verizon iphone questions

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I am looking to switch soon to iphone and have a few questions coming from android droid x.

1. Can you stream podcast like google listen(3g or wifi)?

2. Pandora work on 3g?

3. Instant sync with google contacts, email calendar? Apps for this if not native?

4. Gtask app that will sync?

5. I know there is no turn by turn app for iphone yet so what do you guys use for navigation? Can you still use google maps and see yourself real time?

Any articles on going from android to apple you can point me too would be great.

thanks

kpxstar9

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to switch soon to iphone and have a few questions coming from android droid x.

2. Pandora work on 3g?

3. Instant sync with google contacts, email calendar? Apps for this if not native?

5. I know there is no turn by turn app for iphone yet so what do you guys use for navigation? Can you still use google maps and see yourself real time?

Any articles on going from android to apple you can point me too would be great.

thanks

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Not sure
5. I use navigon. Not sure about google maps

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

2. Pandora work on 3g?

thanks

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes .. native, add as exchange server setup.
4. I would assume not sure since I don't use it.
5. Google maps will show you real time location but no turn by turn voice.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
There are a few different Google Tasks apps in the market that will sync up just fine.

Coming from an Evo, it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the iphone, things are different, and you will lose some things like the Google Navigation which I really miss. There is a MapQuest mobile app that provides turn-by-turn navigation similar to google, but it is not nearly as good. I have not tried Navigon which I hear is great, but costs $25+.

The iphone has a lot to offer, and the biggest thing for me is app selection and quality. The apps really are better on iphone. I have only had one app crash on me, otherwise everything functions perfect.

As for Pandora, yes, you can listen on 3G no problem. However, I recommend Slacker Radio. Not only do they have more/better features and better song selection, but if you choose a paid membership you get a lot more features like station caching (saves your battery) which stores 100 songs from each cached station to your phone for listening even with no signal. Slacker's up-coming release will include on-demand listening/caching for $10/mo. Create playlists of your favorite songs to listen to whenever you want, and also download them to your device to listen any time. Pretty sweet

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
Thanks guys. I am switching for several reasons.
Everybody tells me iPhone has better battery life then my droid x with extended battery.:). I also own an iMac,iPad and touch. I was hesitant on switching to iPhone everybody keeps saying there are more free apps on android but are they quality? I found my x getting so slow with 150 apps that I had to hard reset to get it to run fast again. Mulit tasking is over hyped it just burns battery and slows the machine down.couple other reasons for switching are same cables for everybody to use. Shared iOS apps, small physical size. I am sick of the big phone feel never watch movies etc for the big screen. I just need the same apps or similar for iPhone and I will be happy. 90 percent of the time my phone is for calks and texting imagine that!:D

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Everybody tells me iPhone has better battery life then my droid x with extended battery.:).

I have both phones and my Droid X has more battery left in a typical work day.

I don't need the GPS on for remote location or wipe with the Droid X but the find my phone from Apple requires that.

That doesn't mean keep your X, but do remember to be ready to charge your iPHone and you can't put another battery in it in a matter of moments.

Typing on an iPhone is lame compared to the Android options but the iPhone display quality helps with use. I confess that iPhone use is easier for me because I use iPad too and my accounting app syncs between them. The superior navigation, contacts and calendar with big screen would make me think twice if I didn't have my iPad too.

If you're a podcast/netcast addict the player right from locked phone is a nice iPhone feature.

This one might only be important for my profession (net/sys engineer), but iPhone tethers and does hotspot.

There are no rights or wrongs here but battery life would be a last reason for me to move to an iPhone.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Everybody tells me iPhone has better battery life then my droid x with extended battery.:). I also own an iMac,iPad and touch. I was hesitant on switching to iPhone everybody keeps saying there are more free apps on android but are they quality? I found my x getting so slow with 150 apps that I had to hard reset to get it to run fast again. Mulit tasking is over hyped it just burns battery and slows the machine down.couple other reasons for switching are same cables for everybody to use. Shared iOS apps, small physical size. I am sick of the big phone feel never watch movies etc for the big screen. I just need the same apps or similar for iPhone and I will be happy. 90 percent of the time my phone is for calks and texting imagine that!:D

I came from the X, DINC, and OG DROID. I do miss the google navigation but that is it. The iPhone is SO smooth and never freezes or lags for me. I've had it for almost three weeks and am very happy with my decision. Gmail, contacts, and calendar work fine with exchange. Don't use the gmail app in mail because it won't import your contacts and/or calendar. Can't remember if it's one or the other or both. I highly recommend the switch to iPhone. Hope it works well for your needs.

Reactions: tritan

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Also IMO, the battery life is 10 times better on the iPhone. I got so tired of having to worry about ways to conserve my DROID battery. I struggle to drain my battery until it's dead (apple recommends doing 1 time a month).

Reactions: tritan

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I came from the X, DINC, and OG DROID. I do miss the google navigation but that is it. The iPhone is SO smooth and never freezes or lags for me. I've had it for almost three weeks and am very happy with my decision. Gmail, contacts, and calendar work fine with exchange. Don't use the gmail app in mail because it won't import your contacts and/or calendar. Can't remember if it's one or the other or both. I highly recommend the switch to iPhone. Hope it works well for your needs.

I don't have exchange so How would you set that up? If you are streaming podcast what app is there for iphone? I asked apple tonight after getting my Imac back from the shop and he didn't know.

matt

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't have exchange so How would you set that up? If you are streaming podcast what app is there for iphone? I asked apple tonight after getting my Imac back from the shop and he didn't know.

matt

The phone will let you set up Exchange on its own... it's really simple, and Google has released instructions here. This lets you get your gmail pushed, as well as sync contacts and calendars OTA. It's great :D

As far as podcasts go, I had heard a while back that Podcaster is a good app for streaming podcasts, but don't hold me to that as I am not really a podcast kind of person so I have not tried it :D

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Podcaster works really well... I use it all the time...

As for Exchange setup for Gmail (mail, contacts, calendar), all you need to input besides your username/password is m.google.com for the server address... works great... push works as well

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I know there is no turn by turn app for iphone yet so what do you guys use for navigation?
There are plenty of GPS nav apps for the iPhone. I know Navigon and Waze have been mentioned but there's also TomTom, Mapquest, MotionX and others.

If you want any recommendation on any topic then you need to provide your requirements. Budget? Do you need locally stored maps? Other features? If selecting a nav app was a question with a one-size-fits-all answer we'd all use the same nav app. Things are a bit different on Android since Google Maps Nav is stock on most devices and it's free -- though you'd still want to consider an alternative if you had needs that Google Maps Nav could not meet.

Everybody tells me iPhone has better battery life then my droid x with extended battery.:). I also own an iMac,iPad and touch. I was hesitant on switching to iPhone everybody keeps saying there are more free apps on android but are they quality? I found my x getting so slow with 150 apps that I had to hard reset to get it to run fast again. Mulit tasking is over hyped it just burns battery and slows the machine down.
You need to realize that simply comparing devices with regard to battery life and speed are fairly pointless. With Android, your particular usage has a major impact on these things. I have an old Droid that runs smoothly and has excellent battery life. If you can't be bothered to look into how your particular usage affects such things then iOS may be a better option for you. Android and iOS just use different approaches and you need to figure out which one suits you best.

I was hesitant on switching to iPhone everybody keeps saying there are more free apps on android but are they quality?
Some are, some are not. It depends on the specific apps you're talking about. Generalizations about any topic are of limited use. Same thing applies to iOS apps. There are quality apps and there are junk apps.

Typing on an iPhone is lame compared to the Android options but the iPhone display quality helps with use.
I completely disagree but keyboards are highly subjective anyway. I can't stand the virtual keyboard on my Droid. I have no complaints regarding the keyboards on the Touch, IP4 or IP2. Swype makes the Droid bearable.'

Gmail, contacts, and calendar work fine with exchange.
They work fine with ActiveSync. Exchange != ActiveSync and setting up gmail with ActiveSync does not make it Exchange. I know it's common for people to use Exchange, Outlook and ActiveSync interchangeably but they each refer to distinct and separate components. Exchange is a Microsoft email server. ActiveSync is Microsoft's sync solution. Outlook is a desktop email client.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I completely disagree but keyboards are highly subjective anyway. I can't stand the virtual keyboard on my Droid. I have no complaints regarding the keyboards on the Touch, IP4 or IP2. Swype makes the Droid bearable.'

I use SwiftKey with Android. It tops any virtual keyboard I've used via its numeric keypad and predictive typing. It could depend upon how you use your phone but I have to enter numbers a lot and that really helps.

I really wish developers could do or would do more with Apple devices in this realm.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2