What an iPhone can't do?

purwater

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to jump ship from the Droid X as well. I'll miss the Google navigation, but to be honest since Gingerbread it hasn't worked anyways. I'll miss the widgets and a few things, but I'll be gaining some stability which is missing since the GB update. Battery life was actually really great on the Droid before the update. No so much now. My wife's new iphone 4 has been doing well on battery so that's a worry I don't have now when I switch. I've gotten to get extended play time with her iPhone and it's won me over. My work got me a 3GS when they came out, but the signal with AT&T was so horrible I stayed with my blackberry on Verizon and they pay the service. Now I can have the best of both worlds.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't come from a Droid but a BlackBerry instead and the only one thing that I miss (and can't believe it's not an option on iPhone) is that with my BB I could choose to delete mail on my device but not in my actual mailbox. As far as I know you can't do this with the iPhone. If you delete the mail on your device, you delete it altogether - unless I'm missing something?

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I didn't come from a Droid but a BlackBerry instead and the only one thing that I miss (and can't believe it's not an option on iPhone) is that with my BB I could choose to delete mail on my device but not in my actual mailbox. As far as I know you can't do this with the iPhone. If you delete the mail on your device, you delete it altogether - unless I'm missing something?

It depends what type of email you have. If using an exchange type mail if you delete off the iPhone it also deletes off the server which in turn deletes it of other devices. Exchange treats all devices as seeing 1 document that is shared between all devices.

A pop3 type account will treat the email as separate documents meaning you have to delete it off of all devices separately.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It depends what type of email you have. If using an exchange type mail if you delete off the iPhone it also deletes off the server which in turn deletes it of other devices. Exchange treats all devices as seeing 1 document that is shared between all devices.

A pop3 type account will treat the email as separate documents meaning you have to delete it off of all devices separately.

Hmm...I'm only using my own personal gmail and yahoo addresses. I could not find any setting that allows me to delete the email off of my iPhone yet keep it in my mailbox if I were to check my mail online. Every time I've deleted and email on my phone, it's also gone when I log in from a computer. So I'm not really sure how to fix that. If you know what I'm doing wrong, I welcome the input!

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Little things you take for granted really.

Having to connect to your PC to update the software is rather annoying. Although they claim to have that fixed in iOS5, but you STILL need to plug the thing in to get it.

Demanding WiFi for certain apps in the store.

No on-phone file management system.

No easy way to get a ringtone. Seriously this is rather annoying to me. You have to do all of this song and dance to get a ringtone you like.

Internet browsing on it is slower compared to Android's browsing speed. No point in even arguing that point, it's just a fact. My iPhone crawls on the net compared to my old Droid. Also my internet magically becomes faster (WAY faster) when it's tethered. This is just a limitation of the phone currently. Hopefully iOS5 fixes this.

A notification sound regardless of what it is for (A text, or groupon bugging the crap out of me 30 million times a day) has to be the same. My text message's and facebook alerts HAVE to share the same sound. A little irritating not knowing what I can and cannot ignore until I look at the phone.

The notifications are amazingly annoying. But as mentioned a billion times; is being fixed.

No facetime over 3G is rather annoying. But again, iOS5 claims to deliver.

The map's application is smooth and cute, but not the powerhouse that map's in on android. The "directions" it gives you is laughable as it is just as useful as printing out old map quest directions 10 years ago. The fact that I have to pay for navi is rather annoying and the biggest thing I miss from android.

But the phone is good. Really good. The camera is fantastic. Call quality is great. The screen is spot on! And the phone itself is gorgeous! So many people choose to hide their phone behind walls of plastic and metal. I love to show it off!

But the real deal is the app store. Many people can argue it. But the appstore is just plain better than the android market. Did I have to pay for Angry birds this time around? Yup! But it looks better! And get's updates first. Plus the app-store gets preference when dev's make apps usually.

And when it comes down to it, that is where they make or break. People spend all their time on these devices buying, downloading, and playing/using these apps. That's easily 75% of the phones usage.

Before you'd hop on facebook{DAWT}com, but now you just go to the app!
Same for nearly everything else. They've compartmentalized the internet into nice little bite sized pieces. And those little pieces are a billion times better on the app store.

***EDIT***
And NO HDMI out! Seriously, I would LOVE to mirror my iPhone on my TV. The iPad can with iOS5, and it is rather annoying that the iPhone cannot.

***EDIT 2***
If I am incorrect on something here, and you know a way to fix any of my issues, let me know.

Last edited:

L_Boogie820

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Little things you take for granted really.

Having to connect to your PC to update the software is rather annoying. Although they claim to have that fixed in iOS5, but you STILL need to plug the thing in to get it.

Demanding WiFi for certain apps in the store.

No on-phone file management system.

No easy way to get a ringtone. Seriously this is rather annoying to me. You have to do all of this song and dance to get a ringtone you like.

Internet browsing on it is slower compared to Android's browsing speed. No point in even arguing that point, it's just a fact. My iPhone crawls on the net compared to my old Droid. Also my internet magically becomes faster (WAY faster) when it's tethered. This is just a limitation of the phone currently. Hopefully iOS5 fixes this.

A notification sound regardless of what it is for (A text, or groupon bugging the crap out of me 30 million times a day) has to be the same. My text message's and facebook alerts HAVE to share the same sound. A little irritating not knowing what I can and cannot ignore until I look at the phone.

The notifications are amazingly annoying. But as mentioned a billion times; is being fixed.

No facetime over 3G is rather annoying. But again, iOS5 claims to deliver.

The map's application is smooth and cute, but not the powerhouse that map's in on android. The "directions" it gives you is laughable as it is just as useful as printing out old map quest directions 10 years ago. The fact that I have to pay for navi is rather annoying and the biggest thing I miss from android.

But the phone is good. Really good. The camera is fantastic. Call quality is great. The screen is spot on! And the phone itself is gorgeous! So many people choose to hide their phone behind walls of plastic and metal. I love to show it off!

But the real deal is the app store. Many people can argue it. But the appstore is just plain better than the android market. Did I have to pay for Angry birds this time around? Yup! But it looks better! And get's updates first. Plus the app-store gets preference when dev's make apps usually.

And when it comes down to it, that is where they make or break. People spend all their time on these devices buying, downloading, and playing/using these apps. That's easily 75% of the phones usage.

Before you'd hop on facebook{DAWT}com, but now you just go to the app!
Same for nearly everything else. They've compartmentalized the internet into nice little bite sized pieces. And those little pieces are a billion times better on the app store.

***EDIT***
And NO HDMI out! Seriously, I would LOVE to mirror my iPhone on my TV. The iPad can with iOS5, and it is rather annoying that the iPhone cannot.

***EDIT 2***
If I am incorrect on something here, and you know a way to fix any of my issues, let me know.

I understand you 100%. Today is my second week with the 4. I have a Thunderbolt as well. Ill tack on to a few of your points...for one, alot of those gripes can be changed when jailbroken..and fortunately enough, unlike Android where you have to download the whole RUU to go back to stock and clear through CWW and flash through HBoot, all I need to do is plug in to iTunes and restore..thats much faster for me. Here's what I miss with the iPhone (and jailbreak changes):

TRUE push notifications: Yes many apps allow "push" but it just isn't the way my BB or Thunderbolt do it.

LED Notification: I can take it or leave it...but much rather have it. lol(so I downloaded Notified Pro and it actually isn't THAT bad).

FLASH!!!!: It is incredibly annoying to view some sites and you just see this grey box with "flash" in it. (I downloaded FRASH and Idk about others but it still isn't TRUE flash.)

Browsing speeds: Sure, we ALL know Safari sucks. It is SO SLOW. (Fortunately enough, you don't need a jailbreak fix for this. Atomic Browser and iCabMobile are MUCH better, faster, and have the feel of Dolphin Browser [my favorite] and they are right from iTunes)

Navigation: Was another thing I needed. Google Maps was awesome once I rooted and had a better rom/kernel. Now, I just use Navigon. AWESOME and the BEST navigation tool.

Push e-mail: Even when my gmail account was set-up I wasn't getting PUSH notifications. I even tried a couple of useless apps. It was until I found this write-up on setting up my GMail as a microsoft exchange email....WA-LA! Im getting emails RIGHT as they come. The best feeling ever.

I tell people this: I really like my Thunderbolt. It does so much its insane. Sure the battery sucks but when you root and throw on a rom/kernel, that will change. Screen is gorgeous. The iPhone just WORKS. I haven't had any issues (as bad as I talked about Apple products -_-) lol. Im actually looking for iOS5. I think it'll really make me happy.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
What I am missing from Android is that I can take a photo and right away post it to Twitter, Picasa and wherever I want.
This is not built into iOS. If you go to the camroll yoi can just email, mms and in iOS5 tweet it. No Facebook, Spaces, etc.

Reactions: Genericmessage00

Johnny Alien

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
What I am missing from Android is that I can take a photo and right away post it to Twitter, Picasa and wherever I want.
This is not built into iOS. If you go to the camroll yoi can just email, mms and in iOS5 tweet it. No Facebook, Spaces, etc.

True but you can get the Facebook app and just upload from there. It's actually pretty easy although admittedly it can't happen through the camera app like in Android.

L_Boogie820

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

^^This. Its the little things we take for granted. lol. Idk if there is a jailbreak app for that...i guess i should look. lol

WV-ANDROID

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe go to a place that sells droid phones and check them out thats what i did and switched to a droid but i switched back to an iphone after a year and a half.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using the HTC Thunderbolt but I'm considering switching to the iPhone 4. What are some things i cannot do on the iPhone compared to a droid? Or what are some things you wish you could do am iPhone, but can't?
It's really preference that plays the bigger role. What one can or cannot do versus the other doesn't really matter unless you need those things. Start with your needs/wants and work from there. Your approach, as popular as it seems to be, puts the cart before the horse. Selecting a smartphone is always about finding the option that best suits the person shopping. No one device is universally best or else everyone would be using that device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You are going to need to be a lot more specific to your needs because everyone's opinion will differ based on their own needs, wants, desires for how their smart phone should work.

There's nothing the iPhone can't do that an Android phone can IMO.

I bet there will be a string of people commenting below me about how it doesn't background or run widgets. I counter that with great battery life and a phone I don't need to reset and pull the battery out of because I need to manually manage every process like I used to do in 2006.

What do you want your phone to do for you? That's the question.

Edit - One thing it most certainly cannot do is Flash. But again, unimportant to me.

Iphone doesnt have as good a free gps like google maps on android.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Iphone doesnt have as good a free gps like google maps on android.

There are apps for that. Some are free - others aren't. Any one of several apps I've used are every bit as good as a 'droid with Google maps - or better. I don't really care about the "free" part - I want something that works the way I want it to, not how google thinks I ought to like it. I'm willing to pay for something that works - and an iPhone with a paid app, with full maps on the device works.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the current iphone notificatiohn. It's far less annoying than a flashing light. Switching from the Android to an iPhone a good move.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely say notifications like everyone else but thanks to ios5 copying that you're good to go

Also ^^ I missed my notification light when i switched and the new iphone will probably have one of those too so you're really set :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner