Now mind you I would wait for the 5 but that's not in the cards for me. I currently have the HTC Inspire 4g(within the 30day return period) and while I enjoy it, it feels cheap in terms of apps and the OS. Yes I'm rooted and have used CM7.0.2(and 3), as well as MiUi, LeeDrOiD, and I'm currently using the ReMiX HD Sense ROM. CM7 - apps would randomly crash but worked pretty well. MiUi SMS would crash every time I received a text message but I had no app issues, LeeDrOiD would work until you rebooted; then Android.Core could crash then enter a reboot loop. The ReMiX HD right now is running perfectly. No app issues, no weird crashes and somewhat decent battery life.(about 10% once the day is over) with a lot of texting/emailing, web browsing, gaming, and RDP.

While people make the argument that Android has the widgets, I honestly don't use them that much because half the time when I check I have to manually update since the widget in question hasn't updated for 45 mins and I end up launching the app independently anyways. So for me the way I currently use it, it just takes up real estate and when you actually want to access your full app list, it's just a huge list in alphabetical order. Yes you can add folders to the home screens but they look like complete *** and I've used folder organizer(which is the app that kept crashing) but you pretty much had to go through a very drawn out process just to get applications in the damn thing. In the end, I've spent more time tweaking, fixing, tweaking, finding a program/add on to do what I want that's then unstable, fixing some more, tweaking, then wiping the entire thing out and starting over than I have using it in an entertaining way.

Just wondering how many of you have either gone to Android and come back(or went to Android then jumped to iOS). My main field is IT so I do like to monitor systems, RDP, and whatnot which is why i thought Android would be perfect(although I had a 3Gs as well as a Bold 9700), but I really loved how the iPhone just worked. And to be honest I love how the 4 looks. The Inspire looks like it was slapped together.

Sorry, wall-o-txt and a rant but I'm just trying to figure stuff out. And I know this place will be bias with Apple but I'm just trying to see what the IT/power users think on the subject.
    06-08-2011 11:17 PM
    Anyone? Mainly IT/SysAdmins. :o
    06-09-2011 07:15 PM
    I'm an EVO owner and while I love the advanced features, menu button with the menu options and advanced sharing I can not stand the apps. The market was susposto be updated to find apps more easy but I have yet to received the update. Besides that I like what I described above. I like how I can add my Facebook contacts and have them in my address book. The main thing is the lack of apps and the fact they do crash at times or are incomplete or don't have a very polished UI. I'm thinking of making the switch. I'm just getting sick of all this fanboysim from both sides and the constant 3 year old bickering over what platform is better. Both have their good and bad sides.

I mean if I could get the iPhone in a 4.3" screen with androids social media, advanced sharing and hold for more options I'd be a happy camper.
    06-10-2011 05:29 AM
    i have used many android devices including the inspire and infuse but i always return to my iphone 4 as my daily phone!, yes flash is nice but the amount of mobile browsing i do is minimal since it is only on a train or plane for travel other times its to look something up while im out i never sit on the couch and browse the web on my phone i have a laptop for that. Maybe in bed sometimes before going to sleep.

Android has a lot of features and functions which many are nice i never bothered much with widgets because they kill battery if they update more than an hour id only use weather and calendar, everything else if im going to bother looking at a twitter widget i can afford to open the app. Dont get me wrong i love the OS! but the manufacturer skins, and slow updates hurt the experience as well as the poor quality apps there are some good ones but they are not plentiful and just seem to lack the polish of ios apps.

i love vanilla android as an OS but until there are better apps and the ui skins disappear i am an ios user for life because when i pull my phone out it needs to work always!
    06-10-2011 09:05 AM
    yeah, the apps UI just seems off and the touch screen kinda seems dull. Kinda weird to explain it. And I can load Metasploit on the iPhone. I'm just kinda torn since I would want the 32gb model which would be $200 after it's all said and done most likely since the memory isn't expandable, although I could use the Amazon mp3 cloud player/google music(If I get a damn invite). Just annoying since I would have to set my phone back to stock and I'm wondering what network/pen testing apps I *could* be missing.
    06-10-2011 06:31 PM
    I've had lots and lots of phone and always end up back at the iPhone.
    06-11-2011 12:05 PM
    I guess that's me.

I went from a Droid X to iPhone and iPad where a business app drove a lot of it but I'm happy in general.

What I miss:
    -customization (not that much)
    -great free navigation
    -widgets and shell tweaks
    -Google Sky Map
    -a few apps for music
    -not being chained to iTunes
    -keypad fast dial vs. screen of favorites
    -speech to text
    -3rd party keyboard apps

What I like:
    -how do you do a battery pull with an iPhone
    -always fast
    -has USB tether as well as hotspot which is great for me as a network engineer
    -mature app market
    -iPod from locked screen
    -mic activation of media and calls from headphones
    -better battery life if you're using location services
    -quality of voice calls
    -rock solid whole device backup
    -same apps with tablet and superior tablet app environment

It looks like the next OS rev will bring me some features I liked when I had Android and Blackberry.

The iTunes interface can get to me. C'mon Apple, this isn't 1993. Android store multi-tabbed browsing of apps and cloud management of your purchases is nice but note my comment on backup - there was no fast got it all back as was backup option among a few I tried with Android.

For me tool is more important than toy so alternate shells (launchers) and fooling with the look get old fast. Yeah, I went to a smaller screen but the quality is great with the iPhone.

I can't say what's right for you but I had the iPhone, Android (X) and Blackberry (Storm) at same time for a while. There was no guilt or sadness the day I sold them even though the iPhone isn't perfect and I'm not spending any time thinking about or looking at what I might want next.
    06-11-2011 02:04 PM
    I went from a 9700 to IP4. I compared the galaxy s at that time wiht ip4 but went ahead with it. Without jb i find ip4 to be not very useful for me at this point and i find after jb its perfect.

I use RDP, VNC and vpn to various networks and can monitor servers and/or intranet apps/devices.

There are also some cisco apps also available.

One thing i love about ip4 is that it just works... jb seems very risky to some but its nothing literally takes < and hour or so to do and its fantastic.

Email calendar and contacts are also very important to me and i have had zero issues... infact over the weekend i rarely use my computer and just use my ip4 for almost everything.
    06-11-2011 03:01 PM
    I went from a 9700 to IP4. I compared the galaxy s at that time wiht ip4 but went ahead with it. Without jb i find ip4 to be not very useful for me at this point and i find after jb its perfect.

I use RDP, VNC and vpn to various networks and can monitor servers and/or intranet apps/devices.

There are also some cisco apps also available.

One thing i love about ip4 is that it just works... jb seems very risky to some but its nothing literally takes < and hour or so to do and its fantastic.

Email calendar and contacts are also very important to me and i have had zero issues... infact over the weekend i rarely use my computer and just use my ip4 for almost everything.
    What Cisco apps are there? I've had a 3Gs(Horrid battery life) and then had a 9700 which I really loved but then I started to run into memory issues once I upgrade to OS6 due to running multiple connections. The Inspire is nice in due to the fact that they have apps like port knocker, port scanner, ssh tunnel, and terminal. But I'm pretty confident that iOS has similar applications.
    06-11-2011 10:26 PM
    What Cisco apps are there? I've had a 3Gs(Horrid battery life) and then had a 9700 which I really loved but then I started to run into memory issues once I upgrade to OS6 due to running multiple connections. The Inspire is nice in due to the fact that they have apps like port knocker, port scanner, ssh tunnel, and terminal. But I'm pretty confident that iOS has similar applications.
    I found to be honest that apple ip4 is not a ToysRus toy i assumed it to be... it has a complex fs and the underlying os is fantastic and you can run and do lot many things (after jb) that make this practically a "computer".

I have a Network and Port scanner all in one app... I have not used a telnet/ssh/terminal app yet but there are apps for it. RDP and VNC does almost everything i need e.g i can vpn through back to the office and log on to any server/computer and use builtin tools.

I also love the fact vpn works fantastically in a sense that i can vpn in and use the windows share to access files remotely (this has saved me a few times).

As for Cisco apps... I havn't used any but just by looking at them there is Cisco Anyconnect, Cisco mobil, Cisco SIO...

I have a few servers all over that i can connect to from the road or airports and solve any issues quickly and on the fly.
    06-12-2011 12:49 AM
    I did the Android dance for a while, thinking I would be able to get more out of it than I did. I even attempted to write some of my own stuff for it. What I found was that it was too unstable for my daily use.

What I found was that my iPhone did everything I wanted it to do, and did it well, while still remaining stable and functional. It doesn't crash, and it doesnt keep dropping my calls!

And, if you are working in a Cisco environment, the tools they release are pretty robust. I used Anyconnect and SIO To Go pretty frequently.

Don't get me wrong, Android has lots of potential, and for the general user isnt bad. My wife loves the Inspire. It does what she needs, and its fun for her. I'm even thinking of getting an Atrix to do some dev work, but it will never be my primary device.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    06-12-2011 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and picked up a black 32gb 4 and so far I'm loving it. It's simple and it works. Only real downside is iTunes and since I run linux on my laptop I have to sync it to my HTPC. Not a huge issue since I use my HTPC to stream to my laptop anyways for music, but if I go anywhere with my laptop I'm pretty much stuck unless I want to use a VM.
    06-12-2011 07:39 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and picked up a black 32gb 4 and so far I'm loving it. It's simple and it works. Only real downside is iTunes and since I run linux on my laptop I have to sync it to my HTPC. Not a huge issue since I use my HTPC to stream to my laptop anyways for music, but if I go anywhere with my laptop I'm pretty much stuck unless I want to use a VM.
    well you only need itunes for calendar/contacts sync (if you use non exchange for cal/con) and device backup.

So technically you don't need to plug it in at all.. i plug mine in once a month if that.
    06-12-2011 11:14 PM
    Surprisingly enough, my iPhone has started to pull my calendar data from my Gmail account as of late. It's always done the contacts, but one day last week the calendar just showed up.
    06-13-2011 07:33 AM
    Surprisingly enough, my iPhone has started to pull my calendar data from my Gmail account as of late. It's always done the contacts, but one day last week the calendar just showed up.
    I set mine up to pull my contacts/cal through gmail via exchange and have it pull the pics off FB since that was one of the main features I loved on Android. Although google doesn't exactly like to sync ALL of your data so I'm missing maybe 15% of my contacts. -_-
    06-13-2011 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD