Does the 3G iPad work in Italy w/ At&T or w/ Verizon?

Can u make phone calls w/ it?

Thx
    04-17-2011 02:13 PM
    You won't have AT&T or Verizon's services there unless you add their international roaming as those carriers are not providers in Italy, or anywhere in Europe. If you add the roaming you should be able to use all the apps you have but keep in mind it's not that cheap. My advice would be to use Wifi only (wherever it's accessible), forget about 3G, and make calls over Skype or something similar if that's your goal.
    04-17-2011 04:51 PM
    Use the AT&T version, but stick in a local carrier sim since the iPad is unlocked.
    04-17-2011 04:59 PM
    it is for my father in law. He is as un savvy as someone can be.

I think I understand, Purchase a ATT 3G and when he gets to Italy he will have to purchase a sim card and a plan from a local provider.

I was hoping there would have been a better way, he may get to confused trying to accomplish this.

Funny how something that seems so simple to most can seem almost impossible to some, he is 80 yrs old.

Thanks
    04-17-2011 08:16 PM
    To answer the original question more precisely, you cannot use Verizon in Italy as there is no CDMA in Europe. You would at least be able to roam with AT&T, but it is outrageously expensive.
    04-17-2011 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD