I recently traded my Thunderbolt for an iPhone 4 last month. I had the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4 on AT&T so I was spoiled by the battery life. I had the highest insurance plan available on the Thunderbolt and when I switched phones, it automatically adjusted to the $10.99 iPhone insurance plan. I called Asurion to ask if it could actually transfer over to me and they said since I have always had an insurance plan on my line that it could switch over and it would be honored. Does anyone know if this really is true?

*I posted this in a different thread but I may get more answers if I post it in a thread of it's own.*
    06-27-2011 12:00 PM
    Yes, its true!
    06-27-2011 12:02 PM
    Agreed, it is true.
    06-27-2011 12:12 PM
    Thank you so much!! It really makes me feel better knowing that my phone is insured. AT&T didn't have insurance for the iPhone... Thank goodness for Verizon!!
    06-27-2011 12:22 PM
    Thank you so much!! It really makes me feel better knowing that my phone is insured. AT&T didn't have insurance for the iPhone... Thank goodness for Verizon!!
    Just know that the deductible on an iphone is $149 for a 16gb and $199 for a 32gb! It's crazy expensive.
    06-27-2011 01:30 PM
    Try calling your local state farm and see if they offer personal articles policy.

I have it and it's $40 a year and 0 deductible. It covers loss, theft, and damage.
    06-27-2011 03:36 PM
    I called asurion today and was told no, my insurance from my previous device did not carry over.. What am i doing wrong? They actually gave me Apples Care's number and said to call them and get apple care..
    06-28-2011 12:14 AM
    I called asurion today and was told no, my insurance from my previous device did not carry over.. What am i doing wrong? They actually gave me Apples Care's number and said to call them and get apple care..
    There is a yearly limit, maybe you surpassed that? They are probably saying you need to switch to $10.99 .... even if it is $169 or $199 that is still less than if you don't have it and have to shell out $650 or $750 to replace the phone.
    06-28-2011 12:22 AM
    I had the Total Equipment Coverage, and hell ill gladly pay the $10.99. Like you said, small price to pay for such an expensive piece of equipment. But they didn't even mention it as an option. They just shuffled me off to Apple Care.. Which i suppose is nice, but NOT the same as insurance..

Maybe i will call them again tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks for the input tho.
    06-28-2011 12:39 AM
    Insurance is in business to make money, Paying deductible is part of the business as $10.99 month alone will not cover the cost.
    State Farm stopped covering Iphones and Ipad coverages, contact your agent to verify.
    Most insurance companies will not convert an existing policy to a new device as there are no comparison between thunderbolt and an Iphone.
    06-28-2011 08:52 AM
    Actually there is a comparison. Thunderbolt sells for $750 off contract. Same price as a 32GB iphone.

It should convert in that case.
    06-28-2011 09:33 AM
    you might want to look into squaretrade for insurance on the iphone. $99.00 for two years of insurance and a $50.00 deductible.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    06-29-2011 01:25 AM
    you might want to look into squaretrade for insurance on the iphone. $99.00 for two years of insurance and a $50.00 deductible.
    Thank you, i will look into that tomorrow.
    06-29-2011 02:24 AM
    Square trade insurance does not provide theft coverage.
    06-29-2011 07:45 PM
    Square trade insurance does not provide theft coverage.
    my phone is never away from me so not an issue. but i suppose if you're careless and leave it out then you should look into something else.
    06-29-2011 11:24 PM
    my phone is never away from me so not an issue. but i suppose if you're careless and leave it out then you should look into something else.
    So if a persons phone is stolen then it means that they are careless?
    06-30-2011 01:41 PM
    So if a persons phone is stolen then it means that they are careless?
    Unless you were mugged, your house was broken into while you slept (which would be a neat trick as i assume like me most people have theirs next to the bed) or something of that nature, then yes, you were pretty much careless.

And i am sure i will get a 1001 reasons i missed why it's not the persons fault, but in general yep, careless.
    Last edited by AJ_Watson; 06-30-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    jpg likes this.
    06-30-2011 05:00 PM
    Unless you were mugged, your house was broken into while you slept (which would be a neat trick as i assume like me most people have theirs next to the bed) or something of that nature, then yes, you were pretty much careless.

And i am sure i will get a 1001 reasons i missed why it's not the persons fault, but in general yep, careless.
    Judgemental much?!

I have had 2 phones stolen from me over the last 15 years of having a cell phone. One was out of my car at a softball game I was playing in. My door was locked and it was in my jockey box. I don't see how this is my fault at all. The second time I had one stolen from me was at work. It was locked in my locker. Again, I don't see how that is my fault.

I think you might need to get off your high horse with this subject.
    06-30-2011 05:22 PM
    Judgemental much?!

I have had 2 phones stolen from me over the last 15 years of having a cell phone. One was out of my car at a softball game I was playing in. My door was locked and it was in my jockey box. I don't see how this is my fault at all. The second time I had one stolen from me was at work. It was locked in my locker. Again, I don't see how that is my fault.

I think you might need to get off your high horse with this subject.
    ME??

Like i said above, i am sure someone will point out exceptions. Those are certainly 2. As both are comparable to being robbed!

See you actually helped here negative Nancy!

And one thing i am NOT, is judgmental. I leave that for the others.
    jpg likes this.
    06-30-2011 08:21 PM
    ME??

Like i said above, i am sure someone will point out exceptions. Those are certainly 2. As both are comparable to being robbed!

See you actually helped here negative Nancy!

And one thing i am NOT, is judgmental. I leave that for the others.
    Most times that ones phone is stolen is not their fault. And saying that it is their fault is very judgemental.
    07-01-2011 12:01 PM
    I agreed, it is true.
    07-01-2011 12:19 PM
    Most times that ones phone is stolen is not their fault. And saying that it is their fault is very judgemental.
    You madam are incorrect.

It is a well known fact that most times WE make theft easy by doing things that make it easy for the thieves.. Leaving it on the bar while you go to the head, oh im just running into the store for a moment and leaving it on the seat, leaving it anywhere unattended is just asking for it to be stolen. Because while the individual may be oblivious to their surrounding, i assure the thief is well aware of exactly where your wallet/purse/expensive electronic device is even if you are not.

As you clearly stated YOU did all you could to prevent a theft short of hiring a security guard.. But don't for a minute tell me that everyone who has ever had something stolen from them was as diligent as you!

I saw 3 woman at the grocery store this morning wandering the aisles while leaving their cart at the other end, 2 of them had cell phones hanging on them and 1 had car keys.. So unless someone is doing exactly what you did, or is held up and mugged or robbed while sleeping there is usually something more they could have done to prevent it.. Believe me the world is filled with shoddy crooked people just looking for the opportunity to take what you have.. And sadly we as a society make it entirely to easy for them.
    Last edited by AJ_Watson; 07-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    07-01-2011 12:20 PM
    I love it when people already know if their property will be stolen.
    07-02-2011 04:27 PM
    If you break anything Apple will replace the phone for a $199 fee for the 16gig. If you break the back glass they will replace that in store for $30. They have even been known to do both for free. So beyond theft if you are talking about accidental damage the insurance is a complete rip. You will pay $11 a month and then $150 for a replacement unit that will probably be a refurb. So if you damage it after 10 months you will pay $260 for a replacement unit. Pay out the money for Applecare if you like but the insurance for damage is a sham.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    07-03-2011 06:02 PM
    So would anyone buy an Iphone without insurance? I've never had a phone stolen or lost. I've dinged one a little(had no case),but since then I've had cases for them. I'm thinking of getting the iPhone 5 in early 2013. Thanks for anyones thoughts.....
    07-06-2011 11:58 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD