I'm looking to make the switch fairly soon but managing my email accounts is very important to me...

Sometimes I like to just delete the email off the phone to manage space on the phone and to leave important emails with attachments for example only on the server... is there a work-around for this?

I've noticed this as a potential hang-up...
    07-16-2011 10:56 PM
    You can do that if you have it set up as a POP email. I'm pretty sure you can't do it if you have it set up any other way, regardless of what phone you use. Set it up as a POP tho and you'll be fine You just won't be able to read something on your phone and have it marked as read in your inbox, or push.
    07-16-2011 11:35 PM
    I have my personal email being picked up by my gmail email account and have the gmail set up as a exchange account on the iphone. Within the gmail account setting you can leave the personal email on the server.
    07-16-2011 11:47 PM
    So far, there is no way to do it like it can be done in a BB. I ended up creating an additional folder in my e-mail clients so I can move there the messages I want to keep in the server but not in the phone. It's one step too many but I haven't found a better way to do it.
    07-17-2011 12:04 AM
    I'm looking to make the switch fairly soon but managing my email accounts is very important to me...

Sometimes I like to just delete the email off the phone to manage space on the phone and to leave important emails with attachments for example only on the server... is there a work-around for this?

I've noticed this as a potential hang-up...
    don't know whwt the hang up is exactly? Perhaps i don't understand.

I have my email setup as IMAP and i set deleted emails to deleted items but not the servers trash and whether i delete all emails on my ip4... i still get all emails on my workstation.

Not 100% how this can be worked with Exchange.
    07-17-2011 12:54 AM
    It's an option in email account settings. It's called, "delete from server", just choose "never". You can delete from your phone and it will remain on your server. There are other options too, like deleting weekly etc.

Make the switch, BB is dead ........ :-)
    07-17-2011 01:12 AM
    Make the switch you won't regret it. I used a BB after owning a iPhone for about 6 months and it's just incomparable. Word of warning though the keyboard takes months to get use to.
    07-17-2011 05:06 AM
    The question i'm asking is that sometimes I want to delete from the server and sometimes I don't... I'd like to have that option JUST from the delete menu...not just a defacto single ALWAYS delete from server or ALWAYS delete from handheld. Sometimes its one or the other.
    07-17-2011 12:00 PM
    The question i'm asking is that sometimes I want to delete from the server and sometimes I don't... I'd like to have that option JUST from the delete menu...not just a defacto single ALWAYS delete from server or ALWAYS delete from handheld. Sometimes its one or the other.
    Ah. With the builtin mail app i don't think it is possible its either you keep for one day, week, month or never. There maybe a jb solution but im not 100% i prefer using imap as it would mark all my emails read or not read and to be deleted on the server and on my workstation so i don't have to go through email.

MUCH MUCH better than how bb handled this.
    07-17-2011 02:02 PM
    Ah. With the builtin mail app i don't think it is possible its either you keep for one day, week, month or never. There maybe a jb solution but im not 100% i prefer using imap as it would mark all my emails read or not read and to be deleted on the server and on my workstation so i don't have to go through email.

MUCH MUCH better than how bb handled this.
    This is my point thought... sometimes I want to delete it from the handheld and sometimes I want to delete from both the phone AND server.
    07-17-2011 09:01 PM
    any one else having this problem?
    09-09-2011 03:43 PM
    With the iPhone using gmail the emails really don't reside on the iPhone, so you can just create folders to place your emails in, your really not using phone space. I do understand what you are saying because I had bb's for years. I have gmail and my work exchange on my iPhone, they are both set up with folders so I just move the email to where they need to go. Then latter down the line if I need an Email from my phone bingo, I just look in the proper folder.
    09-13-2011 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD