First iphone

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just got my first iphone, coming over from BB. So far its nothing short of amazing.. But i am sure i will have lots of questions. I will try not to bother people too much.

Thanks again

AJ

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got my first one as well last night. Coming from a Droid X. I love this phone thus far. Everything seems so much more polished and smoother than the Android OS. Even the apps are more polished as well... I think I have a winner here for sure.:D

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got my first one as well last night. Coming from a Droid X. I love this phone thus far. Everything seems so much more polished and smoother than the Android OS. Even the apps are more polished as well... I think I have a winner here for sure.:D

Fully agree, no brand bashing or anything but yes much more user friendly so far. Now as soon as im comes out I won't miss bbm ;)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

We've been trying to tell people that for the last couple years ;)

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I got my first iPhone in December, and was very amazed coming from my BB Storm...

Then my screen broke and used the BB until it was stolen... Went without a phone for two weeks before getting my phone fixed and I must say I'm amazed all over again. I click an app, and it runs... I can have more than just a handful of apps... I love the SMS ui... And best of all - no BATTERY PULLS!

Reactions: OMR and AJ_Watson

SK1

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just got my first iphone, coming over from BB. So far its nothing short of amazing.. But i am sure i will have lots of questions. I will try not to bother people too much.

Thanks again

AJ

I am right there with you. Just got my first iPhone three weeks ago. It has it's pros and cons, but overall, I do like the phone. :cool:

palmprenc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I got mine a couple of weeks ago coming from the pre. So far,so good.... Although I miss some aspects of the pre, I have been happy with my decision. Pre Central has the rep for being very helpful and informative. I'm finding TiPb just as good. Enjoy your new phone and don't hesitate to ask away as the guys and gals here will help.

Luzabeth

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone for about 3 weeks now, came from a BB Bold 9650 and I don't miss BB at all. I really love my phone and all the apps that I can find with it.

Welcome to the family!

Reactions: AJ_Watson

rosser

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC DROD Incredible right now. I am getting really sick of it. Rooting (the android equivalent of jailbreaking) and doing other stuff is getting boring. I am thinking about getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out. I am due for an upgrade by at least March.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC DROD Incredible right now. I am getting really sick of it. Rooting (the android equivalent of jailbreaking) and doing other stuff is getting boring. I am thinking about getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out. I am due for an upgrade by at least March.

I think thats what i like best.. Not have to do ANYTHING and it works seamlessly the first time.. I don't HAVE to root or J/B or anything to just have a pleasant enjoyable experience with my device.

tmarkt utd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Can I jump in on the action here. I don't have an iPhone yet, but I am seriously thinking of getting one. Although I might wait until iPhone 5 hits the shelves.
I'm not a hater or a troll or whatever else, but, I am getting frustrated with waiting for a headline grabbing phone from RIM.
I would like to ask a few questions from people who know this platform. I have only used a BlackBerry smartphone, so my experience is all RIM.
My main needs are text communication - be it SMS, email, IM (BBM mainly) or facebook/twitter. I don't make a massive amount of phone calls.
I have to be able to use Wi-Fi as I live in a poor reception area for my network and although this is an issue, becasue of my heavily discounted broadband by having a mobile phone from them, I am happy to stay - as long as I can use Wi-Fi. I currently use the Wi-Fi for sending SMS, email, IM (BBM mainly) and facebook/twitter and the odd time I make/receive a call.
I have 6 email accounts on my BB, although I could trim this down to 3 or 4 without too much hassle. And I have 2 calendars that I use all the time.
I LOVE being able to customise the sound notifications as I am not a fan of the 'standard' tones, and I like to change regularly as I get bored with the same sound all the time. (I am aware that I would have to give up my flashing LED if I leave BB.) I also like the facility to place the handset into a different profile, i.e. louder with vibrate for outside, and no vibration with quiter volume for inside etc.
I would like decent battery life (minimum of a full day on one charge)! The auto on/off facility is good too for sleep time.
I have been able to see that the apps I would like to use are available (and them some), so, no problems there.
Auto Text to add own words to a dictionary so that a few letters can change into the word I want it to is fairly important also.
A good weather app with location based service is quite important as I travel around/stay away a lot in my job.
The ability to get a lot of music on the phone would be nice (32gb pref) but is not a deal breaker as I currently use my iPod over a phone for music, plus the iPod behaves better with iTunes than any non-Apple product.
Good facebook/twitter integration with the platform for adding pictures and getting notifications in a timely manner is quite high up the list.
Multi-tasking to be able to switch between apps is something I use a lot also.
Apologies if this is a lot of information, but IF someone can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.
I also would like to apologise if I am just too deeply ingrained in BB and I offend anyone with my niave comments, but these are the things I feel are the main considerations for me at this time. My Bold 9700 OS6 is on contract and that contract is now ready to upgrade, and like most men out there, I am itching to get a new gadget/toy to play with.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark - the noob

French

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been on a BB in a while but I'll try to help/respond.

You WILL miss profiles if you use them now.

You can't change text notifications to anything other than what is stock on the phone. You can change ringtones to your own after loading them to the phone. You can also give individuals their own ringtones.

BBM you will obviously lose this. I remember that being a bit painful when I left BB. But when iOS 5 releases in September (hopefully) it will have its own version of BBM that can be used across all iOS devices and I think Mac OS as well (don't hold me to the mac OS). With the iPhone being on AT&T and Verizon, and the list of devices including the iPod Touch and iPad, this could be huge. There are IM apps you can get if you need something more than texting.

I switched from BB to Android, and Android to iPhone. I got fed up with the BB (Storm 2) and having to do battery pulls with 15 minute reboots. The Android was SUCH a nice upgrade. I mean imagine a web browser you can REALLY surf the internet with, on your phone!

However Android has its share of issues, too. It's really getting fragmented and my Droid X was having serious issues with suddenly not being able to dial out or send a text message (which always required a reboot). I got fed up and said I just want something that WORKS.

And so I got an iPhone. And it does JUST WORK. I have not had to do a reboot since I got it 3 weeks ago (though I did do one other day just because).

I feel I might have lost some functionality moving from Android to iPhone but I can live with it. However I think moving from a BB to an iPhone...well I think you'll love it. Everything just works. It's a solid device.

The iPhone is also very well supported from a developer/app perspective, and it's also well supported from an accessory perspective. I mean they are coming out with blood pressure cuffs and stuff to use with the iPhone!

Last edited:

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been on a BB in a while but I'll try to help/respond.

You WILL miss profiles if you use them now.

You can't change text notifications to anything other than what is stock on the phone. You can change ringtones to your own after loading them to the phone. You can also give individuals their own ringtones.

BBM you will obviously lose this. I remember that being a bit painful when I left BB. But when iOS 5 releases in September (hopefully) it will have its own version of BBM that can be used across all iOS devices and I think Mac OS as well (don't hold me to the mac OS). With the iPhone being on AT&T and Verizon, and the list of devices including the iPod Touch and iPad, this could be huge. There are IM apps you can get if you need something more than texting.

I switched from BB to Android, and Android to iPhone. I got fed up with the BB (Storm 2) and having to do battery pulls with 15 minute reboots. The Android was SUCH a nice upgrade. I mean imagine a web browser you can REALLY surf the internet with, on your phone!

However Android has its share of issues, too. It's really getting fragmented and my Droid X was having serious issues with suddenly not being able to dial out or send a text message (which always required a reboot). I got fed up and said I just want something that WORKS.

And so I got an iPhone. And it does JUST WORK. I have not had to do a reboot since I got it 3 weeks ago (though I did do one other day just because).

I feel I might have lost some functionality moving from Android to iPhone but I can live with it. However I think moving from a BB to an iPhone...well I think you'll love it. Everything just works. It's a solid device.

The iPhone is also very well supported from a developer/app perspective, and it's also well supported from an accessory perspective. I mean they are coming out with blood pressure cuffs and stuff to use with the iPhone!

I can not agree more with everything you just said, and i too took the BB to Android to ip4 route, so i know what you mean about missing a few things. But NOTHING bad enough to make me switch back to either device.

I like just picking my phone up and KNOWING it's going to work, and work just the way i want it to. And while there may be a slight difference in battery life between the BB and the ip4, it's negligible (as i charge every night) as my BB i could go every other day, and with the ip4 even if i didn't charge every night i know i could use it most of the next day without much fear.

And i wont even get into the battery life between my ip4 and my thunderbolt;)

Over all, a fantastic experience that i truly cannot recommend high enough!

ubuntudroid

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I've got just as many apps if not more than my Storm and the iPhone runs just as quick as the day I got it (couple of weeks ago). Say that for the Storm...NOT!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73