Blackberry User of 7 years Switches to the iPhone 4

SealTeam6

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to the forum (hope this is in the right place). I have been a Blackberry user for 7 years now and my last two BBs the Tour and the Storm 2 were quite awful and so far behind that times that when I heard I could get Lotus Notes on the iPhone I made the switch.

So far I really love the phone...the only downsides I can see are slower email, 360 degrees of glass and a non-modular battery.

Anyways, I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully I can make a positive contribution to the forum.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. I came from a BB too and my BB Curve 8330 was a very solid phone that got great battery life, had great push notifications and notification system but was really showing it's age.

The iphone's email and notification is pretty horrid compared to BB's and battery life has to be closely monitored as well, but everything else is like day and night compared to the BB.

DonNguyen#IM

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
i dont think the battery life is as bad as everyone says...consider what you're running on your iphone and think about how it'd affect the battery life on a BB...pretty standard

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

For the slower email thing, if you set up your Gmail (if you use it) or other exchange-based email through the Microsoft Exchange setup on your phone you will have the same kind of instant push that you are used to with your Blackberry. Other email providers though not so much unless they're forwarded through a Gmail set up in that way :(

Bob_B

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
From one ex fellow BB user to another....Welcome to the Dark Side...try the punch, hahaha. Slower emails???? Mine are actually faster now. Love the phone, onlu thing I miss is profiles, but there are ways around that.

Bob

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i dont think the battery life is as bad as everyone says...consider what you're running on your iphone and think about how it'd affect the battery life on a BB...pretty standard

I agree. My iPhone 4 gets the same day and a half out of a charge as my Blackberry Bold does.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

SealTeam6

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

For the slower email thing, if you set up your Gmail (if you use it) or other exchange-based email through the Microsoft Exchange setup on your phone you will have the same kind of instant push that you are used to with your Blackberry. Other email providers though not so much unless they're forwarded through a Gmail set up in that way :(

I can use Gmail through the MSFT exchange setup? Interesting. On my Blackberry I had to pay an extra $10 a month for the enterprise email will that be the same if I use Gmail through MSFT exchange?

Also is there a tutorial somewhere? What do I enter in for "sever" ("smtp.gmail.com" ?) and "domain"?

Last edited:

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Said goodbye to my BB's a while back too! I read a lot before switching and was wondering if the things that the OP mentioned were going to be a big problem. In all honesty, the iPhone is such a joy to use and there is actually nothing about the BB that I miss! I don't really know why some people complain about the email as mine seems to come through no slower than my BB email. Each one has different needs or preferences I guess, not sure! Have never been sorry I made the switch to iPhone!!

SealTeam6

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Due to the placement of the cdma antenna, the volume and silent switch have been moved just slightly. Some cases will work, some will not.

Without a case do you have to hold the phone upside down to get signal or is that just the GSM model?

I didnt even know blackberry had been around for 7 years lol

They have been around longer than that. My first one was a Blue 7200 with a scroll wheel and a really terrible color screen.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Without a case do you have to hold the phone upside down to get signal or is that just the GSM model?

I've had no problems at all getting a signal with my phone right side up since I got in in February. Looks like that one might have been solved with the slight antenna move.

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
i'm wondering if the Playbook (once properly updated with native email and apps)... and the recently announced Touch Bold 9900/9930 will sway some BB users back... ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods