old news i know.. i never thought i would purchase a holster but after reading about this the last couple of days i am seriously considering it. here are some intriguing articles about it as well

IPhone | LabRat 4 SAR: Inconvenient Truths About Cellphone Radiation

Apple Cell Phone Radiation Chart - Mobile phone EMF safety shield

WARNING: Never carry your cell phone in your pocket! | LabRat 4 SAR: Inconvenient Truths About Cellphone Radiation

Check YOUR cell phone See if you can find the warning label
    If you receive texts or calls while the phone is on your body (in a pocket or tucked into the waistband of your pants, or wherever) you are exceeding radiation exposure guidelines established by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

So, how many of you have seen this warning???

It appears in the fine print of the user manual packaged with most cell phones. Is it in yours? Its important to take the time to look.

Unfortunately, there was no warning in the product literature that came with the BlackBerry Pearl that I bought from AT & T. None. Nada. I carried my BlackBerry Pearl around in my pocket for 8 months, being exposed to unknown levels of radiation before I became enlightened.

I decided to do a little research on my BlackBerry Pearl. And, what I found out is alarming.

Heres a quote from the website of BlackBerrys manufacturer, Research in Motion (RIM):

If you do not use a body-worn accessory supplied or approved by RIM when you carry the BlackBerry device, keep the device at least 0.98 inches (25 mm) from your body when the BlackBerry device is turned on and connected to a wireless network.

Translated this means: Youre NEVER supposed to hold the BlackBerry Pearl (and possibly other BlackBerry devices) closer than 1 inch from your body when its turned on!

Like Im supposed to MEASURE the distance between my phone and my body?!

How about my 17-year-old daughter who gets 3,500 text messages a month with the phone in her pocket? Not held an inch away, but right next to her reproductive organs? The guys she hangs around with also carry their phones in their pockets.right next to their family jewels. What level of radiation are these kids exposed to in a months time?!

What the *&%+ is going on?!

A warning this important should have a neon label on the package where the user will see it:

Dont carry this device in your pocket or you will be exposed to radiation that exceeds federal guidelines.

This would make sense if the manufacturer actually wanted to warn the user.

When I called the BlackBerry manufacturer and asked why there wasnt a warning in the product literature that came with the phone, a RIM vice president told me to not worry because all RIM BlackBerry products meet FCC radiation emission guidelines.

Not quite true. Blackberry products only meet the FCC radiation guidelines IF you carry the phone in a RIM approved holster and NEVER in your pocket. (Oh, those pesky little details)

My next step was to go find actual warnings from a sample of user manuals that were packaged with phones other than BlackBerrys. Heres what I found:

Apple iPhone For body-worn operation, iPhones SAR measurement may exceed the FCC exposure guidelines if positioned less than 15 mm (5/8th inch) from the body.for body-worn operation, keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8th inch) away from the body.

Wireless phones marketed in the US are required to meet safety requirements regardless of whether they are used against the head or against the body. Either configuration should result in compliance with the safety limit.

This quote that Verizon uses is from the FDA/FCC website. Oh, great! Our very own US federal agenciesyou know, the ones that regulate cell phone radiation are giving the manufacturers an excuse to avoid warning the consumer that against the body actually means using a holster a holster that you have to buy even though its required when you wear the device on your body. To add insult to injury, the cell phone industry has figured out how to scam an additional $15 $25 out of us when we buy a new phone. What a lucrative marketing strategy.

Go find your user manual that came with your phone. See for yourself. Or, if you dont have the user guide any more, or there wasnt a safety section in the package about body-worn operation or radio frequency (RF) safety, call Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or whoever sold you the phone. Check it out.

BlackBerry users that purchased phones without the radio frequency safety warning to not carry the device directly on your body may need to contact RIM directly to verify this information:

RIMs customer support line: 1-877-255-2377 (toll free)

Get a holster if you carry your phone around on your bodyand dont put the thing in your pants, pocket or whereverunless you want to expose yourself to more microwave radiation than FCC allows. Thats right. Microwave radiation the radio frequency that comes out of a cell phone when we make a call, send a text message or download something off the internet is the same frequency as the radiation that cooks food in a microwave oven.

To read more articles about the issues related to cell phone manufacturers hiding the safety warnings from consumers, goto:

Lab Rat 4 SAR: Cell Phone Edition
    does this concern anyone else who currently carries their device in their pocket?
    05-26-2011 08:28 PM
    Not one bit.
    05-26-2011 11:07 PM
    SO basically you read something on the internet and it must be true.
    This guy calls himself a consumer safety advocate, I wonder what qualifications he has to state these facts apparently he has a whopping 3 years of experience.

See below from his website.

About

I am a cell phone consumer safety advocate and FCC regulatory watchdog. This work began over 3 years ago when I discovered that there was an FCC-required consumer radiation warning for my BlackBerry Pearl hidden in technical fine print on the manufacturers website. I was never supposed to be wearing or carrying my phone closer than 1″ from my body. The warning implied that to carry it in a pocket against my body when connected to a network could expose me to radiation many times greater than the maximum federal safety limit. This industry-wide, deceptive practice of hiding the consumer safety warning (with CTIAs knowledge) is ignored by the FCC. Additionally, I have uncovered cases of bunglings and incompetence on the part of the federal officials who are supposed to ensure that cell phone radiation is safe for all US consumers.

I am committed to exposing these truths in a factual (albeit emotional and outraged) manner and will continue to write articles, email officials and lobby legislators until FCC testing procedures are modified AND until the cell phone industry complies with the FCC requirement to inform consumers about radiation safety guidelines as they are legally required to do.

By the way, we are ALL lab rats in the global experiment to prove that cell phone radiation is safe. Hopefully, the long term results will validate that the industry/CTIA, the FCC and the tin foil hat skeptics are correct in their hypothesis!
    Last edited by p2kart; 05-26-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    05-26-2011 11:10 PM
    I don't worry about it.
    05-27-2011 01:02 AM
    You've been getting bombarded by radio frequency radiation since the advent of such. You are exposed to much higher levels of radiation daily, than your cell phone can give off.

I've carried my cell in my pocket since the Startac I had in the 90's. I still haven't grown any mutated appendages.
    05-27-2011 07:20 AM
    I often thought about this on my own. This is why I started facing my screen pointing outward in my pocket instead of pointing towards my leg. The problem is that I've had a cellphone for over 15 years and I've just started thinking about this now. So for 15 years I have had it in my pocket so who knows what damage has already been done. Then if you consider that older phones probably had older technology, less shielding and made of different types of materials I guess I'm just trying to act as if ignorance will protect me LOL This reminds me of the XRay machines that used to be used way back in the day to size shoes to your feet, or the radioactive tonic people used to drink until one guy's jaw fell off. The knowledge of the time is astounding when you look back knowing what we know now.
    05-27-2011 10:08 AM
    old news i know.. i never thought i would purchase a holster but after reading about this the last couple of days i am seriously considering it. here are some intriguing articles about it as well

IPhone | LabRat 4 SAR: Inconvenient Truths About Cellphone Radiation

Apple Cell Phone Radiation Chart - Mobile phone EMF safety shield

WARNING: Never carry your cell phone in your pocket! | LabRat 4 SAR: Inconvenient Truths About Cellphone Radiation

does this concern anyone else who currently carries their device in their pocket?
    No, get me a peer reviewed article in a scientific journal showing that cell phones increase cancer rates.
    05-27-2011 10:53 AM
    this is just crazy. before i go spending hours researching about this do "we" just assume it does not have any effects until proven it does?

just in the little bit of time i did look i have yet to find any "official" findings.. i am willing to be open minded about this but only if someone can provide me legitimate information
    05-27-2011 01:13 PM
    this is just crazy. before i go spending hours researching about this do "we" just assume it does not have any effects until proven it does?

just in the little bit of time i did look i have yet to find any "official" findings.. i am willing to be open minded about this but only if someone can provide me legitimate information
    I know you won't find any, there aren't any. I'm a scientist and I know what is in the literature. The electro-magnetic radiation from this not high energy or ionizing; it does not have the ability to damage DNA. Infrared, visible light, and ultra-violet waves are all higher energy than these waves. Are you afraid of light bulbs? No one is assuming, it's the laws of physics.

Electromagnetic Waves - different waves, different wavelengths

A very simple break down from NASA.

Your microwave also will not cause cancer, the shield on the door is there to keep you from getting burned. The waves are tuned to excite water molecules, as this happens temperature increases and it cooks your food.
    Last edited by sting7k; 05-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    BLiNK and brokenxreality like this.
    05-27-2011 02:19 PM
    Wow reading this thread was an Epic Waste of time.....thought it was gonna be like "don't keep your phone in your pocket with your keys cause it will scratch the screen" or something like that. As a ham radio operator I can tell you I'm more concerned about wether I'm exceeding my rf exposure limit while operating my HF radio.
    05-28-2011 10:09 AM
    its best to carry your cell phone in a safe deposit box, lined with lead, such that no radation gets in, and none gets out...

thus defeating:
    -Push features
    -all cell-phone features
    -the need to carry a cell phone

cell phones emit non-ionizing radiation, if you seek out the FCC, you can research the correct amount of non-ionizing radiation you may be exposed to at any given time..

if its any consolation, i work in public safety, using two-way radios all day. per the FCC, i am allowed to absorb MORE non-ionizing radiation than the non-public safety worker... is my body different? nope... just allowed to be more exposed as a standard.

heres a great link if your truly concerned:

OET -- RF Safety FAQ's

FCC OET Bulliten for Occupational/General Population exposure limits (MPE) - see page 15
    http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/En...56/oet56e4.pdf
    Last edited by Libuff; 05-28-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    BLiNK likes this.
    05-28-2011 11:50 AM
    Geez....I wondered why I started to grow an extra finger on both hands !!!!!
    05-29-2011 10:51 AM
    I know you won't find any, there aren't any. I'm a scientist and I know what is in the literature. The electro-magnetic radiation from this not high energy or ionizing; it does not have the ability to damage DNA. Infrared, visible light, and ultra-violet waves are all higher energy than these waves. Are you afraid of light bulbs? No one is assuming, it's the laws of physics.

Electromagnetic Waves - different waves, different wavelengths

A very simple break down from NASA.

Your microwave also will not cause cancer, the shield on the door is there to keep you from getting burned. The waves are tuned to excite water molecules, as this happens temperature increases and it cooks your food.
    Awesome. Thanks for cutting through the pseudo-science!
    05-29-2011 11:18 AM
    No, get me a peer reviewed article in a scientific journal showing that cell phones increase cancer rates.
    ....................exactly
    05-29-2011 06:39 PM
    good Nice Phone
    05-29-2011 06:50 PM
    I'm not worried. My balls are made of titanium.
    05-29-2011 09:00 PM
    Me too until I grew am extra one lol.
    05-30-2011 12:05 AM
    Well looks like I'm going to leave my phone in my locker at work!
    05-30-2011 12:57 AM
    I read through that little book once, not the one with the iPhone but the one that came with my old droid x. It's worth a read just for all the crap in there. Apparently not only does the phone melt you if you wear it in your pocket, but apparently if you use obscene language when texting or calling someone, you're breaking federal law.

Needless to say after that one I didn't take much else in the boom seriously.
    05-30-2011 02:19 AM
    I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The replies are priceless. I really think that the bottom line is.... if they were DANGEROUS, they would not be able to make them. Keep the one liners coming !!!!!
    05-30-2011 09:09 AM
    Real dumb post.... here is an idea that will save you some money if you are still scared... put a pack of gum in your pocket and the phone on top of the gum... problem solved....
    05-30-2011 12:43 PM
    If i keep my iPhone in my pocket long enough, i'll be able to paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi "These aren't the Gonads i've been looking for". May the Force be with me!
    05-30-2011 07:11 PM
    I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The replies are priceless. I really think that the bottom line is.... if they were DANGEROUS, they would not be able to make them. Keep the one liners coming !!!!!
    Which is why Cigarettes and other dangerous things are not made anymore.. I'm not going to laugh at your post, because ignorance like this is sad.

There is much we don't know, most people have not been using cell phones long enough to really know for sure if they are 100% safe, some of the comments here sound really ignorant.

Here is an interesting article Fact or Fiction?: Cell Phones Can Cause Brain Cancer: Scientific American

Remember, at one time all the experts said smoking was perfectly safe.
    ZachSimone and BLiNK like this.
    05-30-2011 07:16 PM
    merci a tous
    05-31-2011 09:15 AM
    Mmmm, I think I'll be fine, besides, maybe the radiation will make me faster!
    05-31-2011 12:35 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD