Mini-USB: Something i never understood

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Why is it that people blast the iDevices for lack of the "standardized mini-usb port"? I took a look at the 30-pin Dock Connector wiring diagram.

Apple iPod, iPhone (2g, 3g), iPad Dock connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

USB Data (for sync)
Firewire Data (likely legacy tech)
Charging
Stereo Analog Audio Out
Stereo Analog Audio In
Composite Video Out
Component Video Out
VGA Output
HDMI Output

Apparently Dell has a connector like this as well for the Streak, but appears to have added USB 3 and DisplayPort as the replacement for FireWire, while still supporting USB2 as well.

What can a mini-usb port do? Charge and sync.

I for one like these all in one cables.

Last edited:

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe, and forgive me if i am wrong, that the dell streak mini usb supports the following from your list:
Stereo Analog Audio Out
Stereo Analog Audio In
Composite Video Out
Component Video Out
VGA Output
HDMI Output

Perhaps the composite/component video may not be that big of a problem to implement but I cannot see HD picture streaming from a mini USB port.

Also, and dont quote me on this, the EU has made it a standard for future mobile devices to have mini USB ports. This was obviously not applied to apple because their dock connector supports all these services which the mini USB port wont.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
There was some sort of EU decision recently that all phones need to be sold with a way to charge via micro USB. There was discussion at the time that apple would just include a dock to micro USB adapter to comply with it. I wouldn't mind having one of those.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe, and forgive me if i am wrong, that the dell streak mini usb supports the following from your list:
Stereo Analog Audio Out
Stereo Analog Audio In
Composite Video Out
Component Video Out
VGA Output
HDMI Output

Perhaps the composite/component video may not be that big of a problem to implement but I cannot see HD picture streaming from a mini USB port.

Also, and dont quote me on this, the EU has made it a standard for future mobile devices to have mini USB ports. This was obviously not applied to apple because their dock connector supports all these services which the mini USB port wont.

Dell Streak's "proprietary" connector is actually PDMI

PDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What can a mini-usb port do? Charge and sync.

I for one like these all in one cables.
Every option has pros and cons. Mini USB is a universal standard. The dock connector isn't. Use what works for you. Why does it matter what others think or prefer?

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Every option has pros and cons. Mini USB is a universal standard. The dock connector isn't. Use what works for you. Why does it matter what others think or prefer?

Thats just it. The whole idea of it being a standard. It may be a universal standard, but it is not really used all that universally.

All my digital cameras have MicroUSB. My friends Motorola feature phone uses mini-USB, my girlfriends Samsung phone uses a usb connector that is thinner and wider than Micro-USB, my MyFi uses another oddball micro-USB shape.

People can like what they like, but my question is "why do you like it or want it on these devices, compared to a single all-in-one cable solution". A cellphone only has so much real-estate, so a single multipurpose connector makes perfect sense.

Either way, the cable still outputs to the complete standard USB plug, so thats really as "standard" as it needs to be on that end.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a uNu external battery/case which is also a dock, and the connection from my computer to the uNu is a USB micro connector. I can charge and sync my iPhone 3GS through the USB when it is in the case, so I guess that Apple could use a micro USB port with no problems.

p2kart

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the functions the 30 pin dock connect gives, but for a regular user of the iphone most are unnecessary...

I need sync and charge...

I went on a trip before where I forgot my dock cable... it would be nice to walk into a dollar store and pick up a mini-usb cable. Instead I had to buy a really overpriced dock cable for just charging the phone.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the functions the 30 pin dock connect gives, but for a regular user of the iphone most are unnecessary...

I need sync and charge...

I went on a trip before where I forgot my dock cable... it would be nice to walk into a dollar store and pick up a mini-usb cable. Instead I had to buy a really overpriced dock cable for just charging the phone.

To me this is really the issue. They have used the same Apple 30pin for years, and with as popular as the iDevices are, the simple replacement cables are like twice as much as if you had to buy a mini or mico USB. I get it, the iDevices are a premium product, but, really, its just a cable. If we could just get to Mini, Micro, and the 30 pin to cover 98% of cell phones and the like, in a similar price range, I think that would be a step forward. Just my $0.02