My wife just got an iPhone. After both Verizon and the Apple Store assured me the iPhone would know to import Apple's iCal and Address book it did not. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this.

Thanks
    05-13-2011 09:01 PM
    In iTunes, make sure you check Sync with iCal Calendars.
    05-13-2011 09:07 PM
    Thanks, bear with me I have never used iTunes before. I'm not sure where to find iCal Calenders or I guess I'm also looking for something like Address Book or Contacts. I see where her phone shows under devices on left. What next? There are 7 tabs, center, close to the top (first is Summary). It keeps quitting when I select the Info tab?
    05-14-2011 06:12 AM
    I understand - the only reason I use iTunes is to sync the iPhone. (I disliked it on Windows, and I'm less enamoured of it on my Mac!) If you continue experiencing crashes in iTunes, make sure you have the most recent version, and if you can't get through this next part, let us know so we can try to figure out what's wrong.

You need to make sure your iPhone is plugged in while you do this. Choose that 2nd tab that says Info. As long as your iPhone is plugged in, it shouldn't quit. The 2nd bit of info down shows you to sync address book contacts - you'll want to do this (although I highly recommend syncing both your iPhone and your Mac directly to Google). The 3rd block down offers to sync calendars.
    05-14-2011 10:12 AM
    This is one area where Google has Apple beat, hands down. Sync your contacts with Google/Gmail and then sync Google stuff with your iPhone. Sounds like a kludge, but it's MUCH cleaner and easier than Apple's "Rube Goldberg" approach, IMHO.
    05-14-2011 10:51 AM
    Thanks for the help. After 2 1/2 hrs with Apple it turns out there was a glitch with iTunes. It and related files, Library had to be trashed and iTunes reinstalled. Working fine now. Thanks
    05-15-2011 06:11 AM
    Welcome to iTunes. Pfffft. I can't wait for them to update it so that it actually works.
    05-15-2011 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD