iPhone 4 review from a droid user

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Got moms an iPhone for mothers day and added a another line to the parent's account so I could picked one up for myself just to use for a week or two. Even jail broken this phone is so boring and restrictive. The hardest thing to get over is how everything exist in it's own little isolated app. It is just nonintuitive. What's acceptable on my iPad makes we want to throw the iPhone into a wall. Didn't help that I'm living in a new city and have been using Google Maps/Nav constantly. Everyone suggested Motion X, but Google Nav just dumps all over it. I'll keep the iPhone through the weekend just to see if it's a Android bias at play, but I doubt it.

Also, Verizon is expensive as hell for family use.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Got moms an iPhone for mothers day and added a another line to the parent's account so I could picked one up for myself just to use for a week or two. Even jail broken this phone is so boring and restrictive. The hardest thing to get over is how everything exist in it's own little isolated app. It is just nonintuitive. What's acceptable on my iPad makes we want to throw the iPhone into a wall. Didn't help that I'm living in a new city and have been using Google Maps/Nav constantly. Everyone suggested Motion X, but Google Nav just dumps all over it. I'll keep the iPhone through the weekend just to see if it's a Android bias at play, but I doubt it.

Also, Verizon is expensive as hell for family use.

You're right about the quality of Android navigation (I have Droid X too).

You might want to try waze if you don't want to buy a navigation product. I like it much more than the free MapQuest. You should check what it's about first because the community aspect might be something you like or don't like.

You can make the iPhone more suitable if you keep settings handy.

You might also want to make sure you know how you can play audio via double press when locked, what the head phone mic buttons do. Also give it time.

It won't be an Android phone. Getting a new phone for a power users can be like a date where it takes a few weeks of digging deep to decide if you're in love or not.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The hardest thing to get over is how everything exist in it's own little isolated app. It is just nonintuitive for me.

There, fixed it for you.

Quite a few people find the iPhone very, very intuitive... enough so that the few iPhone models out compete evenly in numbers with the plethora of phones running Android. I personally love that everything is in an app... but I like my phone to be organized to the minute detail. To be honest, I can't imagine how something isn't in it's own little app... if you have to tap or click on something to open it, it's exactly the same as an app, essentially. It requires the same amount of effort, that is.

Give it some time. Bring it back the day before your trial is up if you're not happy, but make sure you give yourself time to get adjusted to iOS - you're obviously having trouble making the transition. If you figure it all out and you still don't like it, by all means return it and get a phone that will make you happy :)

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
There, fixed it for you.

Quite a few people find the iPhone very, very intuitive... enough so that the few iPhone models out compete evenly in numbers with the plethora of phones running Android. I personally love that everything is in an app... but I like my phone to be organized to the minute detail. To be honest, I can't imagine how something isn't in it's own little app... if you have to tap or click on something to open it, it's exactly the same as an app, essentially. It requires the same amount of effort, that is.

See that's the thing. On Android apps, widgets and the OS are all tied together. I get instant and plentiful info from my widgets and the ability to control an application without opening the application, but clicking inside of the widget takes me into the app. With multimedia and other files, long clicking or selecting options gives me pretty much every available option on the phone for utilizing that media. For example, I can go into the call log and see that a contact has called me. From there I can see that persons facebook postings, or choose to navigate to their address which takes me straight into navigation, I can see their past emails, tweets, etc. Why is there no way to access my camera app from within the photo app on iOS? Why can't I select a picture then choose to send it to dropbox, flickr, photobucket, etc...? Here is one picture that I access from my photo gallery on Android. Look at the options available for what I want to do with it, and thats just the share menu.

snap20110505_231955.png

That type of integration is sorely missed on iOS. Also, I can't tell you how cramped this screen is coming from a 4.3. My Evo is not that much wider, thicker or longer, but using the iphone is like going back down to a 17 inch monitor when I've been using a 24 inch for the past year.

People say that Android users are cheap, but i think its just that we are spoiled. I needed a wifi tether app and was taken aback by the cost of the options in Cydia. I'm using MyWi free trial right now. On Android the best wireless tethering app is free and more robust. I couldn't believe I was limited to WEP security in MyWi, and found no way to setup up MAC controls. Wireless Tether is free on Android and offers WPA2-PSK along with MAC access control.

Don't even get me started on the notification situation, lack of toggle for settings and voice input options. iOS is like a trophy wife that looks good but is horrible in the bed and can't hold a conversation, while Android is pretty, but a little rough around the edges. Her intellect runs deep and she is a freak in the bed. She even invites her friends to join in to ensure all your needs are met, yet still you can mold her however you like until she is just right for you and will let you give her a complete facelift when you want something different.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me giving up the widgets that drained the battery and created instability was an easy trade off for a solid os that does what I need it to when I need it to.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
See that's the thing. On Android apps, widgets and the OS are all tied together. I get instant and plentiful info from my widgets and the ability to control an application without opening the application, but clicking inside of the widget takes me into the app. With multimedia and other files, long clicking or selecting options gives me pretty much every available option on the phone for utilizing that media. For example, I can go into the call log and see that a contact has called me. From there I can see that persons facebook postings, or choose to navigate to their address which takes me straight into navigation, I can see their past emails, tweets, etc. Why is there no way to access my camera app from within the photo app on iOS? Why can't I select a picture then choose to send it to dropbox, flickr, photobucket, etc...? Here is one picture that I access from my photo gallery on Android. Look at the options available for what I want to do with it, and thats just the share menu.

snap20110505_231955.png

That type of integration is sorely missed on iOS. Also, I can't tell you how cramped this screen is coming from a 4.3. My Evo is not that much wider, thicker or longer, but using the iphone is like going back down to a 17 inch monitor when I've been using a 24 inch for the past year.

People say that Android users are cheap, but i think its just that we are spoiled. I needed a wifi tether app and was taken aback by the cost of the options in Cydia. I'm using MyWi free trial right now. On Android the best wireless tethering app is free and more robust. I couldn't believe I was limited to WEP security in MyWi, and found no way to setup up MAC controls. Wireless Tether is free on Android and offers WPA2-PSK along with MAC access control.

Don't even get me started on the notification situation, lack of toggle for settings and voice input options. iOS is like a trophy wife that looks good but is horrible in the bed and can't hold a conversation, while Android is pretty, but a little rough around the edges. Her intellect runs deep and she is a freak in the bed. She even invites her friends to join in to ensure all your needs are met, yet still you can mold her however you like until she is just right for you and will let you give her a complete facelift when you want something different.

A reminder of how I miss the Wave Launcher app on my Android phone but I'm still sure I'm sticking with the iPhone because of the way my time and billing synchronizes between the iPhone/Pad and QuickBooks.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I too just switched from a DINC to an iphone 4, and so far am pretty excited, though currently I can't really do much, I am waiting for all my music to transfer on iTunes. I am already in love with the speed and battery life though. Was sitting in Starbucks (gotta hit the happy hour) and playing with everything to set it up, and in an hour, lost only 5% I think. The DINC was also being used to look up sites, and lost about 25-30%. I never was much of a widget user and think I will be very happy with the change.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

snap20110505_231955.png

Ah, I understand what you mean. I was thinking you didn't like things being in apps, like, just being a big menu or something... I don't know XD

I understand your pain. It's the one thing I truly miss from my BlackBerry. Seriously though, it's the ONLY thing haha. Oh, and BBM. But it's a biggie :/

bbdec1

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Droid X to iPhone

I am a longtime Verizon "Slave"(--once you are a customer, you're a customer for life) who drooled for an iPhone on Verizon. I first tried the Storm, then the Droid, then the Droid X before getting my iPhone last week.

I loved the iPod Touch I have and figured the phone would just be a combination of the two. WRONG. I loved Android for the tweaking ability and for the apps--If I didn't like it, I could always uninstall it. I hated the X for the lag and the battery pulls needed to keep it up--and the 5 handsets I had due to glass malfunctions (bubble between the glasses) but I attribute it to Motorola rather than Android.
I loved the X for what it could do and the wide latitude I had with replacing stock items like messaging (Handcent) and the Moto Blur home (Launcher Pro) and email (K9) and the awesome Vlingo App that blows the iPhone version out of the water. I also miss Cardio Trainer that was not only free but using the GPS allowed me to track my workouts and kept a history. I also personally liked Google Navigation which allowed me to walk, drive, or take public transportation routes.
Still the iPhone does seem to be every bit as good as my iPod is and I am sure once I learn the tweaks I am allowed by Apple to make, and the Apps that come close to my Android favorites I will like it a lot more.
Three things I feel Apple does awfully are: 1. Syncing between my Outlook and iPhone for contacts: Each contact has seperate entries for email, phone, mail address so my 377 contacts are now 1066 in the iPhone: 2. I want to set profiles for my phone such as bedtime, where only phone rings and no notifications; Meeting,where only vibration notifications are and Normal, where all notifications are 100% + vibration. and different notification ringtones for each email account, texts and facebook, etc; 3. Allow me to use a different stock app for email, messaging and navigation or allow more customizations for them.
One last pet peeve--Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with old email continually coming back even after I delete it?