SOOOO i bricked my phone. i was trying to restore and update it to 4.2.8 and it would get about 3/4 of the way through the restore and tell me that there was an unknown error (9). i've tried everything the apple site says along with tinyumbrella. recboot is no longer available or i would've tried that also. anyone else have this issue? it's just stuck on the screen with the usb pointing the the itunes symbol. and yes, i am...was?...jailbroken.
    any help wouls be awesome. i use my phone for everything :/
    05-25-2011 02:43 PM
    SOOOO i bricked my phone. i was trying to restore and update it to 4.2.8 and it would get about 3/4 of the way through the restore and tell me that there was an unknown error (9). i've tried everything the apple site says along with tinyumbrella. recboot is no longer available or i would've tried that also. anyone else have this issue? it's just stuck on the screen with the usb pointing the the itunes symbol. and yes, i am...was?...jailbroken.
    any help wouls be awesome. i use my phone for everything :/
    I have no idea how to fix this! Just call Apple Support or book a Genious Bar appointment at your local Apple Store.
    05-25-2011 02:48 PM
    have you tried putting the device into recovery mode and then upgrade?

Enter & Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
    05-25-2011 02:50 PM
    have you tried putting the device into recovery mode and then upgrade?

Enter & Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
    it's stuck in recovery mode. i plug it into itunes and it says i have an iphone in recovery mode and need to restore it, so i hit restore, and it gives me the error message about 3/4 of the way through.
    05-25-2011 02:52 PM
    Not to ask a silly question, but does your computer have unrestricted access to the internet? I had this exact issue and couldn't do anything because my work blocked itunes access. When I would plug it in, itunes would try to get access to the OS, but it couldn't and the phone would just hang there.
    05-25-2011 03:07 PM
    Not to ask a silly question, but does your computer have unrestricted access to the internet? I had this exact issue and couldn't do anything because my work blocked itunes access. When I would plug it in, itunes would try to get access to the OS, but it couldn't and the phone would just hang there.
    not that i know of. i never had a problem with it until yesterday...
    05-25-2011 03:26 PM
    If you have access to another computer with iTunes, I'd try to do it with that one.
    05-25-2011 03:40 PM
    i only have the one computer, but i saw on the apple site that i can try with a different user account so i'm doing that. guess we'll see what happens. if it doesn't work, then i'm off to the apple store.
    05-25-2011 04:04 PM
    The only thing that sucks is that when you're able to restore it on another computer, you're still
    going to have to fix the error on your current one. Since all your apps and music are all probably
    on there.

That is if the Apple store doesn't exchange it for you. Which I would push for
    05-25-2011 04:18 PM
    yeah that's what i'm thinking is going to have to happen
    05-25-2011 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD