I'm really considering buying the next gen iPhone from Verizon. To do so, I would have to sell my iPhone 4 32gig. What would be a reasonable price to sell it for on eBay? Would I get enough to buy the 16 gig new version without a contract?
    07-19-2011 10:19 AM
    I doubt you will get enough to buy the next iPhone at the full retail price. Best thing to do, is check what the iPhone 4's are going for now on eBay. This will give you an idea of what you can expect to get for yours.
    07-19-2011 10:44 AM
    It really does range on eBay. I have a iPhone 3GS 16GB black Jailbroken on 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze with 6.15.00 baseband (so it's unlockable with ultrasn0w). That I just sold on ebay for $295 yesterday. That was after trying to sell it twice previously, but the highest bids were $212 and $224. My reserve was $250.

Typically if it's jailbroken you can get more for them on eBay.
    07-19-2011 11:45 AM
    Seems like times are changing, you used to be able to sale these Iphones for just about whatever you wanted on Ebay and Craigslist. Now most go for average prices, I would think you could get at least $450out of it depending on condition. I recently sold my ATT 16gb Iphones for $400 a piece.
    07-19-2011 12:05 PM
    Best thing to do, is check what the iPhone 4's are going for now on eBay. This will give you an idea of what you can expect to get for yours.
    I'd think that the demand for iphone 4's will drop once the 5 comes out, so today's prices will likely be above their value come fall. So I agree that you won't get enough to cover the unsubsidized price from ebay. But you should get enough to get your out of pocket cost for a 5 to be close to the subsidized cost. I think that's the way the upgrade every year game works.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    07-20-2011 02:14 AM
    I'd think that the demand for iphone 4's will drop once the 5 comes out, so today's prices will likely be above their value come fall. So I agree that you won't get enough to cover the unsubsidized price from ebay. But you should get enough to get your out of pocket cost for a 5 to be close to the subsidized cost. I think that's the way the upgrade every year game works.
    This is pretty much right on the money. And OP, the fact that you have a
    32gigger helps your cause even more.
    07-20-2011 12:46 PM
    If I were to sell it now what would be an appropriate price considering it is 32 gigs?
    07-20-2011 02:05 PM
    If I were to sell it now what would be an appropriate price considering it is 32 gigs?
    Go by comparisons of what it's selling for on places like eBay and Craig's list.
    Comparisons by conditions of course.
    07-20-2011 02:28 PM
    I'm really considering buying the next gen iPhone from Verizon. To do so, I would have to sell my iPhone 4 32gig. What would be a reasonable price to sell it for on eBay? Would I get enough to buy the 16 gig new version without a contract?
    It will be close because you will not have an upgrade to use on the new iPhone.

If you want to know the prices right now go on ebay and look. Also remember the price can change depending on if it's locked/unlocked and it's jailbreak status.
    07-20-2011 03:43 PM
    Read posts 2 & 8. The selling price you'll end up with isn't guaranteed. Look at comparable recent sales to get an idea. That's is what you'd do for anything -- not just iPhones -- that you're trying to sell.

Would I get enough to buy the 16 gig new version without a contract?
    The answer is easily no. Look at full retail for the current models ($649 16GB, $749 32GB). Why would someone pay that much for a used device when they can get a new one for the same price?
    Last edited by briareus; 07-24-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    07-24-2011 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD