is there really any other differences other then the network, the ability to make calls and be online, and the ability to transmit wifi over the iphone between the verizon and att iphones? Or is that really it?

How fast is the internet on the verizon network? They have fios so i'm pretty sure its fast I just don't have any idea, can you guys run a speed test or give me an example if possible?
    07-08-2011 05:51 PM
    Both use different technology to make/receive calls. Verizon used CDMA which is rarely used elsewhere in the world (Sprint also uses CDMA in the US). AT&T uses GSM which requires a SIM card (micros SIM in the iPhone 4 and iPad) and is used practically everywhere in the world so it's great for world travelers. GSM allows you to use simultaneous voice and data plus you can easily swap out SIM cards between phone to make different phones (assuming that are not locked to a different network) have your phone number.

Typically Verizon has better coverage and has an absolutely larger 3G footprint. AT&T has a typically faster 3G network where you can get it. With Verizon you are less likely to drop calls. AT&T allows you to have conference calls.

Until July 7th Verizon had unlimited data but that is no longer true so if your looking for a cheaper data plan AT&T has lower data prices.

All in all it really comes down to which network has better coverage where you work/live/go. I've had both in the Boston area AT&T is much faster but Verizon has better reception and I never drop calls.

Gook luck and choose wisely!
    07-08-2011 06:00 PM
    is there really any other differences other then the network, the ability to make calls and be online, and the ability to transmit wifi over the iphone between the verizon and att iphones? Or is that really it?

How fast is the internet on the verizon network? They have fios so i'm pretty sure its fast I just don't have any idea, can you guys run a speed test or give me an example if possible?
    FIOS has nothing to do with Verizon Wireless. Speeds vary depending on region.

AT&T is faster if you can get 3G but for me I'd rather have more stable coverage than fast but spotty coverage. AT&T in my area isn't great so it was a no-brainer.

Compare their 3G coverage maps, both companies should have them on their sites.
    07-08-2011 06:48 PM
    Verizon used CDMA which is rarely used elsewhere in the world (Sprint also uses CDMA in the US).
    CDMA is used globally - not just here in the US - yes, it's not as widely used as GSM outside of the US - to say "rarely" is not exactly truthful.
    07-08-2011 07:00 PM
    Compare their 3G coverage maps, both companies should have them on their sites.
    Maps on web sits are done by the marketing teams and may not reflect reality as much as they'd like people to think. Take them with a grain, if not a few tablespoons of salt.
    07-08-2011 07:02 PM
    Maps on web sits are done by the marketing teams and may not reflect reality as much as they'd like people to think. Take them with a grain, if not a few tablespoons of salt.
    Not in the case of VZ 3g versus ATT 3g. You can grab the map coverage on-line or even inside the store. There is a clear difference between the two networks coverage areas and those difference's are not a marketing ploy.
    07-08-2011 08:12 PM
    CDMA is used globally - not just here in the US - yes, it's not as widely used as GSM outside of the US - to say "rarely" is not exactly truthful.
    First I didn't say that is was only used in the US, you even mention me saying it begin used elsewhere in the world. Second, here is a qutoe from wiki about GSM technology;

"The GSM Association estimates that technologies defined in the GSM standard serve 80% of the global mobile market, encompassing more than 1.5 billion people across more than 212 countries and territories, making GSM the most ubiquitous of the many standards for cellular networks."

So if 80% of the world uses GSM & 20% uses CDMA, that's rare in my book. The adjative I used that you choose to nitpick is semantics but I don't appreciate you calling me a liar by saying it is not truthful.

He asked for our opinion so I gave him mine. I don't remember me asking for yours especially if you were just going to attack me..
    07-09-2011 09:23 AM
    Speed does not matter. Voice + data does not matter. Even the price differences do not matter. First and foremost should be, which service is the most reliable in your area? Can you get a signal? Make a phone call? Forget data- if you can't make a phone call, don't even think about speed tests.

These are my observations and your milage may vary. I've had the iPhone on both AT&T and Verizon.

I hate AT&T- it makes the iPhone into a iPod touch with a monthly fee.
    Using Verizon's iPhone, I was blown away by it, like the first time I used my AT&T iPhone. I could make calls! Really. I floored that the call didn't drop. I could access the internet without having to go outside. It was amazing.

AT&T is faster but unreliable and their customer service is weird (when I switched area codes, they had to shutdown my old account and issue me an new account and it took a hell of a long time to do it and just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! I got a email regarding the old account saying my bill was ready and when i tried to access it on the internet, it said that the account was shut down. So to make sure I didn't get double billed or had some kind of outstanding balance, I had to call CS again and had to get every thing sorted out. Verizon is slower but reliable, never had an issue with customer service.
    AT&T is more world friendly.
    Voice+data is nice, but since switching to Verizon, haven't missed it. You can get voice+data on Verizon by cheating- if you turn on wi-fi you can do voice+data.

If AT&T is better, use them. If Verizon is better, use them.
    07-09-2011 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD