Hi. My Mac's hard drive recently crashed and everything is wiped out. I have a new hard disk now.
    My question is: How do I transfer data from my iPhone... back to my Mac? I would like to transfer data from my iCal, iTunes, iPhotos, SMS and contacts.
    Would appreciate some advice. It's been a very frustrating experience. I don't want to screw up and end up deleting all my data from my iPhone instead.
    05-13-2011 10:33 AM
    For your iTunes, I recommend Senuti app. Well worth the $20.

iCal and Contacts - sync to Google and you'll have your calendar and contacts and never worry about this kind of thing again.

Photos - email them all to yourself. It might take you a while, but at least you'll have them.

I don't believe there is a way to save your SMS.
    05-13-2011 12:48 PM
    For photos, with a mac & iPhoto - all you need to do is have the iPhone connected to the mac and launch iPhoto and move them from the phone to the mac.
    05-13-2011 02:23 PM
    iPhoto should automatically open when you connect your iphone
    05-13-2011 03:32 PM
    iPhoto will only see those photos on your camera roll.

Presumably this person has lots of photos on his iPhone that were on his old Mac. These photos can't be seen from iPhoto...or anything else. If you don't want to lose them, you have to email them.
    05-13-2011 06:44 PM
    There's also iPhone Explorer and rooting around in the phone's OS... That will definitely allow fetching things off the phone.
    05-13-2011 07:48 PM
    That won't get the photos that you put on by syncing in the first place.
    05-13-2011 09:17 PM
    For photos, with a mac & iPhoto - all you need to do is have the iPhone connected to the mac and launch iPhoto and move them from the phone to the mac.
    Interesting... Does this also apply to videos that were recorded on the iPhone, or do you need to use iMovie for that?
    05-14-2011 08:43 AM
    No, no, no. You will lose almost everything this way. Authorizing your new Mac won't do anything for music not purchased through iTunes (for most of us, that's the majority), or your photos.

Log-in in to your iTunes account on your new Mac and then sync as normal. You'll be asked if you want to copy stuff from your iPhone to Mac (which you probably want to do) and then you should be able to continue as normal. Remember to authorize your new Mac with your iTunes account as well.
    05-17-2011 06:38 AM
    There's also iPhone Explorer and rooting around in the phone's OS... That will definitely allow fetching things off the phone.
    iPhone Explorer doesn't work, but the company's other software does: Pod to Mac. It's $20 to register but you can use it for free. It backs up EVERYTHING... pretty cool
    05-17-2011 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD