Hey guys, first post on TiPb, currently an android user under contract on Verizon. I'm wanting to switch over.

I will be leaving in August to go to Italy for 10 months. I'm having a tough time figuring out the best way to have an iPhone in Italy for my stay. Both the iPhone's (CDMA & GSM; ATT&VZW) have sim card slots correct? When I go over there would it be better just to have the phone and get a plan over there on a compatible network (eg Vodaphone)? Which model would i need for this to work?

I would like to be able to call and text back to the states, but would be doing the majority of my stateside communication via Skype, Facebook, etc over wifi.

Should I go through Verizon or ATT or just buy one new in box, unlock it, and pop a sim in over there?

Never traveled internationally so all help would be appreciated!
    04-18-2011 03:47 PM
    There are a few threads covering this, but your basics:

Only the GSM iPhone has a sim slot (the VZW version does not). There is no CDMA in Europe, so a VZW phone does you no good - nothing to even roam onto.

With AT&T, you could roam (at great expense). If you're unlocked, you can purchase a local sim. If you're only in the looking process and want an unlocked iPhone, you won't be able to purchase one in the US - you could purchase one when you get to Europe though.

Or, you could just use WiFi when it's available, and use Skype for any phone calls you need to make.
    04-18-2011 03:57 PM
    So an AT&T iPhone could not be purchased on eBay then unlocked? I would like to have the phone before I leave. And if possible use it in the US when I return.

I've seen several "unlocked" iPhone's on eBay, I couldn't purchase one of these outright? Are all unlocked iPhone's the same as far as world network compatibility?
    04-18-2011 04:14 PM
    The AT&T iPhone can't be unlocked officially. If you really want to unlock it, read this:

Permanently Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS Using IMEI Unlock Method - Report

Pretty much sums things up.

The better option would be to purchase a factory unlocked iPhone, which is available in certain overseas countries. Those are sold unlocked by Apple, and will never be locked (unlike the above unofficial methods).

And as for your eBay question, yes you could buy one of those outright, but I would recommend that you make sure that it is a factory unlocked version. Not one that some person jailbroke and installed ultrasn0w on. It's much less hassle that way.
    04-18-2011 04:33 PM
    If you can find an unlocked phone from Canada on ebay then you could get that. We have factory unlocked iPhone 4s here so you could buy it and get your microSIM when you get to iTaly. You should check with family, friend if you can that they will have the microSIM where you are going otherwise maybe you'll have to stop of somewhere first to get the microSIM. The problem with getting it on ebay is that you can't see the seller and make sure the phone is in good condition so it's kind of luck of the draw. If this would be an option for you email me(in my profile) I can look locally based on your budget and send it to you.
    04-18-2011 04:49 PM
    If this would be an option for you email me(in my profile) I can look locally based on your budget and send it to you.
    You wouldn't mind doing that? I'm looking to get a factory unlocked iPhone in the future.
    04-18-2011 11:04 PM
    On ebay there appears to be a surplus of brand new factory unlocked iPhone 4's, all starting around $750. This would be ideal right?

Also it says it supports CDMA bands, would this mean it would work on Verizon if I were to go ahead and get it while still in the states?
    05-17-2011 10:19 AM
    If it says factory unlocked and supports CDMA it's a scam. Right now you can get one or the other.
    05-17-2011 11:02 AM
    You wouldn't mind doing that? I'm looking to get a factory unlocked iPhone in the future.
    sorry I didn't catch this for awhile, but sure I'd be willing to help out if you need the help email me and let me know.
    05-17-2011 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD