Why no LED

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
not to mention it can only be seen when the device is face down, obviously. i don't know about you guys but i never put my phone face down. never

it could be a feature on the new phone, like bb and android phones have. this is just apples way of giving it to ip4 users

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
As some others have stated, I'd love having a front facing LED for notifications, that's one thing I miss greatly since switching from BB. i relied on it a lot at work since I have to keep my phone on vibrate and the vibrate isn't that strong on the Iphone 4 so I'm constantly having to check to see if I missed a call, e-mail or text.

They could easly put it near the front facing camera or near the proximity sensor.

OutSpoken

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Count me in for a front facing LED notification light too. Again, ex BB user, so its a feature I miss.

But I welcome the addition in iOS 5 even if its utilizing the rear LED on iPhone4, something better than nothing.

Can someone who is running the iOS 5 BETA on an iPhone4 tell me if the feature is enabled in the build, and if so how does it work?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Reading this thread I had this horrible mental image of an led under the bezel - you know the way you see lights around vehicle license plates? Every time the phone rings, the bezel blinks purple or green making it the perfect phone for my student population.

Bleh.

As adults who know we are dependent on our phones, we should be able to just look at it regularly to make sure we haven't missed something career changing.

Reactions: Caballera

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I certainly don't see the harm in having an LED notification. Especially if it could be disabled. Then everyone would be happy.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Reading this thread I had this horrible mental image of an led under the bezel - you know the way you see lights around vehicle license plates? Every time the phone rings, the bezel blinks purple or green making it the perfect phone for my student population.

Bleh.

As adults who know we are dependent on our phones, we should be able to just look at it regularly to make sure we haven't missed something career changing.

That makes no sense, I guess as adults we don't need all kinds of things.. A notification light would come in real handy for us adults who work in environments where we cannot access our phones constantly and need them.

Just because something isn't interesting to you, or anyone else doesn't mean Apple shouldn't add it. There were many people last year who hated the idea of a front facing camera, and went on and on about how it's "un-Apple like", and how they would never use it. Once Steve Jobs announced it they all changed their tune though.

There are so many more important things to worry about in this world whether or not someone might make their phone light up, I don't care one bit about what others do with their phones. If some people don't want to use a certain feature they don't have to, and the funny thing is iOS5 has a notification light, it's just on the back and way too bright for everyday use. So I don't see what the opposition is all about.

The iPhone 1, 2, 3, and 4 all still work for those apposed to change:p

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I miss the red blinking light. And how is it ugly? It's just a light under a clear plastic covering. Light please, you already swiped Android's notification system, now go for BB light.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am personally opposed to the flashing LED light. I do not think that it is needed, however, if it is added with a way to disable it, then i guess it doesn't matter if it's there or not. I prefer to use the Force, anyway!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of it. It doesn't convey any information, just whether or not there is a notification and possibly which type if the colour can change. That's it. I'd end up turning on the screen to see what it is, anyway, and I will always know there's a notification on my iPhone because I feel it vibrate. That tells me there's a notification, and I don't need a flashing LED to remind me. How is it saving any time if you're taking out your phone to look at the LED? Might as well just press the home button and see what's what.

Reactions: Caballera

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of it. It doesn't convey any information, just whether or not there is a notification and possibly which type if the colour can change. That's it. I'd end up turning on the screen to see what it is, anyway, and I will always know there's a notification on my iPhone because I feel it vibrate. That tells me there's a notification, and I don't need a flashing LED to remind me. How is it saving any time if you're taking out your phone to look at the LED? Might as well just press the home button and see what's what.

One thing I have noticed which I hate with the Iphone is if I get an email and didn't hear the tone there is no visual cue I have an unread email. I need to hit the power or home button and then swipe and unlock the screen to see if there is the little red number over my email icon. It would also be nice to make sure the phone is fully charged without having to leave it on or turn it on to see this very basic feature. A simple LED could take care of both of these little issues for me. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
That makes no sense, I guess as adults we don't need all kinds of things.. A notification light would come in real handy for us adults who work in environments where we cannot access our phones constantly and need them.

What's the point of a LED notification if you can't access your phone? If you can access your phone just check it more if it's that important to you.

Personally I find it annoying, specially when I have my phone in my room at night, one it's dark and the flashing light is annoying, two I don't want to be a slave to my phone. If it's that important to you they still sell Blackberry's, get them before they are gone.

Reactions: anon4705295

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of a LED notification if you can't access your phone? If you can access your phone just check it more if it's that important to you.

Personally I find it annoying, specially when I have my phone in my room at night, one it's dark and the flashing light is annoying, two I don't want to be a slave to my phone. If it's that important to you they still sell Blackberry's, get them before they are gone.

Not trying to argue here but just kind of wondering about your logic. If you don't want a blinking light to bother you at night and you don't want to be a slave to your phone...why would you have it on at night in your bedroom then?

To answer your question about access for some. I know in some workplaces they require phones to be silenced or put on vibrate. What made BB nice is you could silence the phone and leave it in your sight and when the LED started to blink you know you have a meassage.

There really is no down side to Apple giving us an LED especially if it can be disabled. What I think we have here, and it's what makes forums like this great, is just some back and fourth debating over a real non-issue. I mean for right now in my current life situation I have ZERO use for the forward facing camera. Only time I used it was when I got the phone to test it out. Other than that, never been turned on. Does that mean I think Apple should do away with it? Absolutley not. Next year I might have a need for it and boom it's there.

Reactions: redbeard

Cerberus2k7

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I really miss the LED I had on my BB. That is the only thing I miss...believe me.

I'm learning to live without. With my 9700 I will always glance at it and see if the red LED blinks and I have a habit to check anyways "just in case". One thing I did like about the Inspire was that you could change the color of the LED pending on what type of notification you wanted it tied to and I think that would be pretty sweet on an iPhone since you can pick what colors match up to what. :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
One thing I have noticed which I hate with the Iphone is if I get an email and didn't hear the tone there is no visual cue I have an unread email. I need to hit the power or home button and then swipe and unlock the screen to see if there is the little red number over my email icon. It would also be nice to make sure the phone is fully charged without having to leave it on or turn it on to see this very basic feature. A simple LED could take care of both of these little issues for me. Very annoying.

In iOS 5 emails are treated like SMS in terms of notifications. They're given the same priority, and you can see if you have an email on your lock screen. Problem solved.

@dsmith3427

But, if you have one and it's disabled, even if they hide it well, it will be dark dot that is visible in the bezel, especially on the white models... That would bother me to no end, even when the bezel is black I will still notice it and I will hate it. Just for argument's sake...

Last edited: