I'd like to get a Verizon 4 iphone before July 7 to take advantage of the unlimited data feature. However, my non-smart phone's contact runs out in July after that date. So if I upgraded to a smart phone I'd have to pay full price.

What I was going to do is this: Buy a new iPhone 4 (before July 7) opening a new account, thus getting the iPhone for 299.99 (32 GB) instead of paying full price. I would switch the number of the old phone to the new one, then after my old phone's contract runs out next month, simply discontinue that account. I would then have my new iphone 4 with an unlimited data package.

I chatted with a Verizon employee on line about this, and they said it is allowed. It all seems too easy for me to do, though. Am I missing something?
    06-24-2011 08:07 AM
    You wouldn't be able to port till after your contract runs out most likely. That being said if you currently have unlimited you can keep it after your upgrade anyway.
    06-24-2011 09:00 AM
    ...most carriers WILL allow one to 'upgrade' within three months of their contract expiring.

I'd say just go in and ask to upgrade to an iPhone 4. I bet they do it for you since your contract expiration is imminent.
    06-24-2011 09:24 AM
    ...most carriers WILL allow one to 'upgrade' within three months of their contract expiring.

I'd say just go in and ask to upgrade to an iPhone 4. I bet they do it for you since your contract expiration is imminent.
    Exactly. The "upgrade window" opens within 3 months of the end of the contract. And in some instances, upgrading from a non-smartphone to a smartphone will be allowed outside that window.

Night Hawk - go to a store and they should be able to tell you if you're eligible to upgrade or not right now... or do it on-line via your account's MyVerizon page if you have it set up.
    06-24-2011 09:59 AM

Nope. At least when we are talking Verizon and to an iPhone. My sister in law, who is on our account, was due for an upgrade on April 13. Her Storm pooped out on April 11. When she wanted to upgrade to the iPhone they told her no. I took this all the way up to the regional VP and still they wouldn't do it. I had them start the process on canceling 7 lines of service and they would not budge. They said they couldn't because of Apple. They were willing to give her upgrade on any phone except the iPhone. We took the deal. So they gave her a Storm 2 for free to use for 2 days and then let her get the iPhone on the 13th.
    06-24-2011 10:30 AM
    Just went to my on line Verizon account, and the only upgrade path to a white 32GB iPhone is the $749.99 price.

I'll try going to the store, but if that fails, then I'll revert to my original strategy (which seems like a little "end around") for such a large corporation like Verizon. But, it does fit in with how the little guy is being squeezed in today's world (Sarcasm intended).
    06-24-2011 10:37 AM
    That price, $749.99, is staggering...

Just went to my on line Verizon account, and the only upgrade path to a white 32GB iPhone is the $749.99 price.

I'll try going to the store, but if that fails, then I'll revert to my original strategy (which seems like a little "end around") for such a large corporation like Verizon. But, it does fit in with how the little guy is being squeezed in today's world (Sarcasm intended).
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    06-24-2011 10:48 AM
    That is bad! Seems Verizon didn't get the 'best' deal with Apple, did they?

Nope. At least when we are talking Verizon and to an iPhone. My sister in law, who is on our account, was due for an upgrade on April 13. Her Storm pooped out on April 11. When she wanted to upgrade to the iPhone they told her no. I took this all the way up to the regional VP and still they wouldn't do it. I had them start the process on canceling 7 lines of service and they would not budge. They said they couldn't because of Apple. They were willing to give her upgrade on any phone except the iPhone. We took the deal. So they gave her a Storm 2 for free to use for 2 days and then let her get the iPhone on the 13th.
    06-24-2011 10:48 AM
    this all seems strange...i had almost year left on my droid contract (got it on release day) and i was able to get an upgrade to use on the feb. pre-order date. so i got a 16g vip for the 199.99 new contract price.

i didn't even have to call verizon for it, it said i was eligible for an "early upgrade" in my web account so i did it.
    06-24-2011 01:04 PM
    Usually they will bend over backwards to get a non-smartphone into a smartphone because of the money they will get from you going to smartphone. In the case of the Storm, that's about right because of the fact you already had a smartphone and Verizon wouldn't be benefiting from upgrading you from a Storm to an iPhone other then MAYBE getting 1 or 2 accessories.

At least this was the rule of thumb when I was a sales rep and things could have changed.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    06-24-2011 02:01 PM
    My upgrade is due july 10th, they just let me upgrade to an ip4 from my 9650 at the upgrade price, no questions asked..
    06-24-2011 02:03 PM
    How about just buying or borrowing a cheap smartphone that requires data? For instance, grab a cheap blackberry or Android device, add the data plan and when it's time to upgrade just get your iPhone. And then sell or give back the cheap smartphone that you used as a place holder. That's easy enough right?

On a side note, I've had very good experiences with Verizon giving me upgrades. When I ported over to them a few months ago they required a security deposit of 200 per line (2 lines). I didn't mind so I paid it. But for some other reasons last month I left VZW, sold my iPhones and they applied my security deposit to the ETFs and I paid the remainder with the money I made on the iPhones. So I was good. So not even a month later I decide I had to go back to Verizon. Called them up told them I wanted to come back but I also needed to bring over 2 additional lines. So of course I'm think I'd have to pay deposits on those lines too, right? Nope. They re-ran my credit and said I could bring all 4 lines over with no deposit, reversed the ETF fees from before, refunding my original security deposit AND allowed all 4 lines to be eligible for phone upgrades. So I was able to get mine and my wife's iPhones back for the discount price. The only way they could have topped that service was to give me free service for a year
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    06-24-2011 03:12 PM
    How about just buying or borrowing a cheap smartphone that requires data? For instance, grab a cheap blackberry or Android device, add the data plan and when it's time to upgrade just get your iPhone. And then sell or give back the cheap smartphone that you used as a place holder. That's easy enough right?

On a side note, I've had very good experiences with Verizon giving me upgrades. When I ported over to them a few months ago they required a security deposit of 200 per line (2 lines). I didn't mind so I paid it. But for some other reasons last month I left VZW, sold my iPhones and they applied my security deposit to the ETFs and I paid the remainder with the money I made on the iPhones. So I was good. So not even a month later I decide I had to go back to Verizon. Called them up told them I wanted to come back but I also needed to bring over 2 additional lines. So of course I'm think I'd have to pay deposits on those lines too, right? Nope. They re-ran my credit and said I could bring all 4 lines over with no deposit, reversed the ETF fees from before, refunding my original security deposit AND allowed all 4 lines to be eligible for phone upgrades. So I was able to get mine and my wife's iPhones back for the discount price. The only way they could have topped that service was to give me free service for a year
    Now that's service!!
    06-24-2011 03:25 PM

I think the problem is that even if he does that, he'd still be "upgrading" once
    he gets the i4 which means he'd have to sign a new service agreement. And
    by that time they won't have unlimited data plans to offer anymore. I don't
    know if they'd let him grandfather it.
    06-24-2011 04:46 PM

would they let him grandfather in if its comes from BB or Android? I know Att wouldnt allow that. It had to be from iPhone to iPhone and same with BB and Androids to get grandfathered
    06-24-2011 04:51 PM
    I think the problem is that even if he does that, he'd still be "upgrading" once
    he gets the i4 which means he'd have to sign a new service agreement. And
    by that time they won't have unlimited data plans to offer anymore. I don't
    know if they'd let him grandfather it.
    It's already reported that users that already have unlimited data will be able to keep it whether they upgrade or change devices.

would they let him grandfather in if its comes from BB or Android? I know Att wouldnt allow that. It had to be from iPhone to iPhone and same with BB and Androids to get grandfathered
    Yeah you're right about the blackberry, but Android and iOS is the same data so he'd be able to switch those without issues. At least that's what's being reported now anyway.

Here's what's being reported on here and other sites:

Breakdown: Verizons new data plans | TiPb
    Verizon's tiered data plans reaffirmed by leak

Key parts:

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

* EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
    * EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
    * EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
    * NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package
    * NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

The OP or anyone else should not have a problem switching between devices that already have the unlimited data. Now for blackberry that may be a different story since the plans are technically different even though the price is the same. But the release does not differentiate between unlimited plans it just says whether you have one or not. So who knows about BB. If I was the OP, I grab a cheap Android device a couple days before the 7th and add it with unlimited data and switch to the iPhone when they upgrade. They will be able to keep their plan.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-24-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    06-24-2011 06:07 PM
    If they won't for an iphone then see if they will do it for a different smartphone. Then do the 14 day exchange for the iphone after like 10 days.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    06-24-2011 07:36 PM
    What I was going to do is this: Buy a new iPhone 4 (before July 7) opening a new account, thus getting the iPhone for 299.99 (32 GB) instead of paying full price. I would switch the number of the old phone to the new one, then after my old phone's contract runs out next month, simply discontinue that account. I would then have my new iphone 4 with an unlimited data package.
    I actually did something similar -- opened a new line to get the iPhone at contract price -- but chose not to port my number over. My plan isn't up until February though, so it wouldn't have been an immediate enough port for me. Instead I just decided to keep that line open until it expires. Good luck!
    Night Hawk likes this.
    06-25-2011 08:14 PM
    My upgrade is due july 10th, they just let me upgrade to an ip4 from my 9650 at the upgrade price, no questions asked..
    Ditto! My upgrade isn't due until Feb 2012, but I received a text from VZW a month ago telling me I can do an "early" upgrade at any time, no fees, etc. So I'm heavily considering getting my iP4 ($199 16gb or $299 32gb) now instead of waiting for February.
    07-07-2011 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD