Android or iphone?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have already tried 3 of AT&T's top Android devices, and while they were definitely nice, I still went back to my iPhone 4 each and every time. True, a jailbreak is required to get the most features out of the iPhone 4, but it is definitely worth it, IMHO.

SolWgn

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I have already tried 3 of AT&T's top Android devices, and while they were definitely nice, I still went back to my iPhone 4 each and every time. True, a jailbreak is required to get the most features out of the iPhone 4, but it is definitely worth it, IMHO.

Thats because verizon has all of the good android phones. The axtrix is the first real android contender that att has been able to offer. The DroidX and DX2, incredible, thunderbolt are all way better than any android phone att has offered on the past. IMHO, the iphone 4 is the first iphone that has been able to compete with android phones as a whole. The iphones of the past lacked multi-tasking, copy and paste, real navigation and so on. Even now, many of the "cool new" features of iOS5 have been with android since day one.

Also, I do agree that most of the free apps for android are rubbish. The over all quality of iphone apps cant be matched by any other phones os but thats not to say that android doesnt offer great apps too.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thats because verizon has all of the good android phones. The axtrix is the first real android contender that att has been able to offer. The DroidX and DX2, incredible, thunderbolt are all way better than any android phone att has offered on the past. IMHO, the iphone 4 is the first iphone that has been able to compete with android phones as a whole. The iphones of the past lacked multi-tasking, copy and paste, real navigation and so on. Even now, many of the "cool new" features of iOS5 have been with android since day one.

Also, I do agree that most of the free apps for android are rubbish. The over all quality of iphone apps cant be matched by any other phones os but thats not to say that android doesnt offer great apps too.

Androids were better on Verizon than AT&T in the past due to AT&T being the only carrier to have the iPhone here in the US. However, AT&T is definitely catching up to Verizon now in terms of the higher quality Android devices that they now offer. The Samsung Infuse 4G that AT&T just released recently is already doing well in terms of the number of sales. Once the Samsung Galaxy S2 is released on all carriers we should start to see the competition between iOS and Android really pick up speed.

petaf

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have both. ThunderBolt and iphone 4. IOS is incredibly smooth, polished, and easy to use. But I also enjoy my Android. This is why, more often than not, I leave the house toting both devices.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Android to iPhone has been an adjustment for me. Android, in retrospect, seemed more flexible and customizable out of the box. IPhone and my iPad have been a learning-curve experience. At first, slow and frustrating, knowing how to do something in Android but not in iPhone.

However, there are advantages to both, I'm discovering. The sophistication of the Apple apps vs the Android apps (where I had the same app on each os) is dramatic in favor of iPhone. More features, more sophistication in UI experience. Quality is consistent with the iPhone and iPad.

I would recommend, as others have said above, try each and see what works for you. HOWEVER, there are nearly 200 devices running Android now, maybe more. Not all the newest and greatest are on the most current operating system, which for an Android phone is 3.0 Gingerbread. So, be careful in your choices.

roseventyfour

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from Droid Incredible to Iphone 4 a month ago. Even though i liked Android when i had it iOS makes it look bad. The quality of the apps are night and day. Android has been around for almost 4 years and as far as i'm concerned it's still in beta. Customization is quite a bit overrated the widgets only worked about 65% of the time anyway. And honestly how many times are you going to move your icons around? Besides, jailbreaking gives tons of costomizations like Graviboard and Typoclock. I also hated the ad supported apps, busted apps, knock off apps, and lack of decent apps. For example Cut the rope was said to be "coming soon" back in October 2010 but it just came out last week. Ridiculous.

fibermick

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Why I like my iphone 4

I'm a 75 year old granny fascinated by technology. I got the original Droid (Verizon) when it became apparent that Palm (which I used for years) just wasn't going to continue. Had a huge learning curve and got lots of help on forums. Found out very quickly that I didn't use the keyboard so I switched to the Incredible. Didn't like HTC interface all that much but I liked the phone just fine until the Droid X won my heart. Meantime I was always learning. I always liked my friends iPhones but not ATT. So I was in line early for the Verizon iPhone. I love it and don't regret anything. Don't regret the changes because I learned a lot about smart phones. I miss the better contact apps on Android but I sure don't miss the battery drain. I keep looking at my phone at the end of the day and am always amazed that I don't have to charge it.

All that being said, if you like to play/tweak your phone the Android phones can do a lot of that.

Singlestick

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a 75 year old granny fascinated by technology. I got the original Droid (Verizon) when it became apparent that Palm (which I used for years) just wasn't going to continue. Had a huge learning curve and got lots of help on forums. Found out very quickly that I didn't use the keyboard so I switched to the Incredible. Didn't like HTC interface all that much but I liked the phone just fine until the Droid X won my heart. Meantime I was always learning. I always liked my friends iPhones but not ATT. So I was in line early for the Verizon iPhone. I love it and don't regret anything. Don't regret the changes because I learned a lot about smart phones. I miss the better contact apps on Android but I sure don't miss the battery drain. I keep looking at my phone at the end of the day and am always amazed that I don't have to charge it.

All that being said, if you like to play/tweak your phone the Android phones can do a lot of that.

Thanks very much for this. Although I have an iPad, I still use a basic feature phone. I am still trying to decide between android and Apple. You may have pushed me more towards Apple.

Two of the biggest things for me are overall ease of use and battery life. I may take a look at that Droid X, though.

The other thing I find strange is the multiplicity of operating system versions on Android phones. I can never be sure what features are supported, or how long they will be supported. This also makes comparisons more complicated.

French

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The released Gingerbread for Droid X appears to have messed quite a few phones up, mine included. I suddenly couldn't make outgoing calls without a reboot. Couldn't send texts without a reboot. Data would get "stuck", and wifi would drop ALL the time.

I got so frustrated I got an iPhone and it sure is a pleasure to use something that just works.

SirD28

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Incredible to Iphone

I was a Iphone hater for years, overpriced, everything is locked down, blah blah blah. I bought last year a droid incredible and don't get me wrong I have enjoyed it.

I rooted and then went to custom roms, themes, and at first you are like wow this is so much freedom. But then you get bugs, crashes, stuttering UI, and Apps from the Android Market that lack any kind of quality.

I used to think WOW! look at all the free apps from Android, but when you look at it the quality is usually very sub-par and I don't mind spending $1 - $5 for quality software.

My picked would be iOS, because the "closed" market is very good for hardware and software to be perfectly sync up. Honestly there is no reason for a dual-core phones, with 1GB ram to lag on android, but somehow a 800 mhz 512 mb ram iphone will smoke them. Sad really

iOS is the winner IMO.

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3GS and then switched to Nexus One. Now, I'm back on iPhone 4. Yes, like others said it does boil down to personal preference. The reason I switched back to iPhone is UPDATES.

I couldn't stand it when Google plays favourites. Few phones get such updates, few don't. And even if your phone is eligible for a certain update, you have to wait several months after the update is released. And this is coming from an a previous Nexus One owner which means that Nexus One is controlled directly by Google, not the carriers (that was the main reason I bought it). But with Nexus S out, Nexus One gets updated several months after its successor, which is IMHO bull****. I can't stand that.

Hence, back to an iPhone where every phone is Apple's favourite phone ;)

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd say play around with an android and then an iPhone and see which one fits your needs. asking here at TiPb you will mostly get "iPhone is the best" etc. and if you ask over at Android Central you'll get "android's better" etc. So just play around with one of each and see what you like better.

aliasfan

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
as a Android user I can tell you I have issues with my droid X, at times I love it and at times I hate it with a passion the rest of my family owns Apple products and I see how easy it is to navigate on a Mac or a iphone. BUT if I was to do it ALL OVER agian I would pick iphone Android is too "messy" iphone is much cleaner as far as OS and the visual display is better, apps galore.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The released Gingerbread for Droid X appears to have messed quite a few phones up, mine included. I suddenly couldn't make outgoing calls without a reboot. Couldn't send texts without a reboot. Data would get "stuck", and wifi would drop ALL the time.

I got so frustrated I got an iPhone and it sure is a pleasure to use something that just works.

The freeze ups are one thing that I definitely don't miss. My iPhone 4 has yet to freeze up on me and I've had it for almost a year now.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

skafri#WN

May 1, 2011
Visit site
After jailbreaking, I can honestly say that the only thing I miss about Android is the option for different keyboards. SwiftKey was amazing. I want keyboard options on iOS! Everything else has been taken care of through jailbreaking.

appgirl

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my iphone 4 soo much! I would say 9 out of 10 of my friends have one as well, the droid is cool but the iphone will always be numba 1 in my mind.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Fragmentation is really getting out of hand on android. Apps get released and they are only compatible with half the handsets. Os updates are horrific as well. Google really messed up by allowing the ecosystem to get so out of control. On the positive side, hardware is awesome on android. I bought the galaxy s2 and the thing simply blows away everything else on the market. At least for the next couple of months.

E350

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm fortuned enough to have both, iphone 4 and htc inspire, jailbroken and rooted. I love em both, if you get to know what your phone is capable of and tweek them right, you can't go wrong with either.
Good luck choosing.
T.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR