Chickend Out of getting iPhone 4...confused

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Me personally, I'm waiting for the next iPhone iteration on VZW. Whatever it is (4S/5/???). My wife and I will be combining our Verizon plans and I'll be ready for an update come July (she's already eligible). She's using a BlackBerry Bold and I've got a Droid X, but I'm really tired of constantly watching my battery (plus I use iTunes for all my media), so I want to switch. I've already told her that I think an iPhone would be the best thing for her (assuming she can handle having an all touch screen phone) and I know I want one. The iP4 is awesome, but if something is coming out in the next 3 months, I'll just hold off. If you have a crap phone now, then I'd look for a used one on eBay or Craigslist, but I wouldn't blow my upgrade if something new is just around the corner.

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had my iPhone for about a month and now I am totally in love with it! Had a Droid X and loved it too, but just really wanted to try an iPhone. My husband switched his service back to Big Red. He took my X and I got the iPhone. Took a little getting used to, but once I got used to it, bliss.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree that how much does a person need in a smartphone? in the last year, they have gone from the ultra-slow BlackBerries, which were not long ago the "only" smartphones, to more than 100 smartphones in the Android court and the iPhone 4. Things are changing rapidly, especially with LTE/4G in development. I would guess about a year from now, everything will be quite different.

petersenjp

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I still have this feeling, as soon as the iphone 4s/5 is announced, VZW will drop the unlimited data and go to tier'd. I just have this feeling (no facts behind this) that they are going to try to catch people waiting for the newest.

Next, from all the rumors, the up coming device isn't really ground breaking in anyway. Upgraded cameras, probably faster processor, you know, the typical upgrades.

Finally, if you are always waiting for the next device, you will be waiting forever, there will always be rumors in the world of apple that a new device is coming out.

Good luck with your decisions, but in my eyes, grab the i4 and enjoy it. It really is an amazing phone.

anon(5298)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Well i got it narrowed down between the White iPhone 4 or a HTC Thunderbolt. I was also considering waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S II. Going back to look at both the HTC and iPhone today. I sort of laughing at myself for making this stressful, but to me 2 yrs is a lot to invest. Plus i'm wondering when Verizon is going to stop their unlimited plans.

The TB suffers from EXTREMELY horrible battery life and imo, the negatives outweigh the positives at this point.. What is the point of owning an LTE phone that needs to be plugged in every 4-6 hours? They are called "wireless" for a reason..

I chose the white iPhone 4 over this phone and like others, have not looked back since. Nobody knows when the new iPhone is coming so you have to go with the decision that makes the most sense at this moment if you cannot hold out for the next gen iPhone.

Best of luck!

ptb127

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
I walked into the Verizon store with the intent of getting a New White iPhone 4,but i got to looking at the Droid phones and the thought of the New iPhone coming out in a few months and thought i should wait. Any one else getting more confused. I thought the Droid Charge was nice, but the Ive had a Evo before and know they suck power. Just trying to figure it out.

I am not even sure how much of a dramatic increase the next iPhone will be. Maybe a little bit faster with better processor or dual core etc.. but how long will it take before apps could take advantage of it? You would probably be ready for another upgrade by then! I am more excited about iOS 5 then I am about better hardware. I mean the screen is already by far the best in the industry. It could be a little bigger but without losing the resolution and screen clarity. Recently traded my black 32GB for a white one. I absolutely LOVE the white one. Don't look back on decisions you make though, especially with cell phones, they will drive you crazy!

ba_hamilton

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought my son an iphone4 for his birthday 2 days ago. It is a sweet phone. He was looking at the android phones but really had his heart set on the iPhone. I'm a blackberry user myself but could see myself switching to the iPhone when it's time to upgrade next.

jnewell

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get consistent 3G coverage here in the Boston area....4G is a battery vampire...4G may turn out to be more expensive, tho that's not what VZW claims now...lots of reasons not to hold my breath for 4G/LTE.

I'm with you on this one...LTE/4G/whateveryouwannacallit won't be out for at least another year and a half so the next iterations won't be that big of a change in my eyes...

PhoneAddict

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I just pick up a IP4 this past week and also thought about waiting for the next version. Glad I decided to go with the 4 as the phone is amazing and as of now, based on what I have read, the enhancements discussed in the next version are not earth shattering based on my needs.

ivybiznatch

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get consistent 3G coverage here in the Boston area....4G is a battery vampire...4G may turn out to be more expensive, tho that's not what VZW claims now...lots of reasons not to hold my breath for 4G/LTE.

I live north of Boston and very rarely, if ever, have trouble with Verizon 3G on my iPhone. My work laptop uses AT&T 3G and I have nothing but problems. I can have 5 bars on my iPhone and the laptop will only have 1 and can't connect.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
I walked into the Verizon store with the intent of getting a New White iPhone 4,but i got to looking at the Droid phones and the thought of the New iPhone coming out in a few months and thought i should wait. Any one else getting more confused. I thought the Droid Charge was nice, but the Ive had a Evo before and know they suck power. Just trying to figure it out.

Where are you located? Is there 4G in your area? I have an Evo running Gingerbread/Sense 3.0 so I really had little desire to upgrade to the Evo 3D. I decided to open a new line on parents Verizon account to try the iPhone, maybe even switch over for a year. I was really feeling very limited by the iPhone, even jailbroken and was pretty much back on my Evo with the iPhone sitting on the counter during the last week of my 2 week return period. Then boom, Verizon turns on 4G here in Montgomery, AL. I take the iPhone back and pick up a Thunderbolt intent on trying it for a few weeks. I was certain there was no way I could buy pretty much the same phone again, just on Verizon, but the 4G is amazing. My Evo is collecting dust now and the Sprint line is about to be shut down. Once you go true Verizon LTE you can never go back. It was as dramatic as the move from 2G to 3G. Verizon's widespread 3G coverage is well known, but even the new 4G extends way out into the small towns surrounding the big markets. I though about going with the Charge, just so I could feel like I was on something new, but decided to root and load up a Gingerbread/Sense rom on the thunderbolt. I figure I will pass it on to pops once a good dual core LTE phone comes to Verizon. On a related note, every time I go into the Verizon Store, all the action is on the Android side. I know there will be lines come the next iPhone, but it seems like the other 10/11 months out of the year, Android is the place to be. I know there has been a definite shift when I see older folks walking in asking about Android phones.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
What, exactly, do you use LTE speeds for? 3G works perfectly for me as far as streaming audio and video here in Philly. That, and when I'm at home, I'm on WIFI. Everything I've heard about LTE is that it is a battery hog, and the Thunderbolt gets absolutely terrible battery life.

Everyone I know that has a Bolt has regretted getting it after two months. Four hours and a dead battery does not a mobile phone make.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone doesn't do LTE. Possibly whatever iPhone is released in 2012. True LTE is available in so few places it's not worth it. Verizon turned on 4G last week in Montgomery (and a few other cities here in AL), but not LTE.

jnewell

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Reception, like politics and real estate, is local. :D I have an AT&T BB issued by my employer and it has the same problems, so for me, both carriers are the same, and neither is very good.

I live north of Boston and very rarely, if ever, have trouble with Verizon 3G on my iPhone. My work laptop uses AT&T 3G and I have nothing but problems. I can have 5 bars on my iPhone and the laptop will only have 1 and can't connect.

jnewell

May 22, 2011
Visit site
What, exactly, do you use LTE speeds for? 3G works perfectly for me as far as streaming audio and video here in Philly. That, and when I'm at home, I'm on WIFI. Everything I've heard about LTE is that it is a battery hog, and the Thunderbolt gets absolutely terrible battery life.

Everyone I know that has a Bolt has regretted getting it after two months. Four hours and a dead battery does not a mobile phone make.

My hunch is that once LTE is more widely rolled out, app developers and content providers will start trying to take advantage of the greater speeds, which may make 3G devices start looking unmanageably slow. I hope I'm wrong!

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site

I tether my iPad, kids iPod Touch's and a notebook when we are out and about. Stream MSNBC on JustinTV on the work. Of course I don't watch it, but I can't find an audio only stream. On 3G it would buffer or stop from time to time. when I step out of the office my podcast all update within under a minute, whereas on 3G one podcast would take minutes. Seriously, anyone questioning the need for 4G is pretty silly. Do you question the need for a WiFi radio in your phone since it has 3G? I'm certain when it rolls out on the iPhone than you will embrace it with open arms and curse 3G as you would curse having to go back to 2G. As far as batter is concerned, I have a charger in my car and one at work. My battery never dips below 50%. Plus we arent talking about an iPhone. A battery can be swapped out in mere seconds. The fact that most smartphones outside of the iPhone use a standard micro USB plug now, Im never more than a few feet away from a charging source.

The iPhone doesn't do LTE. Possibly whatever iPhone is released in 2012. True LTE is available in so few places it's not worth it. Verizon turned on 4G last week in Montgomery (and a few other cities here in AL), but not LTE.

Confused. Verizon turned on LTE. You can argue whether or not it's true 4G, but it's certainly LTE. The speeds Im getting along with low latency is akin to being on constant WIFI wherever I go. Would you choose 3G over WiFi when WiFi is available? Exactly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73