Verizon users screwed again

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
And you have missed my point... that no matter what Apple or anyone else calls them, they are different. And because they are different, it may well be IMPOSSIBLE for them to "treat them as the same".

Yet they're both to get iOS5? And I think I'm right in assuming that they're not going to take away the features of 4.3 from iOS5... so why can't they release these features to VZW users now if they can do it in iOS5? That just doesn't make sense.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yet they're both to get iOS5? And I think I'm right in assuming that they're not going to take away the features of 4.3 from iOS5... so why can't they release these features to VZW users now if they can do it in iOS5? That just doesn't make sense.

When Apple upgrades a OS from for example 4.2 to 4.3, they build the software from the ground up. Thats why it goes to developer beta all over again. With only one carrier running a CDMA OS, maybe Apple decided just for CDMA to wait until OS 5 for a update.

There is not fact to this but just my opinion.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
When Apple upgrades a OS from for example 4.2 to 4.3, they build the software from the ground up. Thats why it goes to developer beta all over again. With only one carrier running a CDMA OS, maybe Apple decided just for CDMA to wait until OS 5 for a update.

There is not fact to this but just my opinion.

Now that I could understand, and it makes sense. It would just be more satisfying if Apple didn't leave us completely in the dark as to why, haha. I could easily wait if we just had an answer :(

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
These are phones and personal information devices. Right? Ask our AT&T iPhone users who frequently have to step out of buldings, can't use data well, have low band width mess up Exchange sync, sometimes have to find a land line to do a conf call who feels they're screwed.

In all fairness divide things between tool and toy. Most I work and associate with value tool over toy and our Verizon iPhone users are more satisfied with phone calls and having data work at decent speeds.

I was called to a board meeting at a hotel Monday and turning on my Verizon hotspot was the solution for AT&T users who needed good access to their calendars while somebody was getting the authentication for the hotel's wifi in that room.

I am sure I will appreciate new features when they're live but not as much as a more reliable network and a company that does a better job of supporting our hundreds of phone users.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
... I am sure I will appreciate new features when they're live but not as much as a more reliable network and a company that does a better job of supporting our hundreds of phone users.

I'm looking forward to the new features as well. At the end of the day, it's a phone. Of course, I have a good number of games (that my kids play more than I do), but I really only care about being able to make calls on a strong network. Everything else is gravy.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It could be worse.

I'd rather make phone calls and actually see some value in my $30/month data plan (AT&T, I'm looking at you) than have a iPod touch made of glass with the latest OS update. Sure we are missing some features, but the phone works. If you had the fantastically horrible AT&T service on my 3GS, you'd be happy with your iPhone on Verizon now.

You could go over to Android where you just don't even know if you will be getting the next big OS upgrade. Gingerbread? Some users are still waiting for Froyo! Imagine if WWDC concluded with Jobs saying, "iOS 5 will be available in the fall for certain handsets." And in the fall, it is announced that it will be only on the upcoming iPhone 5. A few months after the iP5 release, it only goes out to AT&T iPhone 4 users, but they only release 5,000 updates on day one, 10,000 updates on day 2 and so on. Then 1/2yr later, 3GS users go through the same thing. And a year later, people are talking about iOS 6 and you're still running iOS 4 on your ViP. Then as iOS 6 is about to be released, you get iOS 5 and it bogs your phone down. How'd you feel then?

wamadden4

May 10, 2011
Visit site
You are too broke to own an iPhone....

It's been repeatedly stated that betas aren't the most stable ever and can tank your device. Plus I don't have a hundred bucks lying around (I saved up for my iPhone for almost a year). The issue is that we STILL don't have 4.3 after all of this time :mad: ugh. I am saving up so that I can get a more stable beta, but I don't want to ruin my phone by putting it on it yet.

You should have just gotten a cheap dumb phone because if you dont have a hundred bucks lying around, the iPhone isnt for you.... not the best financial decision... LOL

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You should have just gotten a cheap dumb phone because if you dont have a hundred bucks lying around, the iPhone isnt for you.... not the best financial decision... LOL

LOL... Not.
Just because someone isn't made of money in this craptastic economy doesn't mean they can't save up to afford a nice phone. I don't see how not having $100 to blow on a beta means I shouldn't have an iPhone... Please, elaborate. Thanks.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It could be worse.

I'd rather make phone calls and actually see some value in my $30/month data plan (AT&T, I'm looking at you) than have a iPod touch made of glass with the latest OS update. Sure we are missing some features, but the phone works. If you had the fantastically horrible AT&T service on my 3GS, you'd be happy with your iPhone on Verizon now.

You could go over to Android where you just don't even know if you will be getting the next big OS upgrade. Gingerbread? Some users are still waiting for Froyo! Imagine if WWDC concluded with Jobs saying, "iOS 5 will be available in the fall for certain handsets." And in the fall, it is announced that it will be only on the upcoming iPhone 5. A few months after the iP5 release, it only goes out to AT&T iPhone 4 users, but they only release 5,000 updates on day one, 10,000 updates on day 2 and so on. Then 1/2yr later, 3GS users go through the same thing. And a year later, people are talking about iOS 6 and you're still running iOS 4 on your ViP. Then as iOS 6 is about to be released, you get iOS 5 and it bogs your phone down. How'd you feel then?

Yes, that would suck more, sure. But please read what we were talking about... We don't hate our phones. We just don't like the fragmentation that's growing.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
LOL... Not.
Just because someone isn't made of money in this craptastic economy doesn't mean they can't save up to afford a nice phone. I don't see how not having $100 to blow on a beta means I shouldn't have an iPhone... Please, elaborate. Thanks.

I don't see it either and I actually spend money like crazy (look at the current phones in my sig) and for me to pay $100 to test out the beta is not happening. I don't mind those who do as that's what they want to spend their money on.

I might sign up next year for iOS6 -- I want to see what I can come up with, app wise.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see it either and I actually spend money like crazy (look at the current phones in my sig) and for me to pay $100 to test out the beta is not happening. I don't mind those who do as that's what they want to spend their money on.

I might sign up next year for iOS6 -- I want to see what I can come up with, app wise.

It doesn't have to cost $100... get someone to add you... they're all over eBay ranging in cost between $2 and $10... I paid $4.50.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
That's not a fair statement, as Apple was selling the iPhone 3+ years before Verizon was given a shot. I don't recall AT&T's initial iPhone release being so big and selling out as fast as it was with Verizon. Just saying.

Ummm bro, there were lines everywhere. Biggest crowds I've seen waiting for a device ever....you're nuts...

Reactions: anon(52425)

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 question re os 5

I have Verizon and a BlackBerry Storm 2 and can change phones at the end of June. If I buy the iPhone 4 now from Verizon will I be able to upgrade to the new OS5 when it comes out in the Fall? It sounds like the new OS 5 is pretty exciting and worth getting if possible but not sure if I want the iPhone4 if OS 5 won't apply to the phone.

Thanks.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
OS 5 will apply to the Verizon iPhone just as well as the AT&T one. They may be a bit lagging when it is coming to the updates so far, but they're not going to have you miss out on a complete OS upgrade.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't have to cost $100... get someone to add you... they're all over eBay ranging in cost between $2 and $10... I paid $4.50.

yeah I know... I'm on it and was added for free. I just wouldn't pay anyone who I don't know in person for a slot... not even sure it's even legal to do so. The person can decide that they have your money and he/she is done with you... you then have a paperweight.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
OS 5 will apply to the Verizon iPhone just as well as the AT&T one. They may be a bit lagging when it is coming to the updates so far, but they're not going to have you miss out on a complete OS upgrade.

Up until now (and for the foreseeable future) iOS upgrades are free for iPhones. Apple also typically supports up to 2 previous generation iPhones with the new updates. So if you were to get the iPhone 4, you would get iOS 5 for free and you should also get iOS 6 too but there may be some items unavailable due to hardware limitations.

palmprenc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I was in the Verizon store today getting an iPhone for my wife an me today. I asked the rep who was helping us out if Verizon was getting the 4.3 update, or if they were waiting until 5 comes out. He said that he just got an email saying that 4.3 would come out next month. He was going to double check, but we got sidetraked, so I didn't get any further info. Take this info with a grain of salt as I don't have any proof.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR