It wasn't that the Storm was that bad... I just got tired of the semi weekly battery pulls and the terrible Netkit. I feel like I'm coming out of the Dark Ages.

A few of questions please:

1. I've been using the VZ Navagator on the Storm which seemed to work really well. Does Verizon offer this for the IPhone as well? ... or is there a better navagation program? I've heard a little about Navagon.

2. I also understand that I can use an app called Backup Assistant which will help port over my contacts.. which are being backed up with Backup Assistant on the Storm... true?

3. Is there anything equilivent to the Visual Voicemail?... I got spoiled as it always seemed to work well.

Thanks for the input...
    05-11-2011 05:21 PM
    1.waze works pretty good and it's free but there are better paid apps out there. I don't think vz navigator is supported.

2.on iPhone backup assistant is called contact transfer, same app same icon and works really well.

3.yes but I can't remember the name
    OMR likes this.
    05-11-2011 05:29 PM
    Try Youmail visual voice mail it's free unless you want your voicemails to be converted onto text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OMR likes this.
    05-11-2011 05:46 PM
    1.waze works pretty good and it's free but there are better paid apps out there. I don't think vz navigator is supported.
    VZ Nav is in the Apple App Store... and if you're used to using that, go for it - otherwise, there are other apps... Garmin, TomTom, Telenav, Navigon - there are plenty of discussions elsewhere here on the pros & cons of various nav apps.
    Last edited by kch50428; 05-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    OMR likes this.
    05-11-2011 06:59 PM
    From what I remember about visual voicemail and the storm the appeal was that message automatically downloaded onto phone and you didnt need to dial into voicemail. iPhone has that built in.
    OMR likes this.
    05-11-2011 09:41 PM
    It wasn't that the Storm was that bad... I just got tired of the semi weekly battery pulls and the terrible Netkit. I feel like I'm coming out of the Dark Ages.

A few of questions please:

1. I've been using the VZ Navagator on the Storm which seemed to work really well. Does Verizon offer this for the IPhone as well? ... or is there a better navagation program? I've heard a little about Navagon.

2. I also understand that I can use an app called Backup Assistant which will help port over my contacts.. which are being backed up with Backup Assistant on the Storm... true?

3. Is there anything equilivent to the Visual Voicemail?... I got spoiled as it always seemed to work well.

Thanks for the input...
    1. Yes ... VZ Navigator I believe is half the price than on any other phone.

2. VZ Contact Transfer is the equivalent in the app store but it is only for the transfer and says it goes away after 30 days.

3. Out of the box the iPhone has Apple Visual Voicemail so you don't need to get any other app for it.
    OMR likes this.
    05-11-2011 10:18 PM
    1. Yes ... VZ Navigator I believe is half the price than on any other phone.

2. VZ Contact Transfer is the equivalent in the app store but it is only for the transfer and says it goes away after 30 days.

3. Out of the box the iPhone has Apple Visual Voicemail so you don't need to get any other app for it.
    1. Unfortunately, you have to pay for a decent voice nav app. Hopefully, Apple does include something in the next iOS.

2. I used the VZ Contract Transfer for the initial transfer and then started using Google Sync. I found this to be the easiest to maintain and access after the initial setup.

3. Don't use visual voicemail, but as someone had mentioned Youmail, I've heard of this before and might suggest you look into it.
    OMR likes this.
    05-12-2011 07:43 PM
    I came over from the Storm as well and have no regrets. VZ navigator is avaialble, but is not the expanded version that we had with the Storm - some features are missing. However, it still works well.
    OMR likes this.
    05-12-2011 09:20 PM
    I came over from the Storm as well and have no regrets. VZ navigator is avaialble, but is not the expanded version that we had with the Storm - some features are missing. However, it still works well.
    I've been a Garmin Nuvi user - and when I got my hands on a full version of VZ-Nav on a phone, I found that to be sorely lacking. Only with the latest version of Navigon on a cell phone has the usability of an app on a phone began to compare to a Nuvi.
    OMR likes this.
    05-12-2011 10:04 PM
    1. Unfortunately, you have to pay for a decent voice nav app. Hopefully, Apple does include something in the next iOS.
    I don't mind waze as far as doing it on the cheap and I have a Storm and Droid X as a reference point for good and bad navigation. The waze community feature can be nice.

Yes, it would be nice if Apple gives us the navigation and few other features I miss from my Storm and Droid X.
    OMR likes this.
    05-12-2011 11:03 PM

Thanks for the input...
    The iPhone started visual voicemail in 2007, you can thank Apple that your Storm ever even had it in the first place.
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 08:46 AM
    I use MapQuest for my navigation. I haven't had a problem with it yet and it always seems accurate. The best part...it's free in the app store.
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 10:04 AM

1: Yes, you can download VZ Navigator as well as a lot of other navigation apps.

2: Yes, Backup Assistant puts your contacts/#s onto the Verizon server for free. Then when you get your iPhone, you download the app and voila, they're on your iPhone. Or, if you're buying it from a store they will swap all your contacts for you.

3: Yes, Visual Voicemail is the default voicemail system for the iPhone. It costs nothing extra, it's part of your iPhone.
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 10:49 AM
    I've been using the VZ Navagator on the Storm which seemed to work really well. Does Verizon offer this for the IPhone as well? ... or is there a better navagation program? I've heard a little about Navagon.
    Better is always subjective. What makes a nav app "better" or "worse" in your opinion? What are your must-haves? Do you need/want locally stored maps? Budget?

I use MapQuest for my navigation. I haven't had a problem with it yet and it always seems accurate.
    Accuracy is determined by the GPS receiver (or alternate method of determining your location) -- not the GPS app.

I also understand that I can use an app called Backup Assistant which will help port over my contacts.. which are being backed up with Backup Assistant on the Storm... true?
    Do you not have an account that you'll be syncing with your iPhone? If so, migrate your contacts to that account (if they're not already there).

Try Youmail visual voice mail it's free unless you want your voicemails to be converted onto text
    No fee for VM transcription with Google Voice.

The iPhone started visual voicemail in 2007, you can thank Apple that your Storm ever even had it in the first place.
    Neither here nor there. There are technologies that Apple uses that it didn't pioneer.
    Last edited by briareus; 05-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 12:55 PM
    That's the one thing I hate about forums. Many people are so helpful but there are those fanboys out there that have to jump in and clog up the conversation. They did this or that. Who cares. Answer the questions and move on.
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 01:33 PM
    Thanks for the answers.. helped a lot. I'm having sooo much fun with the IPhone. It's like a got a new toy....errrrr, tool.... at least that's what I tell my wife. Honey, it's a tool that I needed.
    05-13-2011 03:04 PM
    That gets me out of alot of trouble with mine too
    OMR likes this.
    05-13-2011 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD