How could Apple make iOS 5 better?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know we got alot in iOS 5 but I'm wondering for anyone using it how do you think some of the features could be improved even further?

I think the Notification system although better is still not what it could be. In BiteSMS the message overlays whatever you're in and you can close it and go back to it later. In the new notification system it still takes you out of whatever you're in to the message app then you have to switch back. It could be as quick as it wants the fact that it transitions out of your app, game, whatever is crappy. It could be improved by overlaying the message like BiteSMS or even if it automatically switches back to the previous app, game whatever when you've sent the message that could help as a bandaid solution.

YoungChrisG#IM

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-4-forum/214288-apple-use-my-idea-kill-sbsettings-please.html

^ my concept for notification center widget expansion..

Also, an innovative quickreply system and liveclock/weathericon functionality.

I agree with this. The only thing I would want to add would be calendar support in the "info shade". Maybe like the next three to four entries. And I read somewhere that there is a customizable dictionary, so those widgets and that dictionary and I will for sure be running pure.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
one of my wishes is a Vector based maps. I use maps a lot on android and if I were to make the switch (Serously thinking of it) I'd love to have some of the functionality be on iOS. I'm not entirly sure how maps work on the iPhone today but I'd love to be able to twist a map around. Tap on a business name and get information about that business. Use multi touch and drag two or three fingers down and get a 3D map view where the map would turn in to birds eye. You can be in major cities and see the buldings pop up.

google-maps-5-1.jpg

Sure it may be a bit gimmicky but its a really neat feature and would improve maps a lot. That, along with turn by turn directions. Pretty much i'd like to see Google bulid a maps app for iOS and that way we can get timely updates though out the year.

Another feature is have more apps stored in folders. Being able to also have a Horzantal scrolling in folders even.

YoungChrisG#IM

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
one of my wishes is a Vector based maps. I use maps a lot on android and if I were to make the switch (Serously thinking of it) I'd love to have some of the functionality be on iOS. I'm not entirly sure how maps work on the iPhone today but I'd love to be able to twist a map around. Tap on a business name and get information about that business. Use multi touch and drag two or three fingers down and get a 3D map view where the map would turn in to birds eye. You can be in major cities and see the buldings pop up.

Sure it may be a bit gimmicky but its a really neat feature and would improve maps a lot. That, along with turn by turn directions. Pretty much i'd like to see Google bulid a maps app for iOS and that way we can get timely updates though out the year.

Another feature is have more apps stored in folders. Being able to also have a Horzantal scrolling in folders even.
A FREE dedicated nav app is something I GREATLY miss about Android! I don't expect to ever see that on iOS unfortunatly though.

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
Besides the obvious request for custom SMS/notification tones, I hope that iOS 5 includes full voice integration, including speak-to-text functionality.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
They should have an easier way to copy web addresses, it's tedious sometimes to drag those little handles. If the OS knows your in the browser you should get Copy URL when you double tap or long press, which highlights the whole thing and copies it for you. So it becomes a one click process.

Mail needs a cache, so if you're at home on Wifi and your device pulls in new messages why do you have to reload the message when you head out without checking it? It should cache it so you can read them while Mail checks for new messages. If there's no connection atleast you'll be able to read a few new emails.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah tabbed browsing is sweet as well as opening a clicked link in a new tab. However again halfway implimentation, they need to impliment a homepage. They can use the same method as JB app "Homepage in Safari" or have you set the site in Settings under General.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully tabs in Safari will have the option to open in the background. Some implementation of bridging would be amazing, now that I've seen it on WebOS and BBOS7 w/ QNX I want to see it on all devices. This is especially true for iOS because of how much the ecosystem of iOS is touted.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ipheuria
iOS already does copy links, as long as they are hyperlinks and not just text. There's no way for the OS to distinguish if the text is not made a hyperlink.

Last edited:

YoungChrisG#IM

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I think it should have a way to cut, copy and paste phone numbers from safari and SMS. Also selective cut copy and paste from SMS.
I would also like to see the jailbreak tweak PhoneHint a native function so you can type the first few numbers that corresponds with the letters in someone's name in the dialer to search for a number in your contacts.

baharharre

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
After having brief look at beta version I think Apple has done the job. People were waiting for notification in iphone and iOS 5 brings the same. As its beta version many improvements and new functions will be included in final product of iOS 5 so just wait and see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods