Is the $49 dollar 3GS...

ring o fire

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
worth getting at this point in the game? Me and the wife are considering the switch...the only reason we're considering the 3GS is that $50 bucks is a hell of a deal.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

**UPDATE**

We got the 3GS' and are super stoked. I want to thank all the folks who put forth their opinions. They were all appreciated.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I got this for my parents over Christmas.

The way I look at it, they don't care about having a "cutting edge" device, they don't care about some of the features that the iPhone 4 has. As such, getting them an iPhone 4 (even if I waited till it reduced in price) wasn't worth it, because most of the features wouldn't be things they wanted to use. They mostly just cared about some basic apps, texting, camera, etc.

Chris

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The 3GS is still a very capable device. If you dont want to do Facetime calls or gotta have the latest and greatest then id say got for it. I actually miss the old rounded shape personally.

ajonesma

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the 3GS about a week ago and I love it! Although I do wish I got the iPhone 4, the 3GS is still very awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Dont do it! look at all the new apps that come out that say iphone 4 , ipad only....why wast the money on a phone they wont even support after 6 more months with updates? If you plan on keeping it 2 years and renewing contract you will be sorry...no contract go for it!

Reactions: Msvoluptous#IM

ring o fire

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Dont do it! look at all the new apps that come out that say iphone 4 , ipad only....why wast the money on a phone they wont even support after 6 more months with updates? If you plan on keeping it 2 years and renewing contract you will be sorry...no contract go for it!

Can you give me an example of all these new apps?

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me an example of all these new apps?

There are enough apps for the 3GS to keep you happy and busy for a millennium. For every iPhone 4 only app that comes out, there are a dozen that are for all iPhones. The reason an app is for iPhone 4 only is because it uses features only available on the iPhone 4. If you don't need cutting edge technology, FaceTime or the Retina display, go for the 3GS. Yes, it's old, but it still works just fine (even if you sign a 2-year contract.) By then, the iPhone 4 will be $49, and you just go for it.

BTW I have a 3GS that I bought 2 days after they announced the $49 deal and I couldn't be happier. I'm retired, and couldn't justify the cost of an iPhone 4. There are also apps that replace some of the iPhone 4 only apps/features like FaceTime and Find My Phone. They are available from the App Store, and you don't need to jailbreak your phone.

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't do the 3GS. No way. Even the Android phone, the Galaxy S is way better than that. You will HATE the battery life and envy you iPhone 4 friends. My wife has 3GS and wishes she would have gotten the 4 like I have.

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah then the 3GS iPhone will be like jumping from your Jeep to a Benz. Go for it if keeping price low is your main priority. You wont be disappointed.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Purchase price is nothing compared to contract price. $150 is not a big difference when the contract costs the same all year round no matter what phone you pick. I'd go with iPhone 4 if I were you.

jponte55

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Total cost of ownership for average AT&T contract for two years.

3GS - $2,210
4G - $2,360

edited for 2 phones!

3GS - $4,420
4G - $4,720

Do people just not count the monthly cost of having a cell phone when determining what phone to get?

HellKatzX

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My dad got one of these and it's his first smart phone. I think it's perfect because it was cheap and by the time he learns how to use the phone his 2 year contract will be up :D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Considering the 3G has been phased out of software updates, I would think 3GS may be soon. To me, its not worth using a upgrade. Go buy a used one online somewhere. Save the upgrade

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods