It could be worse.

I'd rather make phone calls and actually see some value in my $30/month data plan (AT&T, I'm looking at you) than have a iPod touch made of glass with the latest OS update. Sure we are missing some features, but the phone works. If you had the fantastically horrible AT&T service on my 3GS, you'd be happy with your iPhone on Verizon now.

You could go over to Android where you just don't even know if you will be getting the next big OS upgrade. Gingerbread? Some users are still waiting for Froyo! Imagine if WWDC concluded with Jobs saying, "iOS 5 will be available in the fall for certain handsets." And in the fall, it is announced that it will be only on the upcoming iPhone 5. A few months after the iP5 release, it only goes out to AT&T iPhone 4 users, but they only release 5,000 updates on day one, 10,000 updates on day 2 and so on. Then 1/2yr later, 3GS users go through the same thing. And a year later, people are talking about iOS 6 and you're still running iOS 4 on your ViP. Then as iOS 6 is about to be released, you get iOS 5 and it bogs your phone down. How'd you feel then?
    Yes, that would suck more, sure. But please read what we were talking about... We don't hate our phones. We just don't like the fragmentation that's growing.
    06-08-2011 11:49 AM
    LOL... Not.
    Just because someone isn't made of money in this craptastic economy doesn't mean they can't save up to afford a nice phone. I don't see how not having $100 to blow on a beta means I shouldn't have an iPhone... Please, elaborate. Thanks.
    I don't see it either and I actually spend money like crazy (look at the current phones in my sig) and for me to pay $100 to test out the beta is not happening. I don't mind those who do as that's what they want to spend their money on.

I might sign up next year for iOS6 -- I want to see what I can come up with, app wise.
    06-08-2011 12:44 PM
    I don't see it either and I actually spend money like crazy (look at the current phones in my sig) and for me to pay $100 to test out the beta is not happening. I don't mind those who do as that's what they want to spend their money on.

I might sign up next year for iOS6 -- I want to see what I can come up with, app wise.
    It doesn't have to cost $100... get someone to add you... they're all over eBay ranging in cost between $2 and $10... I paid $4.50.
    06-08-2011 04:18 PM
    That's not a fair statement, as Apple was selling the iPhone 3+ years before Verizon was given a shot. I don't recall AT&T's initial iPhone release being so big and selling out as fast as it was with Verizon. Just saying.
    Ummm bro, there were lines everywhere. Biggest crowds I've seen waiting for a device ever....you're nuts...
    Xm_jdm likes this.
    06-08-2011 04:49 PM
    I have Verizon and a BlackBerry Storm 2 and can change phones at the end of June. If I buy the iPhone 4 now from Verizon will I be able to upgrade to the new OS5 when it comes out in the Fall? It sounds like the new OS 5 is pretty exciting and worth getting if possible but not sure if I want the iPhone4 if OS 5 won't apply to the phone.

Thanks.
    06-09-2011 12:08 AM
    OS 5 will apply to the Verizon iPhone just as well as the AT&T one. They may be a bit lagging when it is coming to the updates so far, but they're not going to have you miss out on a complete OS upgrade.
    06-09-2011 12:10 AM
    It doesn't have to cost $100... get someone to add you... they're all over eBay ranging in cost between $2 and $10... I paid $4.50.
    yeah I know... I'm on it and was added for free. I just wouldn't pay anyone who I don't know in person for a slot... not even sure it's even legal to do so. The person can decide that they have your money and he/she is done with you... you then have a paperweight.
    06-09-2011 12:37 AM
    OS 5 will apply to the Verizon iPhone just as well as the AT&T one. They may be a bit lagging when it is coming to the updates so far, but they're not going to have you miss out on a complete OS upgrade.
    Up until now (and for the foreseeable future) iOS upgrades are free for iPhones. Apple also typically supports up to 2 previous generation iPhones with the new updates. So if you were to get the iPhone 4, you would get iOS 5 for free and you should also get iOS 6 too but there may be some items unavailable due to hardware limitations.
    06-09-2011 12:46 AM
    wow... that is pretty weak. sorry guys.
    06-10-2011 02:17 PM
    I was in the Verizon store today getting an iPhone for my wife an me today. I asked the rep who was helping us out if Verizon was getting the 4.3 update, or if they were waiting until 5 comes out. He said that he just got an email saying that 4.3 would come out next month. He was going to double check, but we got sidetraked, so I didn't get any further info. Take this info with a grain of salt as I don't have any proof.
    06-10-2011 09:08 PM
    I was in the Verizon store today getting an iPhone for my wife an me today. I asked the rep who was helping us out if Verizon was getting the 4.3 update, or if they were waiting until 5 comes out. He said that he just got an email saying that 4.3 would come out next month. He was going to double check, but we got sidetraked, so I didn't get any further info. Take this info with a grain of salt as I don't have any proof.
    That would be AMAZING!!! Here's to hoping it's true! haha
    06-10-2011 10:46 PM
    Fingers tightly crossed!
    06-11-2011 01:15 PM
    I've been emailing back and forth with Verizon to see if I purchased the iPhone 4 now would I be able to update the software to OS 5 when Apple releases it in the Fall sometime. I think they must have gotten tired of my emails as they called me today about it. The Verizon rep said (again take with a grain of salt) that at this point the Verizon iPhone 4 will not be upgradable to the OS5 UNLESS Apple says different when they release it. She said that is what happened when the latest OS was done with the Android. VZ thought their phones wouldn't get the upgraded software till the day that it was released.

As far as the unlimited data plan being changed.......if you currently have the unlimited data plan you will keep that plan when the switch happens as it is "grandfathered" for existing customers.

I currently have a BB Storm 2 and while it works ok most of the time (it does self reboot sometimes), I am planning to leave RIM and get an iPhone in the very near future but now have to decide if I want to change to the iPhone 4 now and hope that the OS5 will be compatible with it or wait till the OS 5 comes out and know for sure and change then. I know it's only a few months but when you can upgrade your phone the waiting can be sooooooooooooo long. My BB has been good for the most part but it is just so restricted in apps that I'm ready to switch.

So there ya go...............I kept emailing VZ because I wanted their response about the OS 5 in writing...........that didn't happen........

Oh one more thing..............the VZ rep said that CNN is what to watch for the most reliable news on cell phone information for any carrier and VZ employees usually find out the same news at the same time..........
    06-11-2011 03:11 PM
    I've been emailing back and forth with Verizon to see if I purchased the iPhone 4 now would I be able to update the software to OS 5 when Apple releases it in the Fall sometime. I think they must have gotten tired of my emails as they called me today about it. The Verizon rep said (again take with a grain of salt) that at this point the Verizon iPhone 4 will not be upgradable to the OS5 UNLESS Apple says different when they release it. She said that is what happened when the latest OS was done with the Android. VZ thought their phones wouldn't get the upgraded software till the day that it was released.

As far as the unlimited data plan being changed.......if you currently have the unlimited data plan you will keep that plan when the switch happens as it is "grandfathered" for existing customers.

I currently have a BB Storm 2 and while it works ok most of the time (it does self reboot sometimes), I am planning to leave RIM and get an iPhone in the very near future but now have to decide if I want to change to the iPhone 4 now and hope that the OS5 will be compatible with it or wait till the OS 5 comes out and know for sure and change then. I know it's only a few months but when you can upgrade your phone the waiting can be sooooooooooooo long. My BB has been good for the most part but it is just so restricted in apps that I'm ready to switch.

So there ya go...............I kept emailing VZ because I wanted their response about the OS 5 in writing...........that didn't happen........

Oh one more thing..............the VZ rep said that CNN is what to watch for the most reliable news on cell phone information for any carrier and VZ employees usually find out the same news at the same time..........
    Whaaat? Wow, that Verizon rep is a complete and utter *****... Do not listen to them. I have the beta on my Verizon iPhone right now LOL

Wow... what a stupid rep, holy cow. My mind is blown... haha
    Last edited by chirmer; 06-11-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I can't spell, hurf durf
    06-11-2011 03:17 PM
    Whaaat? Wow, that Verizon rep is a complete and utter *****... Do not listen to them. I have the beta on my Verizon iPhone right now LOL

Wow... what a stupid rep, holy cow. My mind is blown... haha
    Yep... flat out stupid rep. i continue to be amazed at the crap these cellular phone reps come up with. If it's any consolation, it's not limited to VZW... ATT & T-Mobile have 'em too. (Not actually spoken with any Sprint reps, but my money is on them, too.)
    06-11-2011 04:04 PM
    Yep... flat out stupid rep. i continue to be amazed at the crap these cellular phone reps come up with. If it's any consolation, it's not limited to VZW... ATT & T-Mobile have 'em too. (Not actually spoken with any Sprint reps, but my money is on them, too.)
    Sometimes I go into Verizon stores and ask them questions I know the answers to... just to see what they come up with XD My sis got a white iPhone 4 and was eyeing the Otterbox Defender... I told her to not get it because it might mess her phone up, and the rep was like, "no, it works completely fine." I told him that many people reported problems with the proximity sensor not being accurate when using the case and that even Otterbox's website says it's not compatible... and then he was like, "Oh, yeah some guy just came in here yesterday with that problem and returned the case." I facepalmed in the store...
    06-11-2011 05:10 PM
    Sometimes I go into Verizon stores and ask them questions I know the answers to... just to see what they come up with XD My sis got a white iPhone 4 and was eyeing the Otterbox Defender... I told her to not get it because it might mess her phone up, and the rep was like, "no, it works completely fine." I told him that many people reported problems with the proximity sensor not being accurate when using the case and that even Otterbox's website says it's not compatible... and then he was like, "Oh, yeah some guy just came in here yesterday with that problem and returned the case." I facepalmed in the store...
    Yep... shameful... SMH
    06-11-2011 07:31 PM
    While we are on the subject of Verizon reps being wrong... my phone was not connecting to my wireless router even though it said that it was available. I called Verizon and the level 2 tech said that the iPhone constantly switches b/w 3G and wireless. I told her that this is the most counter intuitive thing I have ever hear. She said for me to lock into wireless, that I had to disable cellular data. I laughed and thanked her for her time. Turns out that my router just needed to be reset.
    06-11-2011 09:29 PM
    While we are on the subject of Verizon reps being wrong... my phone was not connecting to my wireless router even though it said that it was available. I called Verizon and the level 2 tech said that the iPhone constantly switches b/w 3G and wireless. I told her that this is the most counter intuitive thing I have ever hear. She said for me to lock into wireless, that I had to disable cellular data. I laughed and thanked her for her time. Turns out that my router just needed to be reset.
    LMAO

Wow. How much do these people get paid? I want in on this gig...
    06-11-2011 09:42 PM
    LMAO

Wow. How much do these people get paid? I want in on this gig...
    Here's a winner:

I was in with a GPS problem. Said it couldn't lock on to me. (not my iPhone)

The guy in the store said that's because my phone is CDMA, and not a satellite phone.

These people at these stores are the biggest idiots I have ever had to talk to.
    Don't even get me started on their confusion with iPhone Vs. Android.

wow........
    06-11-2011 10:20 PM
    Verizon put almost everything feature wise in their 4.2.8 version thats in the AT&T software version. Just because AT&T one has a higher software number doesn't mean anything at this time.
    06-11-2011 10:32 PM
    Verizon put almost everything feature wise in their 4.2.8 version thats in the AT&T software version. Just because AT&T one has a higher software number doesn't mean anything at this time.
    Verizon put nothing in 4.2.8. The software comes solely from Apple. It's also missing many features that 4.3 has, such as Airplay, more usable ringtones, and a faster Safari, amongst other things. There's a fairly discernible difference between the two software versions.
    06-11-2011 10:41 PM
    Here's a winner:

I was in with a GPS problem. Said it couldn't lock on to me. (not my iPhone)

The guy in the store said that's because my phone is CDMA, and not a satellite phone.

These people at these stores are the biggest idiots I have ever had to talk to.
    Don't even get me started on their confusion with iPhone Vs. Android.

wow........
    BAHAHAH yikes. Really, because it's CDMA? What dumb.
    06-11-2011 10:46 PM
    BAHAHAH yikes. Really, because it's CDMA? What dumb.
    I really feel someone should make a "Stupid crap Verizon employee told me" thread.
    06-12-2011 08:22 PM
    I really feel someone should make a "Stupid crap Verizon employee told me" thread.
    Yes, please. When we went in to purchase my boyfriend's iPhone, they couldn't even figure out how to activate the phone. As in *228, the activation line, was too hard to remember. Eye roll.
    06-12-2011 09:10 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD