iPhone 4 review from a droid user

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
So I had a 3GS, got fed up with AT&T and went back to Verizon on a Droid about a year ago. At first I hated Android. But I loved the fact that I could make phone calls and justify the $30/month data fees.

The plan was always to return to the iPhone, I was planning on getting the 5, but I got suckered in with the white iPhone 4. I'm also trying to rationalize my purchace with the following- 1) iOS 5 will have bugs. 2) iCloud will have bugs. Will we have to pay more for iCloud stuff?

Anyways, back to the review

Hardware- both are solidily made. But there is a difference. The Droid is tougher- I've dropped it, thrown it in bags, basically treated it like a dumbphone. Bulletproof. With the iPhone 4? I'm babying this. But I think it also has to do with how it looks as well- the Droid is just another phone, the iPhone has always had something special to it, especially the white one.

Going back to iOS, it's all very familiar. But I do miss the free GPS, widgets, and live wallpapers. But I love the apps on iOS. iOS is butter smooth... unlike my stock Froyo build. The notifications are lame on iOS. I miss the notification bar and miss the caledar widget. But it's all old hat to me. Both OSs are fine- you say tomayto, I say tomahto.

On the Droid, if you hold down the power button, you are presented with a menu with 4 options- silent, airplane mode, power off, and something else. I always put my phone on airplane mode- traveling (it's safer and saves battery life), and certain places where I work, I get no signal, so I might as well put it on airplane mode.

Retina display- To me, it's the same quality as the Droid. But what I like about the iPhone is that you can adjust the brightness better- larger range.

The funny thing was I tried to make a call in a part of work today that had I know the signal is weak. I tried calling and got a "called failed" and "could not activate cellular network"... I had a flashback to AT&T service and for a second thought about returning this for a Captivate or Thunderbolt. Then I made a call- crystal clear. It blew my mind away- an iPhone making a call! Accessing the internet without that stupid indicator twirling away not doing anything!

I think I get a bit of the deathgrip on this.

Case wise, I don't know what to do- if it were a black one, I'd slap a bumper or case and be done with it. But I love this white iPhone. I'm thinking about just putting a film on it... I'll have to see what options they have at the apple store tomorrow. Right now I still have the original plastic sticker on the back. Even with the 3GS, I had issues with putting on a case. I bought one and then used it intermittently.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i came from a fascinate back to the verizon iphone...

my major issue is, as i have a mission critical job, and my phone is a good part of the critical-ness of my job, i needed a phone that could be a toy for the down time, and yet, when i need to make a call in the heat of the moment, it would work.

far too often, the phone calls would fail on the fascinate due to software issues, and at times would fail to HANG UP due to software issues... if this occurred once, it was too much. as far as the iPhone. Fascinate vs the ViP, both are Verizon, so essentially equal in cell coverage, i've misconnected far less calls on the ViP, and when i hang up, it hangs up.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
i came from a fascinate back to the verizon iphone...

my major issue is, as i have a mission critical job, and my phone is a good part of the critical-ness of my job, i needed a phone that could be a toy for the down time, and yet, when i need to make a call in the heat of the moment, it would work.

far too often, the phone calls would fail on the fascinate due to software issues, and at times would fail to HANG UP due to software issues... if this occurred once, it was too much. as far as the iPhone. Fascinate vs the ViP, both are Verizon, so essentially equal in cell coverage, i've misconnected far less calls on the ViP, and when i hang up, it hangs up.

My phone would sometimes randomly call people. Another pet peeve that I've noticed that has gone away is the proximity sensor- my cheek would hangup while I was in the middle of a call a lot. Are you sure it's the software and not the proximity sensor?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Droid X to the iphone- While i do miss some of the customization that the droid allowed- I do not miss the OS- Android is no where near as stable as IOS- I dont have to pull a battery- when an app freezes on the iphone- it force closes itself. Also the battery life blows android away. thats just my take- thats why there are many phone choices out there...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone would sometimes randomly call people. Another pet peeve that I've noticed that has gone away is the proximity sensor- my cheek would hangup while I was in the middle of a call a lot. Are you sure it's the software and not the proximity sensor?

I think the random calling bug went away some time ago after one of the software updates. That was definitely annoying before they fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

prchoudh#IM

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Former DROIDX customer

Bought the white Iphone Friday. Love the phone and everything about it. Hated the OS on the DROIDx. I would constantly have to pull the battery out.

I do miss the Facebook widgets and some of the customization on the DROID. However the battery life was horrible even with the extended battery. I have no regrets. The only regret that I have is that I cannot spend all the time I need going through the Itunes store. :(

brokenartist

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the iTunes store is pretty amazing. Just read through the Top 5 apps sticky and you will see a lot of what different people use.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm os agnostic in the last two years I've had the iPhone 3G and 3GS, the palm pre minus, bb bold, bb tour, hero, g1, droid x, nexus one, nokia n96, e71. Out of all those webos is the best!!!! But has no apps and **** hardware. Android is a mess but functional as a Swiss army knife. I always come back to iOS it is the easiest to live with day in and day out. Apple by far makes the best hardware software combo.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm os agnostic in the last two years I've had the iPhone 3G and 3GS, the palm pre minus, bb bold, bb tour, hero, g1, droid x, nexus one, nokia n96, e71. Out of all those webos is the best!!!! But has no apps and **** hardware. Android is a mess but functional as a Swiss army knife. I always come back to iOS it is the easiest to live with day in and day out. Apple by far makes the best hardware software combo.

Amen to that... I was actually pretty interested in Windows Mobile 7- that looked pretty cool to me. But I love my white iPhone.

I got a white bumper- love it. I think I'll order the power support crystal films...

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a few threads about the Droid X and iPhone battery life and my experience is the opposite. Same sort of use where I turn off WiFi and location with both phones and the Droid X has more juice at the end of a day.

The more mature app market is a nice apple feature but I do miss some Droid X features. I get the iPhone popularity in many levels because many people will not tweak an Android phone to make it right for them.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The more mature app market is a nice apple feature but I do miss some Droid X features. I get the iPhone popularity in many levels because many people will not tweak an Android phone to make it right for them.

I agree with you here. I didn't even try to Root my HTC Inspire 4G as the instructions for doing so were a lot more complicated than jailbreaking my iPhone 4. Although, the Inspire had a lot of the features right out of the box that I had to jailbreak my iPhone 4 to get....

drtnsnw

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a droid Incredible. Just bought my wife an iPhone4. Reason being, she needs a dumb smartphone and I don't want to spend all my time making her phone work for her. The only real advantage I have seen in her phone is the battery. It is full on twice the life as my Dinc!

The thing I HATE is that apple thinks they are smarter than all of us and we should follow what they give us like lemmings. The Dinc is totally customizable and does what I want. I can access setting at EACH program and make adjustments as needed. Her iphone I have to search out what little adjustments I can do.

I get very frustrated with her phone. Guess that is all good though because she loves it and that's all that matters

Chris

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Thing is the iPhone does all the functions of a modern smartphone most people never change settings or need to. I have used every OS except windows phone 7. I can't think of anything significant and legal that android can do that iPhone can't.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Few more thoughts regarding the switch

-the lack of the green light that flashes telling me I have a message on the iPhone is both infuriating and a relief. I can't tell by looking at the iPhone if I have a message or not. But at the same time, I can put my phone in front of me in a meeting and not have that blinking light driving me crazy

-the iPhone brings out the OCD in me- I'm worrying about scratching it, what happens if it falls, etc. The droid? Don't care. I don't do "will it blend" tests on it, but it's not a worry for me to have a case, fret over a scratch, etc.

-battery life- the iPhone simply destroys my Droid. Simply amazing.

-the lack of lag on iOS is amazing

-I had such a bad experience with AT&T that I still am amazed that I can make calls and use the internet on it.

-the app store is brilliant. easy to find things and so may great apps.

-keypad is about 532 times better than the Droid's. In fact the touchscreen is far better than Droids.

-the google apps & widgets are missed

-the lack of flash? I had it turned off on my droid. Not really an issue.

-I like Android's spell check better.

-notifications are annoying.

Overall though, I am extremely thrilled with my WViP4. This is what the iPhone should be like- not an iPod touch with AT&T service.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of anything significant and legal that android can do that iPhone can't.

Notifications for one. I use the LockInfo app from Cydia to add them to my lockscreen. Android users don't have to do this. Also, widgets are a plus on Android. You can add a contact right to the home screen and press it when you want to call someone in a hurry. You can't do that with iOS.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thing is the iPhone does all the functions of a modern smartphone most people never change settings or need to. I have used every OS except windows phone 7. I can't think of anything significant and legal that android can do that iPhone can't.

Some that come to mind follow but I confess I'm selling one of my Android or Blackberry phones and sticking with the Apple because of a particular app that makes my business easier.

-Long press dial pad for speed dial
-Navigation from location fields in appointments
-Widgets for fast control of WiFi, radio
-Not married to iTunes
-Superior browser
-Hardware choice

There are also iPhone features I like that compensate for what I don't like and I suppose my iPad 2 takes care of the dinky screen size.

:)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Wait you honestly think android's browser is superior?

I like tabs and it is hard to call a browser that won't load a site superior. It's not often but I will encounter a site where Flash stops me. It's not a problem for personal use but has been for work.

It does not mean I'm selling my iPhone, iPad or Apple stock today or tomorrow. I'm just not the sort who would be lined up at the Apple Store if they added some cuteness to hammers and toilets and started selling the iSlam or iFlush.

:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox