didn't know if I restored the phone if this would help the issue.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

I hate to have it exchanged for a refurb since I have only had it about a month, but it's becoming a real problem using the phone when the data connection shows a "o"

I do not think that it is a network or a phone problem. That symbol represents no 3g service or very little at best. It is very well possible that ATT has a setup in the region you mention. Best thing to do is discuss with VZW personell.

shawnluke05

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have done the *228 option.

I have talked to a few people from tech support and it looks like I'm going to have to make the decision to leave Verizon:(

They are claiming that it could be a spotty 3G area, but it happens almost everywhere I go anymore so unless they just don't have 3G coverage anywhere in Ohio, which I don't believe, they are at a loss and so am I.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Have they tried to give you a different phone? Have you been to a store and compare it to another phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawnluke05

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to a store this morning and the rep checked it out and said that it was probably just network issues and congestion and that they can't exchange the phone for that reason.

I explained how it happens almost everywhere I go and the rep got the store manager who explained to me that during "summer months" people use more data and that happens to any network.

I'm a little disappointed in the customer service, when I had Verizon previously, I thought their customer service rocked.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have that issue a lot also. I went through this right after I got my iphone. I have tried a couple different Iphones and all do the same thing. My friends that live in the same area also have this happen from time to time. (we live in north Ohio) If you go under settings then general and network and see if you have data roaming turned on or off. I was told by a Verizon tech that it needed to be on for the phone to work well. The roaming part will not affect you in the US. I still have this issue from time to time but only when I get in slow data area's. I would have to say there is nothing wrong with the phone. It's a network issue and is always been that way it's just now with the iphone you can see it when it happens.

shawnluke05

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have that issue a lot also. I went through this right after I got my iphone. I have tried a couple different Iphones and all do the same thing. My friends that live in the same area also have this happen from time to time. (we live in north Ohio) If you go under settings then general and network and see if you have data roaming turned on or off. I was told by a Verizon tech that it needed to be on for the phone to work well. The roaming part will not affect you in the US. I still have this issue from time to time but only when I get in slow data area's. I would have to say there is nothing wrong with the phone. It's a network issue and is always been that way it's just now with the iphone you can see it when it happens.

Thank you for the feedback. I will have to do this, I just had a fellow co-worker get the iPhone from Verizon and over heard them complaining about service as well. They had the original droid and said they never noticed this before until they got an iPhone.

I love my iPhone too much to go to anything else :)

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the most often heard complains about the iphone on VZ, it is constanly droping to 1x or the little circle. It happens to me all the time but in my office where i spend 12 hours a day. Thinking of going back to the att phone.

Reactions: shawnluke05

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It certainly could be either. Does no one else you know in your area have a Verizon IP4 to compare? Standard troubleshooting would be to replace the device. If the replacement is known to be good and exhibits the same issue you know that the problem is the carrier.

The post above form another OH user makes it sound like a carrier issue.

That's why you always select your carrier first based on coverage where you need it. Every carrier gives you a window to return and cancel without ETF when you sign up. It's your duty to check out real world coverage in the places that you need it most. Don't rely on coverage maps. They cannot account for real world issues that can impact coverage.

Last edited:

shawnluke05

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
It certainly could be either. Does no one else you know in your area have a Verizon IP4 to compare? Standard troubleshooting would be to replace the device. If the replacement is known to be good and exhibits the same issue you know that the problem is the carrier.

The post above form another OH user makes it sound like a carrier issue.

That's why you always select your carrier first based on coverage where you need it. Every carrier gives you a window to return and cancel without ETF when you sign up. It's your duty to check out real world coverage in the places that you need it most. Don't rely on coverage maps. They cannot account for real world issues that can impact coverage.

I don't rely on coverage maps and I don't think the carrier should either.

I have been to different Verizon stores and keep being told data issues are not a reason to warrant an exchange.

I was told when I purchased the phone that I had 30 days and the rep even gave me the literature that stated that but when I went to return the phone I was told I only had 14 days and that I was given the wrong information but that was my fault not Verizon.

I have found a couple of people around me who have all said the same thing, calling on the iPhone is tops but data not so much! They all have had different phones too on Verizon and have said that 3G is much, much better on those phones than the iPhone.

I was simply asking if anyone else was experiencing the issues as I am, I don't appreciate being told it's my duty to do this or that. This isn't my first cell phone and it won't be my last. I know what to look for and how the return policy works. I worked for T-Mobile for several years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73