Thinking of converting to iPhone

Milkshake!

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!

This is my first ever post, so be nice lol!!!

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2, my first ever Android and my first ever smartphone.

My God, did it give me problems with BATTERY LIFE!

So, I finally got rid of my SGS2 the other day, after a whole month of trying all sorts but still miserably failing to get the battery to at least last from morning till night with moderate usage. Is that much to ask?

I tried rooting and freezing pre-installed crap, flashing new ROMS, calibrating my battery, factory reset...you name it, i tried it. As a complete noob, i had to frantically learn all those things from scratch via XDA...do i really have to go through all that ****?

I then realised, I simply cannot put up with bull**** from something i have paid over ?400 for because it became obvious the battery life was never going to improve; and flashing ROMs and hacking into my phone is not a new hobby i had ever planned to take up!

I know there are people out there who have no battery issues with the SGS2, so lucky you. However, there is certainly a significant problem which is why if you Google it you'll find battery drain is the HOTTEST topic on all SGS2 discussions. In fact, cnet Australia have bravely highlighted this problem; just Google 'cnet Australia Samsung Galaxy S II' to read their review.

I don't know whether this is common with Android but even before i purchased the device my cousin who owns an iPhone 4 told me how buggy Android is and he warned me of problems ahead; from my own experience it seems he is totally right, and it was quite embarrassing to hear him say to my face the other day, "I told you!".

Hence, i am for the first time considering purchasing the iPhone 5 when it comes out, realising first hand how all these amazing extra features Android has are futile if they cannot be fine-tuned into an OS to work effectively and efficiently in a comprehensive way.

Don't mean to offend any Android/Samsung fan-boys, but this is just my own experience. I have no allegiance to Apple or Android, my only alliance is towards a a decent product that works without giving me problems i cannot tolerate.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have owned android devices in the past and have come back to the iPhone 4 ... I love the iPhone and don't think I will be switching to any other platform. The iPhone 4 is fantastic and I can only imagine what the iPhone 5 will be like. I think that you are making the right choice as I have noticed that my battery has always been superior on the iPhone vs any Android device that I have owned.

Reactions: Milkshake!

bry360

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is determined by your usage. Not so much by the phone, but that can always play a factor in there if it comes with a bad battery. I love my iPhone4, but I use it so much that it just KILLS my battery. But I had the same problem with my Blackberry. Smartphones are battery killers plain and simple. We demand all these features when all they do is kill our battery. I'm not complaining, just saying why complain about battery life when it's mostly our fault. :p

Last edited:

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I have access to a charger or a backup battery so I don't have a problem. My battery for the most party lasts all day unless I'm in an intense game of words with friends all day haha. iPhone and iOS FTW!

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I also agree. Battery life is a huge issue. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and I am running out of batteries before the full day is over. I am sick and tired of it. I keep the Bluetooth, GPS, and wifi off when it is not in use. I try to kill all the tasks that I am not using, but it still does not increase my battery life.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Running custom ROMs and rooting is a sure fire way to make the battery life even worse. Similar things can happen if you jailbreak your iPhone and start mucking around with it.

But I from what I've seen of my friends who have Android phones battery life is a common complaint, especially from those who just had to have the Thunderbolt.

It also comes down to the actual OS and how each operates. All those widgets that everyone clamors for and backgrounding apps are killing your battery. Maybe Google never tried out WinMo6 but that is what happened to my old WinMo devices and Google decided to just repeat it.

That said, it isn't just that the iPhone 4 has a great battery but the OS is setup as such to maximize it. When you start background audio and the few background things you can do the battery does take a noticeable hit but it does not crush it like Android does to batteries. With push notifications being run on Apple's end and not on the phone that further takes strain off the battery and needing to have a dozen or so apps all waiting for notifications; you just have one connection to Apple for everything.

Apple has the entire package geared to getting the absolute most out of everything crammed into the tiny body of the iPhone 4. IMO that's what sets it apart from Android. Not the hardware or anything one thing alone, but the entire package you get is well rounded and (I even hate to say this) it just works.

I leave everything on (WiFi, GPS, 3G, notifications) 24/7 and my iPhone easily lasts the day. In fact yesterday I didn't charge it over night and this morning at work when I put it in the audio dock it still had 25% left with 9 hours of usage, I had charged it up the night before.

Last edited:

coggster

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S and have just ordered my first iPhone 4. I did manage to have the Android last almost a day when I used Darky's ROM but the amount of careful usage, flashing, battery calibration etc that was required took the fun out of owning the actual phone. Now it isn't that I expect the iPhone to be much better but at least it will be just the one device I am charging as I won't need to take my iPod everywhere with me!

I think the best battery life I have ever got was with Blackberry. Plus they use the least amount of data but the OS is just terrible and they loose out greatly by not working on the OS like everyone else has/is.

Let us know how it goes when/if you make the switch.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to say that for sure you'll be happy because like everyone here has said battery life changes from person to person. However I did have an Android phone for a month and I didn't like the battery life at all. You sort of get the feeling since some of their apps are roughly put together that who know what the coding is doing to your phone. It may still be using the cpu after you've already closed it etc. Anyway I would say search on here and see some of the things that people have done to make their battery life last a little longer and be sure to post up after you get it. I'd love to know what you think about the difference between the two since it was unbearable on Android. When you do get it be sure to update iTunes to the latest and update the phone to the latest firmware.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Android phones can run perfectly fine if they are configured properly, but they do lack in the battery department (depending on what model you have, i have a galaxy S as a work phone and hate it, honestly wish i had kept my BB curve i had before trading it in for this thing). I've seen them running great, with some really cool features i hope iPhone integrates one day, but i still prefer my little iP4 all day long to that thing...

I think you'll enjoy the simplicity of the iPhone combined with the battery life...you wont regret the conversion.

tombubi

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
i think battery life issue is with all the smartphones. It does depend on how you use it. I have owned both android and ios devices, I do find ios better for myself. I think you will like it as well.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on the horrible battery life of Android. You know it's a problem when there are dedicated forums with hundreds of threads related to battery life. My wife had a Samsung Epic and it was beyond bad. My kids would play Angry Birds on it and it would barely make it more than an hour. The iPhone is so much better it's ridiculous. The smartphone champ of battery life for me though was the original BlackBerry Curve 8330. Unreal battery life for a smartphone.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 and have to say that the iPhone 4 has a lot better battery life. I use the iPhone 4 a lot more also as I love the retina display. I have an Android phone for work and most of the time i leave it uncharged on my desk.

Milkshake!

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies, they are very helpful :)

I know, smartphones in general really don't have a battery life like our Nokia from back in the day, but the Samsung Galaxy S2 really has a problem beyond the normal expectations; and in my search online to resolve this, i found that this Android in general has some serious battery issues they need to resolve since this is by far the most common topic on every Android forum.

Anyway, i will post my feedback when i do get the iPhone 5! It's a wait, but i got to be patient. I don't see why i should buy an iPhone 4 now!

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You wont regret it at all, I just came from a BB Torch I will not be heading back to RIM any time soon. The only thing I liked about the Torch was its battery life and I am finding the iphone 4 has better battery life.

macjacky11

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I own an Android phone myself, and I just bought iPad2 two months ago. After experiencing both systems, I would say I cant wait for the next iPhone to come out and change to it.!

paul100

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I am also used Samsung Galaxy S2 except battery life features are good. now i am using iphone 4 its features also good also battery life is better than other smart phones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2