I cracked my back glass

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So it finally happened...

I used to use a case religiously. Lately I've bought into the "my slim iPhone is so cool" mentality. Last night my friends deck reminded me that **** happens.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
haha yeah, luckily for you it wasn't the front! At least it's still fully functional if you have to wait a bit to get it fixed.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you take it to apple they will either replace the back glass for $29, or free if this was the first time.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Truth is the nearest apple store is a pretty good drive. I have a case on now. It's a small crack near the bottom. I'm more aggravated that this case was on my nightstand instead of on my phone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Truth is the nearest apple store is a pretty good drive. I have a case on now. It's a small crack near the bottom. I'm more aggravated that this case was on my nightstand instead of on my phone.
The back glass is easy to replace and won't cost you much if you want to replace it yourself. I believe there are a few good videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to do this if you are interested.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A new back is $30 and I don't think you will need to watch any videos to figure out how to remove two screws. The back pops right off if you take out the screws on the bottom.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just curious.. does this void warranty by replacing the glass (front or back) yourself? assuming the device is still under warranty of course

or does it matter whether an individual or Apple does the repair..

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
just curious.. does this void warranty by replacing the glass (front or back) yourself? assuming the device is still under warranty of course

BLiNK, according to Apple, Yes, doing any kind of repair yourself will void the devices warranty.... Although, Apple may or may not check for it, though.

AppleCare terms of use section b.ii

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately it's an easy fix. I just hate that our devices are so fragile. I hope they make the next one a tad more durable :)

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I paid 7 bucks for a replacement backing on Amazon ... Identical to Apple's back, can't tell a difference, and my iPhone look mint again. I kept the old backing as a "just in case", it just had some scratches down it, nothing major but the new back looks so much better.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately it's an easy fix. I just hate that our devices are so fragile. I hope they make the next one a tad more durable :)

I agree. If they would have made the back and front out of gorilla glass it might have made a difference.

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree. If they would have made the back and front out of gorilla glass it might have made a difference.

gorilla glass isn't much better. i know quite a few people who have broken and or scratched their gorilla glass screen on their android phones. i also have an HTC droid ERIS with gorilla glass and i too have scratched it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Technically it does void the warranty but Apple has no way to know you got a new back as long as you replace it with an official one. They are all over the interwebz.

I had a metal back on mine for awhile but went back to the glass back with a faux leather sticker dealy on it. Got my iPhone 4 exchanged last week a day before my warranty was up and the rep never even looked at the screws on the bottom; they were stripped a little from when I first removed them.

I just remembered that Apple changed from phillips screws to a star pattern. My new iP4 has them, so you will also need a special screw driver if you have a newer one. Likely also all over the interwebz by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLiNK

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
gorilla glass isn't much better. i know quite a few people who have broken and or scratched their gorilla glass screen on their android phones. i also have an HTC droid ERIS with gorilla glass and i too have scratched it.

I guess like anything it all comes down to how it how the phone lands if you drop it. I also had Android phones that had Gorilla Glass and not one of them got scratched or glass broken even in my pocket with keys. However, I did drop one of them once and my iPhone 4 3 times already and so far I've been lucky enough not to have the glass break.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Technically it does void the warranty but Apple has no way to know you got a new back as long as you replace it with an official one. They are all over the interwebz.

I had a metal back on mine for awhile but went back to the glass back with a faux leather sticker dealy on it. Got my iPhone 4 exchanged last week a day before my warranty was up and the rep never even looked at the screws on the bottom; they were stripped a little from when I first removed them.

I just remembered that Apple changed from phillips screws to a star pattern. My new iP4 has them, so you will also need a special screw driver if you have a newer one. Likely also all over the interwebz by now.

thanks for the info. knowing this now will definitely lower my anxieties due to me not using a case (outside of work). the 4 is just too amazing looking to keep covered up!

i do have the newer version so it does have the 5 point star security screws, which the screwdriver i need is inexpensive as well