New to iPhone from Android

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Hiya,
I have now ordered my first iPhone, the 4, and have been on Android for the last 2 years and Blackberry before that. I love the intergration between Google/Gmail/Android, ok so it's a given that it would be good.

I was hoping there would be some people on here that would know the best way for me to set up my iPhone4 to make the transistion easier, any apps that are recommended for easy intergration between gmail/calander/contacts etc

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being around here from now on.
Lee

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hiya,
I have now ordered my first iPhone, the 4, and have been on Android for the last 2 years and Blackberry before that. I love the intergration between Google/Gmail/Android, ok so it's a given that it would be good.

I was hoping there would be some people on here that would know the best way for me to set up my iPhone4 to make the transistion easier, any apps that are recommended for easy intergration between gmail/calander/contacts etc

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being around here from now on.
Lee

First of all, welcome to the iPhone side :) If this is your first time using iOS, I suggest spending a few weeks getting to know the overall UI, setting and navigating through the native apps. If you are already familiar with the operating system, however, jailbreaking your iPhone will be your best bet. I would personally suggest trying out LockInfo for notifications, SBSettings for well... faster access to settings and BiteSMS for those quick replies in any application. If you intend to stay on stock software, may I suggest trying out Pushmail (~$5.00) for your email needs? This app is ideal for users of Gmail and other forms of webmail. Boxcar is also great for those Twitter, email, Facebook, etc. notifications if you're not JB. Now if you're really daring, you can also try installing the iOS 5 beta, but you would need to sign up for a dev account prior to that (~$99). Despite the "beta", iOS 5 has personally been my daily driver with the notifications center and other awesome features already built in.

So those are your options... enjoy your new iPhone! Please feel free to post if more questions arise :)

Reactions: coggster

vzwtech07

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would use the google sync settings for your google email, calendar and contacts keeps everything in sync like you were on a exchange server. I tried to jailbreak but ended up goning back to stock firmwear

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You might also want to peruse the forums, and perhaps search for all the other threads from former Android users to see what advice they got when asking the same question.

jnewell

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I still go back and forth (Fascinate, Droid X). Download the Google app. Also, as an alternative, set up gmail as an account in the iOS mail app. The Google integration is not as good with iOS but it's quite usable. The thing I actually miss most is the alternative keyboards, especially SwiftKey, and btw/fwiw the spell checker in iOS is totally useless. :D There's a lot to like about the iP4 and mine gets most of the pocket time these days.

Cerberus2k7

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Set up your gmail via exchange.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Add Account>MS Exchange> Then put in your email, the username will be your full email and then your password. Hit next and it will fail(at least for me.) but it will give you the Server box now. Put in m.google.com and then hit next and you should be good to go.

Also if you use FB for contact sync you can do that as well via the FB app.

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
First of all, welcome to the iPhone side :) If this is your first time using iOS, I suggest spending a few weeks getting to know the overall UI, setting and navigating through the native apps. If you are already familiar with the operating system, however, jailbreaking your iPhone will be your best bet. I would personally suggest trying out LockInfo for notifications, SBSettings for well... faster access to settings and BiteSMS for those quick replies in any application. If you intend to stay on stock software, may I suggest trying out Pushmail (~$5.00) for your email needs? This app is ideal for users of Gmail and other forms of webmail. Boxcar is also great for those Twitter, email, Facebook, etc. notifications if you're not JB. Now if you're really daring, you can also try installing the iOS 5 beta, but you would need to sign up for a dev account prior to that (~$99). Despite the "beta", iOS 5 has personally been my daily driver with the notifications center and other awesome features already built in.

So those are your options... enjoy your new iPhone! Please feel free to post if more questions arise :)

Thank you for this! I will most likely jailbreak but intend to get accustomed to the OS first. I rooted my Android and never looked back so figure my iPhone won't last long unjailbroken! A useful choice of apps for what I may end up doing. Also thanks for the welcome and see you around the forums..

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I would use the google sync settings for your google email, calendar and contacts keeps everything in sync like you were on a exchange server. I tried to jailbreak but ended up goning back to stock firmwear

Thank you. I will certainly try this method whilst I get used to the OS and everything the iPhone can, or can't do, as standard firmware.

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
You might also want to peruse the forums, and perhaps search for all the other threads from former Android users to see what advice they got when asking the same question.

I have read some of the other posts I found but I do find it worth asking again as different people, who have different opinions, end up reading different posts. Not to mention there may be newer apps or versions which make the choice different. Thanks for the heads up there are similar posts out there already though.

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Set up your gmail via exchange.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Add Account>MS Exchange> Then put in your email, the username will be your full email and then your password. Hit next and it will fail(at least for me.) but it will give you the Server box now. Put in m.google.com and then hit next and you should be good to go.

Also if you use FB for contact sync you can do that as well via the FB app.

Thank you for the exchange option. Also the whole FB route is worth going with as who doesn't use that?!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro