New user from webOS

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
First I have to say I like the simplicity and great aesthetics of iOS. The fact I can now have almost any app I want is nice too.

One thing I'm not liking are notifications being obtrusive. Do I have any options for this or do I just gotta get used to it?

Thanks in advance

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Without jailbreaking and finding a suitable notification app (there are many), you just have to "get used to it"... at least for now. Apple has hired the guy who designed the notification system/process in WebOS, so we may see something new/better/different as soon as iOS5... or we may not.

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can try either Lockinfo or Notified Pro. Both Cydia apps, I believe, are not free. However, Lockinfo offers a trial run for 14 days. Notified Pro is pretty good as well, but if you're the type who receives a lot of email, you're better off with the first app for now. At least, this has been my experience. Good luck!

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
i dont really like the notifications of iOS either, although that video TiPb and some other sites posted a while ago about a seperate app for notifications looks awesome :)

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For jailbroken iPhones what are good apps for this thanks

LockInfo is great if you want select Notifications and other info. Like, most people use it for notifications and for say, weather and calendar info. There are a ton of options for this. Unfortunately LockInfo only lets you act on mail and message notifications. It will show you the rest but if you tap it, nothing happens. Also, if you add a ton of tweaks or have it poll frequently, it can drain your battery.

Notified Pro is solely for Notifications. Unlike LockInfo, it lets you Tap every notification and it takes you to that app. You can also set redirects if you'd rather open another app (for example, I redirect Twitter push Notifications to have it open TweetBot instead of the official app). It also has a gorgeous UI and looks like it belongs in iOS. It's a bit tricky to install however and is in beta right now. It also will only alert you for mail - you cannot see it in the Notifications area nor act on it from Notified.

TL;DR
LockInfo is great for heavy messages/email/other info at a glance. Notified Pro is a better all-around Notifications option.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As a member of "Team Pure", it's extremely frustrating, so I agree with OP. I'm hanging in there for iOS 5, but if they don't make any headway in iOS 5 toward managing notifications, I might abandon iOS.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As a member of "Team Pure", it's extremely frustrating, so I agree with OP. I'm hanging in there for iOS 5, but if they don't make any headway in iOS 5 toward managing notifications, I might abandon iOS.

I'm sure Apple will not disappoint - they usually don't.

...I hope. LOL.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea Apple never disappoints, just their prices disappoint lol

One must pay for quality. They're no worse that any other producer of quality goods.

BMW cost more than a Kia... but you get a better, higher quality product. Same with Apple's products...

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
One more question, for some reason when I get new gmail it won't push to my phone with a notification even with push on in settings.

I have missed a lot of emails because I forget I have to manually check. Is this a known issue?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
You have to set up gmail as exchange to get push email through gmail. You can also get the google app and they push notifications to you when you get email. Also, looks like you got your wish to the original post with ios 5!

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to set up gmail as exchange to get push email through gmail. You can also get the google app and they push notifications to you when you get email. Also, looks like you got your wish to the original post with ios 5!

Yea I guess i switched at the perfect time. Thanks for answering my question I will try it out.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo pushes on it's own. I don't know how reliable it is though. Live, however, does have to be set up as exchange. mobileme, or icloud in a few months pushes on its own.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro