Switching from BB to iPhone, but first....

RhonnieNYC

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
a few questions: (1) I'm eligible now to switch over (Verizon) however I'm hearing that iPhone 5 will come out in the next few months, should I wait? Is this still just a rumor? (2) what the heck is Jailbreak? I've been reading a few threads in this forum and I don't have a clue what that term means, pls explain. Thanks in advance :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There's definitely a new iPhone in the works. Not sure when it will be released or what specs it will have... but it's coming - probably in the fall with the release of iOS5, the operating system from Apple for iPhones, iPads and iPods.

Jailbreak is the term for allowing software not from or authorized by Apple on your phone. You have to run a process which installs some code on your phone to allow you to install other apps, utilities etc. If you have any experience with the Android platform, it's analogous to "rooting".

Reactions: RhonnieNYC

RhonnieNYC

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
There's definitely a new iPhone in the works. Not sure when it will be released or what specs it will have... but it's coming - probably in the fall with the release of iOS5, the operating system from Apple for iPhones, iPads and iPods.

Jailbreak is the term for allowing software not from or authorized by Apple on your phone. You have to run a process which installs some code on your phone to allow you to install other apps, utilities etc. If you have any experience with the Android platform, it's analogous to "rooting".

Thanks so much. One more question, so if I get an iPhone 4 now, does that mean it won't have the new operating system? Does that work similar to BB's whereas when a new operating system is released, we can download it to the current device?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Today's iPhone 4 will not have the new iOS 5... but you are correct... when it is released, you will be able to download it and install it.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
a few questions: (1) I'm eligible now to switch over (Verizon) however I'm hearing that iPhone 5 will come out in the next few months, should I wait? Is this still just a rumor? (2) what the heck is Jailbreak? I've been reading a few threads in this forum and I don't have a clue what that term means, pls explain. Thanks in advance :)

Even if the iPhone 5 comes out, everything points to being just slightly different than the 4. Personally I would just switch because you are wasting precious time you could be using iOS and will never get that lost time back.

Jailbreak is basically to let you change things that Apple locked down. For instance putting a theme on or changing animations. Similar to being an administrator on a computer or network.

Johnny Alien

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
The only reason to make a quick switch to the iPhone 4 would have been to catch the last of the unlimited data contracts. Now that is gone it would be best to hold on for another month or two and get the updated phone. Verizon is now strict with the every two year upgrade especially with iPhones so get the newest possible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73