I've done dozens of searches but I still appologize if this has been asked and answered.

I'm buying a used Iphone 4 for Vzw on friday off CL. I'm going to call and make sure the ESN is clear of course before buying but how do i go about:

#1 getting the ESN since it doesn't have a removable battery
    #2 Activate it once I have it, can it be done over the phone while im there or only through Itunes.

Thanks alot!
    05-12-2011 02:01 AM
    When you go and get it before you pay the person call VZW they will tell you where to find the ESN on it then they can activate it right there for you. I have had to do similar with other phones and it is easy

Chris
    matttomlan#IM likes this.
    05-12-2011 05:48 AM
    Its in the settings under general and then about. Get the MEID number and give that to the rep. Good luck with the purchase. They will need to have it activated from itunes (not VZW service) at the time of sale, because if it's on the activate from itunes screen you won't be able to get to this info.
    05-12-2011 05:59 AM
    I found this the other day when I was switching my phone over to a friend. When we hooked up itunes after I wiped the phone clean, it kept wanting to activate the iphone on my number. Because it was the number it had last. I actually had to take the phone to the VZW store to have them transfer her number over to it then we could go back and hook itunes up and start with a fresh set up. Kind of starnge but it never asked to set up a new number of any kind. I wonder if you would have that problem as well if you are buying a used device from from someone or ebay if it has a number assigned to it already?

Has anyone else has this issue?
    05-12-2011 11:54 AM
    I said this in another post, safest way is to meet at a Verizon store, not a 3rd party but the actual corporate store. They do it right there in front of you and takes 5 minutes. And if it doesn't work you won't have to worry about the seller trying to rob you or make a big scene. I tried this a few weeks back and the phone was reported lost/stolen. I looked at the guy and said sorry, here is your phone back. I wound up just adding a line later that day just to get the phone.
    05-12-2011 01:50 PM
    The person I'm buying from doesn't drive, Guess I'm just bringing my laptop and going to call Vzw, a combo of itunes and a phone rep should be able to get it active before i leave his house, thanks for the responses guys!
    05-12-2011 06:34 PM
    Good luck!!!!
    05-13-2011 10:14 AM
    The person I'm buying from doesn't drive, Guess I'm just bringing my laptop and going to call Vzw, a combo of itunes and a phone rep should be able to get it active before i leave his house, thanks for the responses guys!
    If you have an online My Verizon account then you can just put in the esn yourself under activate a device. The main thing is, they must have activated it completely on the line they upgraded or started the line with. You won't be able to activate on any other line until that happens, then activate their old phone or another phone and put the VIP on your line.
    05-13-2011 12:01 PM
    Well to update:

First guy gave me the ESN so i could check it on my way over to save time, found out it was still associated with another account and couldn't be activated, after i mentioned it to him he stopped returning my texts.

Tonight i found another person who easily agreed to meet me at a Verizon store, went through everything there, no activation charges or anything it was very smooth.

Moral of the story, meet at a verizon store!
    05-14-2011 01:53 AM
    I bought two ip4v's of Craigslist this month. Had both Sellers meet me at Verizon.
    Verizon reps in store were more than happy to help check out the phone and tell me the brief background on the previous owner. I really made an effort to get to know one of the reps and he gave me his card for future issues and changes. Also previous to this, made a contact online customer service who told me to contact her (email) with any issues. She waived both my Craigslist Vzn activation fees.
    Some of my friends now want help with Craigslist transactions.
    05-14-2011 02:41 AM
    The only thing I found out about buying used iphones that was not real happy with was that the factory warranty does not follow the device from one account to another. The warranty is only good for the account is was purchased on.
    05-14-2011 09:30 AM
    I bought two ip4v's of Craigslist this month. Had both Sellers meet me at Verizon.
    Verizon reps in store were more than happy to help check out the phone and tell me the brief background on the previous owner. I really made an effort to get to know one of the reps and he gave me his card for future issues and changes. Also previous to this, made a contact online customer service who told me to contact her (email) with any issues. She waived both my Craigslist Vzn activation fees.
    Some of my friends now want help with Craigslist transactions.
    There's only an activation fee on new lines in which case I would think you would want the 2 year pricing.
    05-14-2011 01:11 PM
    The only thing I found out about buying used iphones that was not real happy with was that the factory warranty does not follow the device from one account to another. The warranty is only good for the account is was purchased on.
    One thing I forgot to mention was that Vzw let me enroll the phone in their asuron or whatever its called protection for a few bucks a month. They said it was an open enrollment period so I could add it even though it was purchased and used on another line for a few months.
    05-14-2011 07:29 PM
    I've done dozens of searches but I still appologize if this has been asked and answered.

I'm buying a used Iphone 4 for Vzw on friday off CL. I'm going to call and make sure the ESN is clear of course before buying but how do i go about:

#1 getting the ESN since it doesn't have a removable battery
    #2 Activate it once I have it, can it be done over the phone while im there or only through Itunes.

Thanks alot!
    Assuming it's been restored, just follow the on screen instruction for itunes. Once you can slide to unlock, go to phone app dial *228 and follow instructions.
    06-21-2011 08:39 PM
    Does anyone think that maybe the iPhone SHOULD have a removable battery? It would save us users a lot of trouble when attemPting to troubleshoot the iPhone or switching batteries if it goes bad or dead. Idk. I come from blackberry so maybe there are reason for the lack of a removable battery?
    06-21-2011 09:45 PM
    From my experience, you jus need to call 1-800-MYAPPLE or go to a apple store and get the warranty put in your name. However, I don't think VZ stores will still honor it even if you get it put under your name. Google "My Support Profile Apple" and click link, login with apple ID, look at bottom of device list Register Device and follow directions. I still have my OG iPhone listed on there so that probably means no one bothered to register it.
    Google "Buying Used iPhone 4? Warranty?"
    Last edited by VZWiP4; 06-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    06-21-2011 10:23 PM
    I recently traded my Thunderbolt for an iPhone 4 last month. I had the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4 on AT&T so I was spoiled by the battery life. I had the highest insurance plan available on the Thunderbolt and when I switched phones, it automatically adjusted to the $10.99 iPhone insurance plan. I called Asurion to ask if it could actually transfer over to me and they said since I have always had an insurance plan on my line that it could switch over and it would be honored. Does anyone know if this really is true?

06-27-2011 11:58 AM
    I believe so. Plus, I think Verizon has an open enrollment period going on right now, so anyone can add insurance regardless of the phone.
    06-27-2011 05:09 PM
    Well to update:

First guy gave me the ESN so i could check it on my way over to save time, found out it was still associated with another account and couldn't be activated, after i mentioned it to him he stopped returning my texts.

Tonight i found another person who easily agreed to meet me at a Verizon store, went through everything there, no activation charges or anything it was very smooth.

Moral of the story, meet at a verizon store!
    I think the real moral of the story is to find out if the ESN is clean first. All that
    other stuff follows
    06-27-2011 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD