Hi all.. I purchased an Iphone 4 on amazon that was stated as brand new (when I received it phone it was still sealed and everything) about 2 months ago. It is an AT&T iphone 4 unlocked by ultrasn0w with preserved 01.59 baseband... I purchased it because where I live we didn't have the iphone 4 (launched a month later due to my luck) and I couldn't get my hands on a factory unlocked phone because I fell short for a few bucks (hundred better said). The phone works great, no issues except for I noticed there is touch screen operation interference when I plug it into the wall charger when I have a case on so I decided to get it checked... so when I was prompted to input the hardware serial number, it is shown to be a replaced phone. I spoke to the seller and he has no idea why that happened because he bought it brand new as well.

Will this have any negative effect if I take it to an apple store to have it checked?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long rant. Thanks.

*****EDIT***********
    The charger is the one causing the touch screen interference... for future reference if anyone else had come across the same issue.
    Last edited by aberrant.chicken; 06-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    06-14-2011 10:47 PM
    Apple won't do anything for you for free. They can fix it at a cost to you because it wasn't purchased from them. The warranty is void. That's about it. You can always take it to any cell phone repair shop and see what they can do. It'll probably be cheaper than the apple option. But at the same time they won't do as good of a job as apple.
    06-14-2011 11:39 PM
    Hi all.. I purchased an Iphone 4 on amazon that was stated as brand new (when I received it phone it was still sealed and everything) about 2 months ago. It is an AT&T iphone 4 unlocked by ultrasn0w with preserved 01.59 baseband... I purchased it because where I live we didn't have the iphone 4 (launched a month later due to my luck) and I couldn't get my hands on a factory unlocked phone because I fell short for a few bucks (hundred better said). The phone works great, no issues except for I noticed there is touch screen operation interference when I plug it into the wall charger when I have a case on so I decided to get it checked... so when I was prompted to input the hardware serial number, it is shown to be a replaced phone. I spoke to the seller and he has no idea why that happened because he bought it brand new as well.

Will this have any negative effect if I take it to an apple store to have it checked?

I think it's a known issue is it a white iPhone ? Do some searches

As far as apple checking it out don't matter where u got it apple will look at it regardless if it's a defect I'm sure they can do something but they won't If it's JB and unlocked so if u want To take it in restore it back to original also see if u have the issue when it's not JB
    06-15-2011 12:04 AM
    Apple won't do anything for you for free. They can fix it at a cost to you because it wasn't purchased from them. The warranty is void. That's about it. You can always take it to any cell phone repair shop and see what they can do. It'll probably be cheaper than the apple option. But at the same time they won't do as good of a job as apple.
    I wasn't expecting them to do anything for me for free given the fact that I purchased it off amazon and not from them or any authorized seller; i just wanted to make sure that there won't be any kind of negative effects by bringing the phone in when it's shown as a replaced device on the system... what a bummer though.

I think it's a known issue is it a white iPhone ? Do some searches

As far as apple checking it out don't matter where u got it apple will look at it regardless if it's a defect I'm sure they can do something but they won't If it's JB and unlocked so if u want To take it in restore it back to original also see if u have the issue when it's not JB
    It's a black iphone and it's JB and unlocked because we didn't have iphones where I live until a month after I purchased this one. I can't do the restore because I would end up having a very expensive ipod... we don't have AT&T where I live. Do you happen to know if Apple offers any trade in programs? I feel super bummed that NOW they are selling unlocked iphones in the state...
    06-15-2011 12:34 AM
    I wasn't expecting them to do anything for me for free given the fact that I purchased it off amazon and not from them or any authorized seller; i just wanted to make sure that there won't be any kind of negative effects by bringing the phone in when it's shown as a replaced device on the system... what a bummer though.

It's a black iphone and it's JB and unlocked because we didn't have iphones where I live until a month after I purchased this one. I can't do the restore because I would end up having a very expensive ipod... we don't have AT&T where I live. Do you happen to know if Apple offers any trade in programs? I feel super bummed that NOW they are selling unlocked iphones in the state...
    Just wondering what case your using and how many have you tried ?
    06-15-2011 08:54 PM
    Just wondering what case your using and how many have you tried ?
    the one i bought and gave me this problem is the griffin reveal case... i tried a pdo clear hardcase that gave me less interference... i have to hold the top half of the phone to avoid it... i also tried a few random cases from my friends... mostly hardcase snap ons.. and the interference ranges from minimal to totally unusable.
    06-16-2011 01:04 AM
    How can anyone claim anything as brand new when it's already been unlocked using a hack?
    06-16-2011 01:22 AM
    How can anyone claim anything as brand new when it's already been unlocked using a hack?
    Exactly what i was about to ask...i'd assume even a person who didn't understand jailbreaking fully would know that to perform a jailbreak, the phone actually has to be used...lol.

And OP, since you've isolated the problem to where it strictly happens when wall charging with that specific case, why not just get another case? Or charge it with no case on it? Seems like an extremely minor inconvenience for someone who has a lot of requirements they need to even use the iPhone in a basic sense (in your area).
    06-16-2011 08:10 AM

I don't think it being a replacement matters, it still carries the original warranty of the iPhone it replaced and is transferable.

The problem is that it's jailbroken/unlocked. Once they see that they will not even touch the iPhone. Apple also doesn't "fix" them they always just give you another one so you will lose your jailbreak/unlock in either case.
    Last edited by sting7k; 06-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    06-16-2011 09:07 AM
    All iPhone 4s are still under warrantee. My ex has a locked iPhone from Japan and he took it to the Apple store here in Canada and they fixed it for him.

I'd say before you do ANYTHING, especially a cell phone repair shop, try Apple.
    06-16-2011 10:12 AM
    ghostface147 and SeanHRCC: hahaha i meant brand new as in it was with the seal and everything... yes they had to jb it first of course to be able to be used so maybe i can say it's a 90% new phone instead then? and I have tried multiple cases and it's giving me the same problem.

ofcourse I know i must to do a full original restore so there won't be any traces of jb and unlock if I am going to take it to the apple store to have them check it

I don't mind the problem all that much actually, I am just concerned that if that will have any negative effect on my phone and if the fact that my phone is being shown as a replaced unit will bring me any trouble if i take it to the store.

I asked about the replacement or any exchange program is that now apple is selling unlocked phones and I was wondering if there is any programs that exists where I can just trade in my locked iphone for an unlocked one and I don't mind paying for a price as long as it's not the retail price or half of it.

I'll start by calling CS, thanks all. I will post an update to what they say.
    06-16-2011 12:56 PM
    Does it show any warranty term at all?
    06-16-2011 01:42 PM
    nope... after i enter the serial number of my device it just shows me a sentence in red that the device was replaced.

I spoke to CS and well... the person who I spoke to was really really nice about it. She also saw the replaced note but she didn't say anything about it and still assisted me with my questions. Turns out that she is suspecting that it may be a charger issue... that maybe the charger I got was defected or not the original so I will have to contact the guy who sold me the phone or I will just go ahead and buy a new one. Which ever is the case, I will update this thread with the results once I get a new charger in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
    06-16-2011 06:14 PM
    Did she give any indication on whether the phone was under warranty or had ever been warrantied? I mean even as a replacement phone, you'd still get some kind of warranty. I can't seem to find anything online that mirrors the issue you're having...
    06-16-2011 07:53 PM
    I think you're over-complicating the issue. The phone is under some kind of warranty from Apple, replacement or not. If you need to bring it to an Apple Store, then restore to factory and get it replaced.

No, Apple will not offer a trade in for you. If you don't like the phone you have and want a new one, you pay full price, period. Sell what you have on Ebay to defray the cost a bit, but that's your only option.
    06-16-2011 08:43 PM
    Did she give any indication on whether the phone was under warranty or had ever been warrantied? I mean even as a replacement phone, you'd still get some kind of warranty. I can't seem to find anything online that mirrors the issue you're having...
    yeah she has... sort of... she just mentioned that i don't have the 90 day complementary check and also mentioned that I can buy the apple care thing too... the guy who sold me the phone claims that it's still under warranty and he has the receipts and stuffs to prove it... so I just emailed him and asked him to figure out whats going on. CS was surprised to hear about my issue as well... she's never heard of it either... but we ran a diagnostic test on my phone and checked reports of accessories and what not and none of them indicates that it's the phone or the case... so she thought that the charger may be the problem.

I think you're over-complicating the issue. The phone is under some kind of warranty from Apple, replacement or not. If you need to bring it to an Apple Store, then restore to factory and get it replaced.

No, Apple will not offer a trade in for you. If you don't like the phone you have and want a new one, you pay full price, period. Sell what you have on Ebay to defray the cost a bit, but that's your only option.
    Yeah I pretty much realized all this today after I spoke to CS rep. I guess I over-complicated the issue because it's something that I have never encountered (and no one whom I've asked ever heard of either) so I wasn't sure if it's actually a hardware issue that is worth for my to send the phone back to the US (i currently live outside the US) and plus the whole the phone was shown as replaced just really confused me.
    I asked about trade in offers because there are certain companies where you bring in your device, they evaluate it's value, and you tell them what you want to trade it for and pay off the difference. But never the less i got your point... just wanted to point out the trade in thought in case anyone else wondered about such offer.
    06-17-2011 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD