Votes: 8 15.4%
  • who cares

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
what are the chances of us getting this with iOS5 or with the release of a new phone? i know it can be done. i dont use it often but there are time where im annoyed when i do need it. thoughts??? how many other people want it?

seinman#IM

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I see you're on Verizon, which means that it actually can't be done. Verizon's network doesn't work that way. No updates to the OS can change that. LTE allows simultaneous voice and data, but who knows how long it'll be until there's an LTE iPhone.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually the HTC Thunderbolt can do this on VZW's network on 3G. I think it has a different 3G antenna structure that allows it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually the HTC Thunderbolt can do this on VZW's network on 3G. I think it has a different 3G antenna structure that allows it.
There is a revision to the EVDO specs that allows for 3G simul voice & data, but the phones have to support it as well as the cell sites - the Thunderbolt is the only VZW phone that can do it, and only on sites where they enabled it - they're putting most of their efforts into 4G deployment rather than updating 3G... and in some locations, they are deploying 3G where is was not available before - VZW filled in a 4G coverage hole along I-35 near the IA/MN border recently - but that was in the works when VZW bought out Alltel.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I see you're on Verizon, which means that it actually can't be done. Verizon's network doesn't work that way. No updates to the OS can change that. LTE allows simultaneous voice and data, but who knows how long it'll be until there's an LTE iPhone.

i read somewhere a while back that verizon can do it, they are just reluctant to

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Having an AT&T iPhone for a while I did get use to having the feature, especially when on hold with customer service and waiting for my call to get answered.

However, I would not want this feature added if it would cause dropped calls. It's a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Having an AT&T iPhone for a while I did get use to having the feature, especially when on hold with customer service and waiting for my call to get answered.

However, I would not want this feature added if it would cause dropped calls. It's a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me.

You all are bagging on AT&T and dropped calls... I guess I'd be upset, too... but I've been with AT&T since 2001 and have probably only dropped a dozen calls the whole time. It's not AT&T as much as WHERE you are located... my son's VZW iPhone drops more calls than I do...

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Exactly why this feature doesn't matter to me because it wouldn't be possible for me to use AT&T at all, they have 0 coverage in the town where I reside let alone my home.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You all are bagging on AT&T and dropped calls... I guess I'd be upset, too... but I've been with AT&T since 2001 and have probably only dropped a dozen calls the whole time. It's not AT&T as much as WHERE you are located... my son's VZW iPhone drops more calls than I do...

Exactly! It all comes down to the coverage in your area. The equipment you have is really only as good as the network available to you at the time.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have actually wanted to use data and voice simultaneously maybe once in the entire time I've had a smartphone, so it doesn't really matter to me. I almost always have a computer nearby, so if I really need to do something, I can use that. Otherwise, might I recommend a longer attention span?

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
touche.... how does it feel dropping calls every 10 minutes

I've been an AT&T customer for quite a number of years, and have never dropped a call except in rural areas where all carrier signals are weak. In fact, if I had to estimate the number of dropped calls I've experienced over the past 3 year window, excluding those weaker signal areas where all my VZW folks drop too (and Sprint has zero service), I'd say... 5? That's more like one every 5256 hours as opposed to your fictional 1 "every 10 minutes".

No need to say anything esle. You covered it there.

I have actually wanted to use data and voice simultaneously maybe once in the entire time I've had a smartphone, so it doesn't really matter to me. I almost always have a computer nearby, so if I really need to do something, I can use that. Otherwise, might I recommend a longer attention span?

It's actually handy once in a while, like when my wife calls and says "Hon, what's the address to..." I ask her to hang on a mo, google away, and answer. Worked in finding quick movie times/locations last night too when my daughter surprised me with actually *WANTING* (gasp goes here) to hang out with her old man for a bit. Nothing at all to do with attention span in either case, but rather a nice convenience... a few occasions like that a month make that feature into something to be desired, IMO.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's actually handy once in a while, like when my wife calls and says "Hon, what's the address to..." I ask her to hang on a mo, google away, and answer. Worked in finding quick movie times/locations last night too when my daughter surprised me with actually *WANTING* (gasp goes here) to hang out with her old man for a bit. Nothing at all to do with attention span in either case, but rather a nice convenience... a few occasions like that a month make that feature into something to be desired, IMO.

You'll never convince the VZW apologist crew... they've been infected with sour grape syndrome... so they have to bash AT&T on something - even if it is something that neither you (apparently) nor I experience... no dropped calls for me.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been an AT&T customer for quite a number of years, and have never dropped a call except in rural areas where all carrier signals are weak. In fact, if I had to estimate the number of dropped calls I've experienced over the past 3 year window, excluding those weaker signal areas where all my VZW folks drop too (and Sprint has zero service), I'd say... 5? That's more like one every 5256 hours as opposed to your fictional 1 "every 10 minutes".

No need to say anything esle. You covered it there.

i had att for 2 years. both iphone 3g & 3gs. i was legit dropping calls about 45% of the time. and i wasn't in the sticks either. i had Verizon before att but the lure of the iphone dragged me in. now that i am back on the ip4, went back to the same areas i was having issues with att and there is no issue using Verizon. i know every one on every carrier on every phone will have various results. as for the every 10 minutes thing it was sarcasm :)

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You'll never convince the VZW apologist crew... they've been infected with sour grape syndrome... so they have to bash AT&T on something - even if it is something that neither you (apparently) nor I experience... no dropped calls for me.

I'm not part of the "VZW apologist crew". I merely said it didn't really affect me and what I said about the longer attention span was a joke, I apologize if I didn't make that clear enough.

And if you despise us so much, why are you in the Verizon iPhone 4 section? Imagine that, VZW customers posting here, who would have thought...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Chill dude. I wasn't attacking you... didn't make any reference to you... I'm just tired of the AT&T bashing... none of the carriers are perfect and none have perfect coverage everywhere you want to go.

As far as despising anyone - again, not me... just because something works for one person and not another doesn't mean it's not a good or usable service. It is what it is.

Why am I "here" in the VZW iPhone4 section? Curiosity. And the realization that just because it's not my service provider, there still may be something of value here for all of us. I didn't see any "AT&T Customers Keep Out" sign on the door.

SMH

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
@Phil Delong - ALL in good humor, bro. The attention span comment actually made me chuckle!

For the record, you guys deserve simultaneous voice and data too, so I hope it comes soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73