Camera Lens

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I'm not big on cases at all. I don't like the trend, how they take away from the design of the phone, the added size or the fact that I have to take it on and off to get my phone into my armband when running and at the gym.

However, I have a concern. I've have my 4 since the Verizon release and am starting to notice small scratches on my camera lens. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm concerned that it will eventually lead to bad picture quality.

Any thoughts? I suppose I could start using the bumper I have to stop the damage but would rather not. How does everyone think this will eventually affect the camera quality?

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you, I don't like cases, take very good care of my phone, but have noticed a couple of small scratches on the lens cover. I have no scratches anywhere else on the phone, only on the lens cover. After a couple of months I have noticed no degradation of picture/video quality at all. I considered starting to use a case so I don't mess up my camera, but then I decided that IF any of the small scratches start affecting my picture quality, I will just go to an Apple store and have them fix it. It might cost me $100, not sure, but at that point I will have learned a lesson and will probably start protecting my phone a little more. But for now, I enjoy not using a case and have not had a compelling reason to start using one. No screen protector either.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, glad to hear that someone else has a similar situation. The back casing of mine is pretty scratched up but I don't really car about that. I just hope that camera quality isn't ruined since this device takes pretty decent shots.

Can anyone suggest the least intrusive case? What's the thinnest, smallest and least noticeable? The bumper isn't too bad and probably my best option at this point. Would just like to find something thin enough that would fit in my armband sleeve.

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Picture quality won't be effected, I forgot the site but I saw pictures taken with a shattered lens on a camera and you couldn't tell in the picture.

Reactions: rws381

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Picture quality won't be effected, I forgot the site but I saw pictures taken with a shattered lens on a camera and you couldn't tell in the picture.

Thanks. I don't understand how that could be possible but it's good to hear. I thought for sure after continued scratching the picture quality would decrease.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Incase snap on is my favorite case since it's so minimalistic. I just run with a full body shield from Ghost Armor on my phone.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I could start using the bumper I have to stop the damage but would rather not. How does everyone think this will eventually affect the camera quality?
Does the bumper actually cover the lens? I've never looked at them closely enough but they don't seem like they would.

Scratches on the lens will affect image quality. Whether you notice or not is an entirely separate matter. A major reason why DSLR's produce better images in general is that they have far better optics. The optics do matter.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Does the bumper actually cover the lens? I've never looked at them closely enough but they don't seem like they would.

They don't protect the lens by covering it in any way but they add enough around the edges to keep the back and the lens off of the table or counter that the phone is places on.

I guess it, or any other part of the phone, could still get messed up in a pocket or purse that has other stuff in it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711