Battery Issue?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had my I-Phone 4 for 4 months. Up to this point, averaging 5 1/2 to 6 hours per charge. I do a drain every other week, etc. I have been quite happy. I have noticed in the past week the battery is draining a lot quicker. Instance, last night before bed I had an 85%, when I woke up 8 hours later, it dropped to 58%, why? I had nothing running except the standard phone/messaging apps. I did have the weather channel open but not actively using. Could it have been that app due to GPS or updating?

Can anyone explain?

Kazakaz

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Since the weather channel app was open, could it be possible that it kept refreshing the weather all night? I've never used the weather channel app, so I don't know if it refreshes every few minutes if left open.

Last edited:

maaatter

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It could most likely just be the weather app, since it still is running in the background. That's why I always make it a habit to exit all the apps before I put it on to charge for the night.

Coraya

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If you're only getting up to 6 hours out of your battery its your own fault. People never listen to representitives or the manual when it tells you that you should let your battery drain then do a FULL charge (without unplugging the phone from the charger) for the first 3 charging cycles. IT maximizes battery life. you can tell if you did this correctly if it takes your iphone over an hour to recharge itself completely. I have 17% battery life left since yesterday morning. my phone has been on for the past 27 hours. i use it heavily and it lasts me an incredibly long time. The problem lies on how you charge your phone. Charge it correctly and you wont have to complain about the battery life. Cheers!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you're only getting up to 6 hours out of your battery its your own fault. People never listen to representitives or the manual when it tells you that you should let your battery drain then do a FULL charge (without unplugging the phone from the charger) for the first 3 charging cycles. IT maximizes battery life. you can tell if you did this correctly if it takes your iphone over an hour to recharge itself completely. I have 17% battery life left since yesterday morning. my phone has been on for the past 27 hours. i use it heavily and it lasts me an incredibly long time. The problem lies on how you charge your phone. Charge it correctly and you wont have to complain about the battery life. Cheers!

Sorry, Phil, but I have to call "B.S.". First of all, there is no such information in the iPhone User Guide. Second, here is the link that is referenced in the User Guide concerning batteries:

Apple - Batteries

That is Apple's official stance.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, Phil, but I have to call "B.S.". First of all, there is no such information in the iPhone User Guide. Second, here is the link that is referenced in the User Guide concerning batteries:

Apple - Batteries

That is Apple's official stance.

[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]iPhone specific[/URL]

Full cycle once a month.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Might I recommend the "Battery Magic" app? I normally shy away from app like this cause they are generally garbage, and the only function of the app that is worth the $ is that it tracks your full cycle charges. I notice an increase in battery life after I have done a full cycle charge. You can do it without the app by letting your battery dip below 25%, but I have actually felt a benefit from having the app. Weather that is perceived or not is up for debate, but it seem to do me some good. Just my 2 bits.

cmpdblue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just lucky or something, but I text moderately throughout the work day, with several short phone calls, as well as some internet usage (3G). I work 10 hour shifts. When I get home on an average day, I still have 50-60 % of my battery left.

As a former BB user, I am still amazed at the battery life - among other things with this device

msh441#IM

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon iPhone is 4 months old.

I've followed the recommendations I've read here about a full, deep-cycle charge (which I actually do once a week).

I turn off apps running in the background, limit push notifications and fetch e-mail from two accounts once per hour.

I'm in a pretty good signal area (3-5 bars consistantly) with my signal dropping out of 3G occassionally while inside my office (secure facility/metal building). <Thats with one of those brushed metal battery covers - which some have suggested drop the signal streangth>

I average about 6-8 hours of normal usage time (texts, calls, web browsing, reading e-mails, music and a few games here and there), with about 16-18 hours on standby.

I was concerned at first, as my HTC Touch Pro II had a bit better battery life (but not much). But in reality, it's easy to plug in throughout the day if I really needed to. And UNLIKE my previous Windows Mobile phones, this thing just works soooo smooth 99.9% of the time. Beautiful and stable is a fair trade IMO.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery drain is not impacted so much by how you charge the device (i.e. letting it drain every other week or once a month) but rather, how you use your phone and the things that drain it. Yes, the charging cycle will PROLONG the life of the battery in terms of years, but the impact after a few months is not even noticeable. Unless, the battery is defective.

What your looking for is increasing battery USEAGE times which is impacted by things like screen brightness, WI-FI searching, Email check frequency, signal strength and how power hungry the apps your using are, amongst other things.

First start with this. Do a hard reset on your device. This will allow the device to "regain its equilibrium" (IMO should be done monthly or at a minimum a soft reset, this goes for all electronic devices). Next, go into settings and reduce the levels of the features that may be running higher than optimal or what you need them to be. THen, update your roaming capabilities as frequently as possible ESPECIALLY, if you travel a lot. Get into the habit of pulling up your multi-tasking apps, and close what you do not want opened. Then sit back and enjoy the device. There is no single solution for increasing battery usage life but collaboratively, it may make a difference.

If all this fails KEEP A CHARGER WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES....LOL

Good Luck!

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]iPhone specific[/URL]

Full cycle once a month.

This is what I have always sworn by and my battery is pretty good compared to most on this forum. I consider myself a heavy user too

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73